ADVERTISEMENT

Cal press conference: "I'm overrated as a recruiter"

Heres some advice to Cal, Tell the kids what they want to hear. Jesus christ every other coach does and then uses Cals "honest approach" to recruit negatively against him.

Cal " I can't promise you playing time you have to earn it"

Every other coach "We will give you 30 shots and 40 minutes a game" Then they get to campus and learn that was just a recruiting pitch to get them there.

The difference? The other coaches are getting top players and Cal is not. Would anyone here really be mad if Cal promised Zion/RJ/Wiseman/Carey whatever they wanted and we got them? No

I knew he would make some sort of smart ass remark...does it almost as routinely as he says "we are young that's what young teams do" or "this loss is on me indidnt have them prepared"....just go win games and land top talent or shut up...its not a good look.

Heres some advice to Cal, Tell the kids what they want to hear. Jesus christ every other coach does and then uses Cals "honest approach" against him.

Cal " I can't promise you playing time you have to earn it"

Every other coach "We will give you 30 shots and 40 minutes a game" Then they get to campus and learn that was just a recruiting pitch to get them there.

The difference? The other coaches are getting top players and Cal is not. Would anyone here really be mad if Cal promised Zion/RJ/Wiseman/Carey whatever they wanted and we got them? No
I agree with ya..... ppl put to much thought into Cal being a "leader of young men" and all that garbage.... hes a basketball coach... get the best players, win the most games, don't do anything dumb like bang a cheerleader.... pretty simple...

Just tell him what they want. We all know a five star is gonna come in and play. So ****ing tell them that and quit with the bullshit that UK isnt for everybody. If I'm a recruit that's a red flag right there.

Cal is a teacher first. And like all teachers that bites them in the butt sometimes.

Lying to a kid is not cool. If he loses a few recruits for being honest, I may not like it, but at the end of the day, I’d rather us be upright than win at all cost. Sorry. I still have honor and integrity. And I’m glad Cal does too.

I don’t like the idea of tainted trophies or win at all cost. If some one wants that there’s a nice program down the road where that mentality is more than welcome.

He wasn’t overrated for the first 5 years at UK.
What happened?
He had no competition before. Recruits now realize they can go to any school and be a one and done. Before it was thought of that you had to see Cal to make that happen. Now it's just common practice these days to go after one year.

He is still a good recruiter though.

It's not you who is overrated, Cal. In fact I'd argue Cal is underrated, since he churns out Top 3 classes year after year while not buying kids houses and giving them 20 000 dollar tips ( you know, The Bill Self School of Recruiting )

The assistant coaches, however, are a different story. And since Cal is loyal to a fault, since it doesn't seem we are getting rid of those clowns anytime soon, since Cal's in-game coaching ability these days is not even close to the guy who had frickin UMass in the Final Four, who had Memphis within one shot of a national title, who set the college basketball world on fire at UK from 2010 until 2015, expect the downward spiral of our program to continue

Has Whitney signed?
Read on 24/7 or sbnation ,something to that effect, financial aid papers or something.
Talking bout how we will likely miss out on both JW and Carey, continued to say we signed two top 10 players and allen so...

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I'm about ready to call him overrated as well. His pitch worked five years ago. Not so much now.

You already do say it, at every opportunity. That is your opinion and I respect your right to have one, but, I respectfully disagree. When Cal does decide to hang it up, five years later, UK fans will look back at his time in Lexington as the 'good old days'.

After all the “gold standard, move the needle, best of the best” talk, this looks weak. If he’s abandoning that approach, fine - but you have to outright say that and change the culture at the program.

I do not like this look at all. At all.
meh. everyone knows he’s not an overrated recruiter. that’s a comment imo more about the perception he had with bbn a few ago as apposed to today. he is speaking only to bbn, unfortunately that has to be publicized. it’s give and take and i’m frankly glad bbn has a coach who at least talks to us about the things we’re concerned about. it doesn’t look good to the outside maybe (but they wouldn't agree with his comment anyway imo), but his message to us was sent.

Knowing how Cal speaks, I see his quote as being directed at the chicken little fans that now claim he’s lost his edge.

Hope he never has to stoop to the level of the liars and the cheaters. He’ll still get plenty of talented kids.

I think it is to let UK fans know that when we do get a recruit, we can be assured no underhanded things were done to get him. This was such a make or break recruit for Penny, that I am not so sure that is the case with him going to Memphis.

He had no competition before. Recruits now realize they can go to any school and be a one and done. Before it was thought of that you had to see Cal to make that happen. Now it's just common practice these days to go after one year.

He is still a good recruiter though.
Yeah, seemed to start with Ben Simmons going to LSU. Kids saw that and realized they could skate through 8 months at a fun school and still go high in the draft. Kids tend to go the easy route these days.

And then there's the shoe money which apparently Cal stays away from. Put it all together, and we get the #10-30 players who still think they're one and done.

What Cal really needs to do is tell some of these guys they need to come back to school next year. There is no way in hell Richards or really even Montgomery should go pro after this year. There have been way to many borderline guys leaving the program the last couple of years.

I knew he would make some sort of smart ass remark...does it almost as routinely as he says "we are young that's what young teams do" or "this loss is on me indidnt have them prepared"....just go win games and land top talent or shut up...its not a good look.

lmfao...

giphy.gif

Reactions: 420grover
Cals teams only go as far as the quality of the big men. Its a proven fact
Kentucky will have someone as good as Josh Harrelson, no offense to Josh. The only other big on that team was freshman Terrence Jones who had lots of growing pains. And that team was a point from playing Butler for the National Championship. Now that IS a proven fact -- one you can look up.

meh. everyone knows he’s not an overrated recruiter. that’s a comment imo more about the perception he had with bbn a few ago as apposed to today. he is speaking only to bbn, unfortunately that has to be publicized. it’s give and take and i’m frankly glad bbn has a coach who at least talks to us about the things we’re concerned about. it doesn’t look good to the outside maybe (but they wouldn't agree with his comment anyway imo), but his message to us was sent.

I agree with this. Excellent points.

He gave us the message....but most of BBN doesn't really want to hear it.

He's telling us that if we think he is "good enough" to overcome attachments to AAU coaches, childhood dreams of playing somewhere else, family ties to other programs, not to mention parents getting homes and other stuff....we are overrating him.

Well that doesn't sound like the guy who straight walked up to Mick Cronin when we swooped in and got Teague over Cincy and basically said, "suck it. We're Kentucky and you're not." Not an exact quote, but it is a well documented exchange when Cronin was butthurt over Teague.

"Kentucky eats first".

What happened to that shit?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT