ADVERTISEMENT

Cal press conference: "I'm overrated as a recruiter"

Did we not just land an awesome class this season?

Do we not have two top 10 kids already for next season?

This is ridiculous.

I mean yeah you can say it's slipped. We haven't landed many top 5 guys recently. But let's be honest here, he's still a top notch recruiter.
He's technically only got one top ten guy signed I wouldn't bank on the other top ten guy until he signs on the dotted line.......

Agree on the new generation. The game is going to crap with dudes just crossing the halfcourt and jacking it up. No plays called me me me me me...btw your posts were read by that memphis radio station kudos

Haha I didnt hear that. What did those old lards have to say?

You know our last coach to take a huge stand for doing things the right way was Tubby and he paid for it.

The demands of winning at a blue blood.. you either give in and do what the rest of the country does or you get shoved out of the way.
Isn’t it sad that morals and doing things the ethical way is punished and frowned upon? Sad indeed.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Well that doesn't sound like the guy who straight walked up to Mick Cronin when we swooped in and got Teague over Cincy and basically said, "suck it. We're Kentucky and you're not." Not an exact quote, but it is a well documented exchange when Cronin was butthurt over Teague.

"Kentucky eats first".

What happened to that shit?

Just who do you think you can get that is better? Until a name can be produced, all this whiny sniffling is like a billionaire crying because someone got 1.1 billion. People need to grow up. This is what we got. It is NOT changing. Support the program or go find someone to whine to that can make a difference.

Are Maxey and Whitney that bad, cmon. This is silly.

“Are Maxey and Whitney that bad, cmon. This is silly.” - 2018

“So what if we didn’t get Dwight Howard or Josh Smith. We got Rondo-Crawford-Morris!” - 2004

If we're not going to sign more elite players in this class then it's time for Cal to find the players who best compliment the skills that Maxey and Whitney brings to the table next season.

Reactions: JC43
Glad we can sleep easy at night. Who needs titles when you can sleep easy at night? After all, winning a title would keep us all up at night. That's not healthy, so I'm glad we'll all be in bed early on that first Monday night in April.

Step off the cliff man. Cal has had what, one or two years or not fielding a final four team? Next year he already has some elite recruits signed. Cut the man some slack. Two months ago we were all watching him fly all over the country working harder than any other coach in college. Like he said, he won’t win them all. It isn’t like he is sitting around twiddling his thumbs. The man works his ass off.

Reactions: JC43
I would like for him to just find a shooting guard under the radar that can shoot the dam ball. He does not have to be a five star just a good all around player that can shoot

Reactions: billCgmx
I would like for him to just find a shooting guard under the radar that can shoot the dam ball. He does not have to be a five star just a good all around player that can shoot

He's gonna get open first and not stand around. That has been Cal's offense with shooters standing hearing him yell.

“Are Maxey and Whitney that bad, cmon. This is silly.” - 2018

“So what if we didn’t get Dwight Howard or Josh Smith. We got Rondo-Crawford-Morris!” - 2004
ah, team turmoil, the memories...what could of been if Rondo and Bradley didn't ban* ,err um the door. That was effed up.
Btw josh smith is in China burning it up.
Like they say,

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
Man, we sure have come a long way from "I'm here because I can recruit the best of the best."

Yep. That press conference was really one of the least "swaggy" Cal moments ever. A VERY different demeanor than the one he conveyed in his early years here. He's starting to seem a bit deflated and burnt out.

I know my truth

Cals, you're just constantly bashing! I can see where people would think that honestly. We all want what you want.....championships! But there is a reason we've only won 8 in our history. It's just that hard to do. Soooooooo many things have to play into your favor, just to sniff the FF, let alone win the damn thing. Do I agree with everything Cal does? Hell no but I support him and realize that he knows a hellava lot more than I do. Maybe we missed out on alot of the top guys for damn good reasons? Nobody mentions that but there have obviously been alot of top guys asking for stuff and alot of their names have been included in the scandal, including Zion. So, I'm just going to trust my guy Cal knows what he's doing and I'm gonna cheer my team on. I find that makes me happier than constantly bitching and moaning about shit I know nothing about.

Last edited:
Reactions: michaeluk26
I've said it many times. I've never once worried about recruiting since Cal has been here. He will get talent. What I would like for him to do is use that talent to let our guys be the aggressor instead of continually being on their heels.

Yep, he's backed himself into this corner with some of his rhetoric.

The landscape changes, nothing is going to be constant.

The issue at hand is - is Cal willing to adjust or adapt his approach to recognize the current situation, or is he so invested in his approach that he thinks the blue blood programs can't keep landing classes better than he can.

Reactions: Cawood86
The landscape changes, nothing is going to be constant.

The issue at hand is - is Cal willing to adjust or adapt his approach to recognize the current situation, or is he so invested in his approach that he thinks the blue blood programs can't keep landing classes better than he can.
I don't if he will, but I do believe he should "tweak" his approach.

Love how Cal stays in headlines by, "I'm over rated", when the headlines should be talking bout Penny getting the #2player of 2019. How the article's all state that Cal has had at least the number 2 class each of his seasons at UK...:pimp:
Way to stay in headlines.
Go Big Blue!!!!:cool2:

Heres some advice to Cal, Tell the kids what they want to hear. Jesus christ every other coach does and then uses Cals "honest approach" to recruit negatively against him.

