ADVERTISEMENT

Cal on hami

Hell he must hate Brad if this is the way he’s thinking

I think Cal is to strict on some players and to easy on others. How many times since he has been here have we seen certain players make one mistake and they are benched and others continually make mistakes and barely have to sit? I wonder how much of an effect that has on players. It is like he coddles the guys with the most potential just so he can add another guy to the NBA. I wouldn't be surprised if that is used against him in recruiting. I could just see other coaches saying, "if you aren't one of his favorite players you will keep getting benched and inevitably recruited over."

Reactions: new era cat
If you watched Hami cost us 8 points the first half
I wish he had hit that first shot as I wish he had hit that 3 at Auburn but he didn't. Fortunately, his minutes were then limited with Quade giving us a huge lift instead. But in the second half Hami had a couple good plays, did get lost on defense once or twice but gave good effort.

I don’t understand the need for the comment. I don’t know 1 person who says give up on Hami but what about SKJ? I would not fault SKJ on bit for leaving if he did.

Fact is right now, Hami is not producing on offense or defense. For someone who has a huge vertical, he seems to even struggle using that right now. I hope he gets it going because he should be one of our best players but right now he just isn’t. It shouldn’t matter at this level about Hami being someone’s son.
SKJ does a lot of good things. I really like his hustle and he works, but he can't be falling asleep on defense if he wants to be in the game at the end. He's performing his role 90% of the time but don't spend the other 10% giving up easy baskets the same way.

VERY disturbing comment. Not even high school coaches talk about parents. If you’re coaching concerned about parents well that isn’t a good place to be. Don’t like he comments on this one bit. It’s college, they are men. You think professor cares about parents? My parents sent me off to college and left me alone with my coaches and professors. These guys aren’t babies my gosh!

It just totally went over your head. He's not worried about Hami's parents; that's just absurd. He's worried about the kid. He's saying he's trying to do everything he can to show the kid love and compassion and help him through this. Will it work? Who knows. But one thing that is certain; if he pulls the plug there's no chance he helps the team the rest of the year.

I've been as down on Hami as anyone. He doesn't play winning basketball. But he does play hard; he just makes dumb mistakes, often at the worst times. I'm not convinced at all that it will change, at least this year. That being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with what Cal said. In fact, it makes him a better person than I, or the vast majority of posters on this board, would probably be if in the same situation.

Actually, yes that’s what you should do. He has done it to numerous players in the past.

Just because he imagines Diallo being a draft pick doesn’t change that fact. Play the best guys.

Everyone else on the team is somebody's son. Why is he the most important son? Never understood that argument.[/QUOTE
Perhaps because of what the staff knows that may not be any of our business. Sometimes those who deserve love the least, need it the most.

The young man is very talented and we should all be hoping hech run.e stret gets his game together for th

Is he really?

People assume he's "very talented" because he was rated so high in HS, but truthfully, he's a poor ballhandler for a guard, he's a poor passer, and he's a poor shooter. Seems to me dribbling, passing and shooting are the most basic skills a basketball player should have, and Hami's lacking in all three areas.

I think maybe he was just wildly overrated in high school. Scouts were so blown away by his incredible athleticism that they overlooked how weak his ball skills are. Well, this ain't track and field, running and jumping only gets you so far in this sport.

Last edited:
I understand he wants to build his confidence and taking him out of the startig line-up coud kill it. I get it, and it' not about who starts but who plays more and finishes

What about SKJ's parents? I personally get a little tired of this "coach speak" from Cal.
Or PJ's parents. He lost his starting job to Wenyan, (which is fine with me) , and I don't think PJ was playing his position nearly as horribly as Hami was his. Quade should have got the start today, and he showed why when he came in.

Last edited:
I've always felt Cal takes a longer vision than us fans when it comes to players.

We live game by game and if a player absolutely stinks and costing us games, we wonder why the hell hasn't Cal benched him.

But honestly..........if we are going to make a run in the tournament, Hami is going to be a part of that run. Plain and simple.

He has to get going and I don't believe it's from the bench.

He was one of the main reasons why we beat West Virginia. We need that Hami back, a lock down defender and score when needed.

Hami was NOT bad today. Best he's played in several games. Cal is managing wisely.

Reactions: JC43
He was one of the main reasons why we beat West Virginia. We need that Hami back, a lock down defender and score when needed.

The thing is, that was one game and that's because Hami doesn't pride himself being a lockdown defender. He's no Deandre Liggins who enjoyed shutting down opponents. Hami would rather be Jamal Murray except he can't throw it in the ocean. There was a quote last week where he told Cal that he was frustrated because he wants to help the team by scoring buckets.. Vando is a terrible shooter but gets a pass because he does everything else well.. Other than looking physically ready (like Azubuike) Diallo is nowhere ready to be in the G-League.

Wow. This year has really gotten to people. All he meant is why throw him to the bench and give up on him. Kid is trying and all Cal is trying to do is humanize the situation. Fans have a tendency just to treat this kids as pieces.

Good lord people.

Actually it sounds like he is putting Diallo above Shai and Quade.
Excuse us if that makes no sense at this point...

^ this. The best players should play simple as that. I give 0 Fs abt Hami draft stock

I wonder what's going on with SKJ?He was giving us some quality minutes.

Play the best players and forget about everything else. You're not his nursemaid.

If all stay healthy, Hami and SKJ will be 8th and 9th in the rotation. (except for excessive foul trouble)
Same as today. Another 5 or 6 games, Vando is top 5 or 6 .

I think Cal is to strict on some players and to easy on others. How many times since he has been here have we seen certain players make one mistake and they are benched and others continually make mistakes and barely have to sit? I wonder how much of an effect that has on players. It is like he coddles the guys with the most potential just so he can add another guy to the NBA. I wouldn't be surprised if that is used against him in recruiting. I could just see other coaches saying, "if you aren't one of his favorite players you will keep getting benched and inevitably recruited over."

He has to get guys to the NBA.
That's why they came here.
I believe they transfer this year if they don't.

What about SKJ's parents? I personally get a little tired of this "coach speak" from Cal.

Well he's going to be here for quite a while. It's a good thing you're are only a little tired. That way you might last a while longer, or not.

So we've succumbed to the parents coaching Cal rather than Cal coaching their kid. When we're 38-0 is easy to ignore these comments by Cal but when we are on the bubble, it's bothersome.
It was a piss poor analogy. I get what he is trying to say, but damn if that didn't sound awful.

Well he's going to be here for quite a while. It's a good thing you're are only a little tired. That way you might last a while longer, or not.

When did I say I wanted Cal gone? There's no better fit for UK than Cal and hope he stays as long as he wants. That doesn't mean I like or agree with everything he says.

I've always felt Cal takes a longer vision than us fans when it comes to players.

We live game by game and if a player absolutely stinks and costing us games, we wonder why the hell hasn't Cal benched him.

But honestly..........if we are going to make a run in the tournament, Hami is going to be a part of that run. Plain and simple.

He has to get going and I don't believe it's from the bench.

That is a great point. I just hope he is not to broken to be able to. If he is then he needs to sit.

So have politicians....
So, politicians have also forgotten more basketball than most of us know? I don't know about that.

Sure, that's a gross understatement when it comes to Calipari. But, how do you know politicians have forgotten more basketball than most of us know?

Some interesting per-minute stats from the Alabama game today:

SCORERS
Vanderbilt 0.579 points per minute
Washington 0.571
Diallo 0.533
Knox 0.520
Richards 0.476
Gabriel 0.278
SGA 0.158

REBOUNDERS
Vanderbilt 0.474 rebounds per minute
Gabriel 0.389