ADVERTISEMENT

Cal on hami

When did I say I wanted Cal gone? There's no better fit for UK than Cal and hope he stays as long as he wants. That doesn't mean I like or agree with everything he says.

I didn't say you did. Just noted the "tired" portion and I apologize for mentioning it.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Not many parents in this thread.
an-illustrated-united-states-history-lesson-through-the-crying-on-jordan-crying-meme.png

VERY disturbing comment. Not even high school coaches talk about parents. If you’re coaching concerned about parents well that isn’t a good place to be. Don’t like he comments on this one bit. It’s college, they are men. You think professor cares about parents? My parents sent me off to college and left me alone with my coaches and professors. These guys aren’t babies my gosh!
It’s also called knowing the right things to day for recruiting purposes . You think the parents of guys he is recruiting wouldn’t love a statement like this ?

What pisses me off most is Cal saying that crap like Hami is a senior with just a few games left to hopefully play good enough to get drafted. The kid is a damn freshman. Not that I want him back but Cal needs to back off that crap of certain players having to be OAD.

After that quote he said something along the lines of “we also have to win the game, we have to have you playing at a high level and if you’re not at that level I’m gonna cut your minutes.”

Exactly!!

Cal has most definitely CUT Hami's minutes in the last month. He was getting twice as much PT before SEC play started. So he has definitely "rode the pine" a lot more since his play has gotten so bad.

Matt Jones stated that Hami is the first player in the gym for practice and the last to leave after. Also, he is a great kid. This is the main reason Coach Cal has shown Hami so much love.

Ole lying Cal... (That is what a bunch of you are stating. Use cute terms to soften your statements but you're calling Cal a liar.)

Think about what you state before you state it.

Words mean things.

Tell him NOT to spot up on the three point line. Tell him to guard his man much better. Tell him to do the fundamental thing and use the backboard. Tell him to block out. Tell him not to dribble in traffic. Tell him to change his lousy pre-shot free throw routine and start hitting more than one free throw every trip to the line. These are not difficult things. He needs to get out of his own way by doing easy and fundamental things correctly.

Reactions: morgousky
I didn't read the thread so it's probably been said, but every kid on this roster is someones son. Just because Hami came into Kentucky with his parents thinking he was Lebron James doesn't mean others have to sit.

That's not what this is.

Cal is still recruiting during games, which has cost this team in mega ways this year.

Reactions: john4uk
One more thing, Cal's ego is nearly out of control. He's not their parents, he's not a scout for the NBA. He's not the savior and he cant rescue every overrated top 15 player that he misses on. The job description is Head COACH of the University of Kentucky.

He needs to remember that. It could serve him well down the line when he's not winning and needs support.

Having read the full comment, it's not as bad because he discussed the need to be able to play. But the intention of the statement was again to put individuals over the team and I just cannot stand it anymore.

But I have no choice but to deal with it so thats that.

Reactions: john4uk
VERY disturbing comment. Not even high school coaches talk about parents. If you’re coaching concerned about parents well that isn’t a good place to be. Don’t like he comments on this one bit. It’s college, they are men. You think professor cares about parents? My parents sent me off to college and left me alone with my coaches and professors. These guys aren’t babies my gosh!
You’re wrong on this. At this level, the parents DO talk to the coach often. Especially when they are freshman. Do you know any 18-19 year olds? These kids just got their license a couple of years ago. They are too young to drink. We’re not t;asking about a seasoned NBA player and his relationship with the coach. The parents are involved. Have you gone to a game? The kid’s parents are there and when they come out of the locker room to leave, they hug their Mom and Dad and siblings like it’s a grade school game. Last game I went to SGA’s brother and his friends were all waiting to see him afterwards. They all acted like the bunch of kids that they all are. Cal is communicating to kids AND parents that he spoke to in their homes in the beginning. Just because you don’t like it, doesn’t make it reality. Maybe you should just watch NBA and not college sports. There’s a big difference in the management.

It just totally went over your head. He's not worried about Hami's parents; that's just absurd. He's worried about the kid. He's saying he's trying to do everything he can to show the kid love and compassion and help him through this. Will it work? Who knows. But one thing that is certain; if he pulls the plug there's no chance he helps the team the rest of the year.