Cal " I can't promise you playing time you have to earn it"

Every other coach "We will give you 30 shots and 40 minutes a game" Then they get to campus and learn that was just a recruiting pitch to get them there.

The difference? The other coaches are getting top players and Cal is not. Would anyone here really be mad if Cal promised Zion/RJ/Wiseman/Carey whatever they wanted and we got them? No
You’re getting 2 of the top 10 recruits. What are you all crying about? You’ll have a top 3 to 5 recruiting class. You’ll have guys coming back next year that will be better than this year. You should have a team that’s good enough to make the final four and from there you have a shot

Reactions: kl40504
Cal is great. I don't want anybody else. BUT ... he does need to change a few things up.

I'm all for him getting the right kids and not lying to them. That is fine. What we cannot do is get the "second tier" One-and-Dones. If you are recruiting OAD's only (and that is basically what we are doing), then you have to get the best-of-the-best. If you don't you will NEVER win another National Championship and we are just a feeder system to the NBA. And I'm going to bet 99% of us want National Titles, not NBA roster guys.

So either get the elite OAD's OR change your recruiting philosophy and get a few 3-4 year guys (i.e. Darius Miller) who will build the program. The total roster turnover every year is getting old.

I may have felt different had we gone 40-0 and won it all in 2015 ... but you know what ... Cal never called timeout and told Andrew to throw it to Karl every time down, we got the shot clock violations and we lost.

Reactions: Big Cat fan
After all the “gold standard, move the needle, best of the best” talk, this looks weak. If he’s abandoning that approach, fine - but you have to outright say that and change the culture at the program.

I do not like this look at all. At all.
I feel so sorry for you.

Cal is great. I don't want anybody else. BUT ... he does need to change a few things up.

I'm all for him getting the right kids and not lying to them. That is fine. What we cannot do is get the "second tier" One-and-Dones. If you are recruiting OAD's only (and that is basically what we are doing), then you have to get the best-of-the-best. If you don't you will NEVER win another National Championship and we are just a feeder system to the NBA. And I'm going to bet 99% of us want National Titles, not NBA roster guys.

So either get the elite OAD's OR change your recruiting philosophy and get a few 3-4 year guys (i.e. Darius Miller) who will build the program. The total roster turnover every year is getting old.

I may have felt different had we gone 40-0 and won it all in 2015 ... but you know what ... Cal never called timeout and told Andrew to throw it to Karl every time down, we got the shot clock violations and we lost.

Where you been? Nice seeing your posts again.

Cals, you're just constantly bashing! I can see where people would think that honestly. We all want what you want.....championships! But there is a reason we've only won 8 in our history. It's just that hard to do. Soooooooo many things have to play into your favor, just to sniff the FF, let alone when the damn thing. Do I agree with everything Cal does? Hell no but I support him and realize that he knows a hellava lot more than I do. Maybe we missed out on alot of the top guys for damn good reasons? Nobody mentions that but there have obviously been alot of top guys asking for stuff and alot of their names have been included in the scandal, including Zion. So, I'm just going to trust my guy Cal knows what he's doing and I'm gonna cheer my team on. I find that makes me happier than constantly bitching and moaning about shit I know nothing about.
Dean Smith was at UNC 36 years and won only 2 championships. That is how hard it is to win a championship. And for most of those years you had to win your conference to go to the tournament which meant it was much easier to win because fewer good teams were in the tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
No matter how pissed we are at Calipari nobody can step in and do a better job right now.

No matter how pissed we are at Calipari nobody can step in and do a better job right now.

I'd agree with that, but Cal needs to get in front of this. The UK fan base doesn't accept coach speak as a substitute for performance.

For people saying tell the recruits whatever to get them, him challenging them and telling them that had to compete and share the ball was what almost literally every big time recruit we got here said they came for. Everyone else was telling them they would get all the shots and be the face of the program. It's this obvious shoe company corruption that's hurting us most.

It might do Cal good to be humbled a bit in recruiting and coaching. I’m all on the Cal train but I do think he’s lost an edge since that loss to Wisconsin. I think we’ve seen spirts ofnthe old Cal when he sensed a run from his teams like the Fox/Monk team. I believe he’s adjusting and I think we’ll keep more holdovers. Changing the 1 & done rule may be the refresher he needs soon.

Think of it this way - Calipari is telegraphing to the fan base and to future recruits that he is doing things above board and will require student athletes to earn their playing time, will give them the absolute best exposure to future NBA staff and will develop them as he knows how in order for them to achieve their goals.

When you have the top schools luring players with money, expensive houses, fringe benefits that extend to the players families in the form of jobs and opportunities, you are already at a major disadvantage. They could not beat Calipari at his own game, so they had to enlist the shoe companies to help them overcome his sales pitch.

Where is the NCAA in the enforcement of current policy violations? They have all been spelled out clearly in the FBI investigation. Their silence speaks volumes about the inequity of the system and the inherent bias against certain coaches and schools. This, to me, is the real controversy that no one is talking about. I don't blame Calipari for the recruiting losses. I blame the NCAA.

Rack ^^^

ADVERTISEMENT