ADVERTISEMENT

Cal on agenda driven media

Do you expect that many kids from Kentucky on the team as Cal said? I don't and never did. One or 2 should be there.
How is that Cal's fault? He wanted the Hollignsworth kid, but wanted him to wait until the Spring. TH didn't want to wait and committed to WKU.

Reactions: UKvisitor
Never have understood the fascination with having players from Kentucky on the team. You get the best players you can to fit your needs. If some happen to be from Kentucky, great. If not, so what.
I think a lot of it goes back to 89-92. And that really was special.

But here are a few things about that:

It happened out of necessity, since UK lost almost all the highly recruited players on its roster, and was left with nothing but the guys who didn't have great options- in-state guys who had mostly been recruited as 10-15th guys on the roster (because teams had 15 scholarships until the early 90's) .

It wouldn't have added up to much in the big picture if the 90-91 and 91-92 teams didn't also have a stud recruit from the Bronx.

And the UK team of 92-93, which, not coincidentally, was the first year that included a recruiting class free of all pending investigation or restrictions since 88, was an enormous leap forward in terms of talent. 91-92 was a great story of overachieving, 92-93 was just a kickass college basketball team.

That is a bit of exaggeration on how many kentucky kids most fans want on the team. (How about ONE)
Cal says he doesn't listen, then how does he know enough to comment?
I Luv ya Cal but sometimes ya say some wrong stuff.
8 is an exaggeration but Cal speaks in exaggerations and his concept isn't wrong.

We could 3 peat and then have a 10 loss season in year 4 with no seniors or Ky kids and that topic will come up.

Now my personal opinion is to go get the best talent in the class. The goal is to win games and talent wins games. But if it's between a Kyky Tandy, Shelvin Mack, Scotty Hopson and an out of state that are essentially equal then I like seeing Ky kids get a shot. If there is roster space available and KY Mr. Basketball (or one of the top guys) is a legitimate D1 player then offer him for bench depth and development. He may choose elsewhere for playingtime but this program may be more valuable than playing time elsewhere to him. A 2-3 star down to Wku and UK with no NBA dreams may choose to walk on at UK. (Sometimes we don't have the space and I get that)

The one thing that I would do differently if I were the Coach are the walkons that are essentially practice bodies and victory cigars. Less Sam Malone, Johnny David and Brian Longs and more Jarred Polson, Elisha Justice, Twany Beckham. There are kids all across the state who dream of wearing blue from the time they are knee high and if you're taking someone that'll likely never see the floor, then I'm of the opinion that those spots should be instate kids that idolize this program; some of which may turn into solid college players.

Here is the catch, all those guys listed above that aren't from KY are from the PA or NJ area and Cal is still staying true to who he is and helping his friends and communities that he has been a part of so I can't hate it too much because I can never fault Cal's loyalty and truly believe he is one of the most sincere coaches in CBB.

End of the day: give me the Jimmy and Joes first and foremost and Just Win Baby.

It happened out of necessity, since UK lost almost all the highly recruited players on its roster, and was left with nothing but the guys who didn't have great options- in-state guys who had mostly been recruited as 13-15th guys on the roster (because teams had 15 scholarships until the early 90's) .

It wouldn't have added up to much in the big picture if the 90-91 and 91-92 teams didn't also have a stud recruit from the Bronx.

And the UK team of 92-93, which, not coincidentally, was the first year that included a recruiting class free of all pending investigation or restrictions since 88, was an enormous leap forward in terms of talent. 91-92 was a great story of overachieving, 92-93 was just a kickass college basketball team.
That 1993 team was damn good. Would have been awesome if we had beaten Duke in 1992. We should have.

Reactions: EliteBlue

It happened out of necessity, since UK lost almost all the highly recruited players on its roster, and was left with nothing but the guys who didn't have great options- in-state guys who had mostly been recruited as 10-15th guys on the roster (because teams had 15 scholarships until the early 90's) .

I understand the love for that team. I was in law school Pitino’s first year at UK. Great kids, whether they were from Kentucky or not.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
That is a bit of exaggeration on how many kentucky kids most fans want on the team. (How about ONE)
Nah you can't understand Cal and make that statement. if Cal had of said it any other way then he would have been dishonest about treating these kids like they are his. No parent stands by while others bash your kids. Especially when they are off based and wrong. The real fans on here know there is a system Cal follows where we come together as a team late in the season. Sure it took longer cause we were younger than even what is normal for us. Sad thing is most of these so called fans didn't even give us credit for having injuries to our best rebounder, passer, and defensive guy in JV and the guy who was called the best 3 point shooter in HS in Baker. Now that being said the fans who have paid attention to Cal knows he has people who do read the crap that the 2 percent loud minority say.