I've been as down on Hami as anyone. He doesn't play winning basketball. But he does play hard; he just makes dumb mistakes, often at the worst times. I'm not convinced at all that it will change, at least this year. That being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with what Cal said. In fact, it makes him a better person than I, or the vast majority of posters on this board, would probably be if in the same situation.

Now you’re just wrong. It is about the kid and it’s about making sure the parents are satisfied. I call it coaching “out of fear”. I think cal feels guilty that diallo came back and doesn’t want to deal with the consequences. Only thing worse than a primadonna is the primadonna’s parents. If it cals comment did bother you then he could kill a person and you’d still defend him. I call it like I see it.

Now you’re just wrong. It is about the kid and it’s about making sure the parents are satisfied. I call it coaching “out of fear”. I think cal feels guilty that diallo came back and doesn’t want to deal with the consequences. Only thing worse than a primadonna is the primadonna’s parents. If it cals comment did bother you then he could kill a person and you’d still defend him. I call it like I see it.

I don't doubt you call them like you see them. I just think this is above your level of comprehension.

Some interesting per-minute stats from the Alabama game today:

SCORERS
Vanderbilt 0.579 points per minute
Washington 0.571
Diallo 0.533
Knox 0.520
Richards 0.476
Gabriel 0.278
SGA 0.158

REBOUNDERS
Vanderbilt 0.474 rebounds per minute
Gabriel 0.389
Diallo 0.267
Knox 0.200
Richards 0.190
Washington 0.179
SGA 0.105

How about this one? In 15 min of play diallo jacked up 9 shots! NiNE shots! That’s almost a shot per posession. We cannot afford to have him on the floor. Period! Last game we are up 5, diallo goes in for 1 minute! After his 1 minute we were down 1. I mean this is real simple people. Diallo is a massive liability. He would be good at a school where he’s THE man and cam shoot for volume like 20-25 shots a game. He would get a rythmn here and there but at Kentucky with all we have cal has to simply did what he did with skal and keep him on the bench.

Reactions: wildcatfan-2-
I don't doubt you call them like you see them. I just think this is above your level of comprehension.

Considering the fact I’ve coach young men at a high level I’ve seen this rodeo before. So I think this in all reality wayyy over your head!

How about this one? In 15 min of play diallo jacked up 9 shots! NiNE shots! That’s almost a shot per posession. We cannot afford to have him on the floor. Period! Last game we are up 5, diallo goes in for 1 minute! After his 1 minute we were down 1. I mean this is real simple people. Diallo is a massive liability. He would be good at a school where he’s THE man and cam shoot for volume like 20-25 shots a game. He would get a rythmn here and there but at Kentucky with all we have cal has to simply did what he did with skal and keep him on the bench.
About 3 of those were on 1 play where he kept fighting for rebounds and eventually got a foul called on the millionth putback.

Reactions: EliteBlue
What about SKJ's parents? I personally get a little tired of this "coach speak" from Cal.
Watch some other team and coach then , how about that ! There’s a sewer of commuter school just up the road might need a few fans about now

Cal is dead on the mark. The funny part is so many miss the real point of his intent. Let me translate.

We ain’t going nowhere without Hami on top of his game. He’s in a funk and you whiners aren’t doing a damn thing to help me get him out of it.

But you guys go on trashing our players. Nobody holds the profoundly ignorant responsible.

Reactions: JC43
One more thing, Cal's ego is nearly out of control. He's not their parents, he's not a scout for the NBA. He's not the savior and he cant rescue every overrated top 15 player that he misses on. The job description is Head COACH of the University of Kentucky.

He needs to remember that. It could serve him well down the line when he's not winning and needs support.

Having read the full comment, it's not as bad because he discussed the need to be able to play. But the intention of the statement was again to put individuals over the team and I just cannot stand it anymore.

But I have no choice but to deal with it so thats that.

Maybe, he's not worried about anyone supporting "him". Now or down the line. It's called, doing the right thing. If it hurts or it doesn't hurt. Do the right thing. I am the first to admit I do not know what the right thing in basketball is, period. I do know that if Cal gave a player's parents or the player a commitment to never give up on them as long as they don't give up on themselves, I'd state he is honoring his commitment. An agreement is a two way street. i won't go further but maybe, just maybe Cal is keeping his word. (Whether Cal's word it sells or not, it should.)(I don't know all the details. I have not read all this thread.)

Reactions: morgousky

This post is funny actually. Of all the issues the team is dealing with, it focuses on one of the more trivial issues. One players shooting percentage

I totally agree with you. He killed us in the last game against Auburn, and in several games prior, if he had not been in there committing turnovers, bad shots, etc., we win.
As one of the writers on KSR stated, "Right now he is a net negative". He has more turnovers on the year than assists. He is a shooting guard who cannot shoot. What an anomaly!
But, he is someone's son so he gets to start ahead of Quade, as opposed to PJ Washington who lost his starting job. I guess he's an orphan. What a dumb thing to say, Cal! I still like you, but sometimes you could be less of a politician and more of a realist.

I've always felt Cal takes a longer vision than us fans when it comes to players.

We live game by game and if a player absolutely stinks and costing us games, we wonder why the hell hasn't Cal benched him.

But honestly..........if we are going to make a run in the tournament, Hami is going to be a part of that run. Plain and simple.

He has to get going and I don't believe it's from the bench.
The problem is Hami has a semester s worth of experience on his teammates and doesn't often show it.IHami is a good basketball player can't seem to satisfy his coach.The guy can practically jump out of the gym but has been oft criticized for dunking the ball early on,so now he seldom does it,he's been criticized for shot selection,so now he is often hesitant to shoot and has lost o lot of confidence in his shot.Perhaps these are the reasons Cal is talking about him the way he is because he nearly broke him and is trying to build him back up.

I've always felt Cal takes a longer vision than us fans when it comes to players.

We live game by game and if a player absolutely stinks and costing us games, we wonder why the hell hasn't Cal benched him.

But honestly..........if we are going to make a run in the tournament, Hami is going to be a part of that run. Plain and simple.

He has to get going and I don't believe it's from the bench.
Yeah, he's right of course. We've basically got three guards and he has to play. Cal has to try and salvage his confidence and get him back on track.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Cal is dead on the mark. The funny part is so many miss the real point of his intent. Let me translate.

We ain’t going nowhere without Hami on top of his game. He’s in a funk and you whiners aren’t doing a damn thing to help me get him out of it.

But you guys go on trashing our players. Nobody holds the profoundly ignorant responsible.

your translation skills suck, but I'm sure you feel better getting that off your chest.

This post is funny actually. Of all the issues the team is dealing with, it focuses on one of the more trivial issues. One players shooting percentage

IT was in response to op throwing out “3rd in scoring blah blah blah”. Anyone saying we need diallo to make a run is buying cals bs. No way do we do jack in the tourney if diallo plays big minutes. I can see it now diallo with the ball in his hands down two and under ten seconds. He will kill us without a doubt. He isn’t gonna turn into a good B.B. player in two weeks: this is something else cal needs to stop saying. Others pick up the slack nicely without diallo. Cal needs to make a choice. 1 player or the team and the program that’s where we re at. Btw he could blow up and have a super game Tuesday but the fact will remain he is a liability to get wins. If cal keeps him in the court today we lose that simple

Last edited:
Reactions: wildcatfan-2-
Cal is full of crap - his post game press conference was all BS. Ask Delbert Willis if he gave one crap about his feelings in regards to Derek. Cal wants to talk about everything but strategy
He is being held hostage by Hami simple as that - this kid should be playing the one minute before TV timeouts

What pisses me off most is Cal saying that crap like Hami is a senior with just a few games left to hopefully play good enough to get drafted. The kid is a damn freshman. Not that I want him back but Cal needs to back off that crap of certain players having to be OAD.

You just hate Cal period. We know it. You know it. Tell us something we don’t know.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood

Does it really matter what “pisses you off” though?

I’ll answer... no

Well that love for the Harrison twins cost us the Wisconsin game.

No it didn't. Cals affinity for the "take the air out of the ball offense" when we were only up by a few points with 5 minutes left cost us that game. Should have just fed the ball to Towns every single possession. The Harrisons were the primary reason we didn't get blown out in the first half of that game. Booker's defense was by far the biggest thing Wisconsin exploited all game. Andrew and Aaron gave us the best chance to win that game. The shot clock violations are on Cal, not them.

ADVERTISEMENT