Odd time for Cal to comment , seems to me like more of a commentary on fans than the media . And if only 2 % of the base is nuts , we all should rejoice ,I'd say its more like 25 % ( LOL ) Things are running white hot for us right now , why throw shade on the 2 % , at this time ? Guessing but being the evil genius he is , prob to take heat/ pressure off our rather young team .

Reactions: Jazzycat
His comments apply to 90% of the people here. If you're offended by his comments, he's talking about you.

Well Cal, without a Kentucky kid on your roster, those recruits don't have a title to show right now. No one wants a team full of Kentucky boys, that's BS. Some of us do realize the worth in having some and apparently you see it too because you've always tried to get a few. Not buying this Calspeak.

He's on the money when it comes to the media. The entire MSM in this country hopes and wishes for their agenda to be proven right, and that's why journalism is dead. Sports journalism is no different, actually worse in some aspects.

We are discussing the University of Kentucky. Without kentucky born players, the UKBB team name is a lie and should be renamed.
Well that was dumb. Every player attends the school which is located in Kentucky. They are all students of the University of Kentucky.

Haha Cal said once. You throw a rock into a pack of dogs and the one that yelps is the one you hit....we found the one he hit here.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
I don't understand poking the bear. Cal isn't going to change any fans who he is calling out, and it only fuels them more.

I know, I know, Cal and the superfans don't care, don't need 'em, etc., but there is no reason to put a spotlight on them.

Especially at this point when a 4 game losing streak is still fresh, while being swept by UT and UF in the season.

I don’t necessarily think Cal has to have a player just because he is Kentucky born. The team needs the best of the best each year if they can sign them. However, if a kid is from Kentucky has the looks of someone who could contribute at some time in their career I’d be for going after that player.

Hollingsworth from Dunbar is having a great year at WKU. Now, that doesn’t mean he would see as much playing time or have a great impact on UK but he does appear to be talented enough to have been worthy of a Kentucky uniform.

I’m glad to see Cal showing interest in the Tandy kid from UHA. I was impressed with his play at the state tournament although his team lost. The loss wasn’t on him though. He scored 31 from everywhere and showed great quickness and ball handling skills.

The freshman guard at Adair Co is another player I hear Cal is interested in . So it’s not like he ignores Kentucky players. He just wants the best and if he feels they will help he will sign them if possible.

holy shitt...this just in; a coach exaggerated...I repeat; a college basketball coach exaggerated, to make a point...
Gawd, help us all

holy shitt...this just in; a coach exaggerated...I repeat; a college basketball coach exaggerated, to make a point...
Gawd, help us all
Fans aren't news media. Why include some fans in your comments when your point was about the news media? That is reaching out of one topic to transverse into another.

CAL also said he should have three titles at UK. I don’t know anyone expecting a title every year but when he came in he said he wanted to catch UCLA and go undefeated. By his standards of “should have three titles” and the UCLA/undefeated well that’s the standard by which he is judged. He himself is in the group of Crazy high expectations

C'mon, you can do better than that.
I was thinking the same thing about your post:sunglasses: as far as im concerned you are a solid consistent poster but you have dug your heels in so much to defend you position in this thread that the post I was referring to just comes across as ridiculous.

I was thinking the same thing about your post:sunglasses: as far as im concerned you are a solid consistent poster but you have dug your heels in so much to defend you position in this thread that the post I was referring to just comes across as ridiculous.
When you believe in what you say, you don't coward in a corner.
Few have come to my defense in this thread and that is okay by me.
I believe in what I have said in this thread and I don't need anyone else's approval to harden my conviction It just's comes naturally to this minuscule part of the BBN, aka: UKvisitor.
Imagine the view from my side of the fence, when speaking of ridiculous comments. I know you can't see it, but imagine.

I want the best players at UK and love winning. I don't care where they are from.

We have PJ Washington from KY on this year's team and he is a good young player.

Actually my interpretation of Cal’s comments was that the KY recruit was only an example. We all know the team and players have savaged

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT