ADVERTISEMENT

Cal on agenda driven media

“There’s a group of people that think I should have eight Kentucky players, and they will never change. It doesn’t matter what we do. We could win nine national championships in a row, and they’re going to say, ‘Where’s Richie?!’They’re going to be that, and the minute there’s a raindrop, you know they’re going to come out. But the rest of you — and that’s like 98.8 percent — the rest of you were with these guys, and if anybody tried to go after them, you said something… and I want to thank you.”

200.gif

I wonder if Cal may make an account on here so he can ressurect some old threads that were crrarcr around the time of the 4 game losing streak. [winking]

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
“There’s a group of people that think I should have eight Kentucky players, and they will never change. It doesn’t matter what we do. We could win nine national championships in a row, and they’re going to say, ‘Where’s Richie?!’They’re going to be that, and the minute there’s a raindrop, you know they’re going to come out. But the rest of you — and that’s like 98.8 percent — the rest of you were with these guys, and if anybody tried to go after them, you said something… and I want to thank you.”

200.gif

And this is why I LOVE Cal!!!

200.gif

That is a bit of exaggeration on how many kentucky kids most fans want on the team. (How about ONE)
Cal says he doesn't listen, then how does he know enough to comment?
I Luv ya Cal but sometimes ya say some wrong stuff.

200.gif
Legendary quote by Cal!!

Do you expect that many kids from Kentucky on the team as Cal said? I don't and never did. One or 2 should be there.

And I don't think there should be any expectation on Kentucky kids. If there is one or two, or 10 for that matter, that are Kentucky caliber players, let's get them. If not, we don't take one just to have one.

No one wants 8. Some definitely want 1/2. The rub comes in finding guys good enough to play some in a supporting role who are content to be recruited over.

But this is just deflection on Cal's part.
The vast majority of any fan unrest has nothing to do with how many Kentucky kids are on the team.

Now why he feels there needs to be deflection I don't know. Act like you've been there. 1.2 % who are unhappy should not be given notice.

Reactions: fabcat
I think Cal is right with what he said, but see it from a different angle. While I try to be positive about the team and players, I appreciate the fans that can be a little more negative about the team. To me it simply means we have the largest most passionate fan base in college bball, not just bandwagon fans but fans the truly bleed blue. Also I think Cal needs conflict to keep his edge and drive and where ever he finds that edge, even if it comes from some of our fans it is all good.

Go Big Blue

And I don't think there should be any expectation on Kentucky kids. If there is one or two, or 10 for that matter, that are Kentucky caliber players, let's get them. If not, we don't take one just to have one.
Cal could probably take a decent kentucky born player, who probably has no hope of ever playing professionally and mold him to a player who could make a living in pro ball, in some form, for a few years.
Kentucky BB players have Dreams , too.

That is a bit of exaggeration on how many kentucky kids most fans want on the team. (How about ONE)
How about there will be a kid if they are good enough to play. He's had KY kids when they merit an offer...yet some ppl are convinced bc they saw some kid hit 5 3's at red bird high school over a bunch of 5'6 kids that he should be suited up on the sideline playing high level division one basketball. I want players not mascots on the roster.

“There’s a group of people that think I should have eight Kentucky players, and they will never change. It doesn’t matter what we do. We could win nine national championships in a row, and they’re going to say, ‘Where’s Richie?!’ They’re going to be that, and the minute there’s a raindrop, you know they’re going to come out. But the rest of you — and that’s like 98.8 percent — the rest of you were with these guys, and if anybody tried to go after them, you said something… and I want to thank you.”

tenor.gif

How about there will be a kid if they are good enough to play. He's had KY kids when they merit an offer...yet some ppl are convinced bc they saw some kid hit 5 3's at red bird high school over a bunch of 5'6 kids that he should be suited up on the sideline playing high level division one basketball. I want players not mascots on the roster.

I have not mentioned in particular kid. Other D-1 schools outside the state, take these kids and over time they become a name in college BB.
If you believe, you can develop high school players, why is it necessary that you only develop those that are already the best?

No, not talking specifically the "8 Kentucky Kids" piece. I'm saying that what he is talking about is spot on. I think it's understood that the "8" part was just an embellishment to drive home his point.
Embellished as an oblique way of saying something that is true, which is that a lot of those people are obsessed with any Kentucky kid on the roster to the point of absolute insanity. There were people on here whining about how Jon Hood never got a fair chance (I repeat, Jon Hood), and plenty of people more than willing to put Cal on full blast any time someone playing in front of Derek Willis (and even Dom Hawkins, but to a lesser extent) had a bad game.

I wonder if those people realize it actually makes it harder for Cal to recruit in-state kids? He has to consider the potential distractions in a way he doesn't with everyone else he recruits.

He's right.

NEED MOAR MOUNTAIN BOYS!! has been the rallying cry around here for years. We even had one poster suggest each year's Mr. Basketball have an automatic scholarship to UK. Just no.

If we get one on the roster, half the fanbase wants that player to play over better players. It happened with Carrier, Tackett, Hood and Willis to name a few. Only one of those guys - Willis - ever proved to be truly UK worthy. Darius Miller and to a lesser extent Dom Hawkins were capable D1 talents worthy of a UK offer, but they had offers from other P5 schools. But, some fans want us to recruit kids on the radar of MAC schools.

I've never understood the fascination with WHERE a player is from. I'm fine with Kentucky kids. But, they need to be good Kentucky kids, not OVC-level Kentucky kids. Some fans see some kid light up crappy Kentucky high school competition and believe it will translate to the SEC or a Kentucky-born player somehow possesses magic winning powers.

Just a deflection from Calipari going into a big game on Thursday. Typical “coach speak” to get some of the pressure off of his young team.

Last edited:
I'm just saying one thing about this quote from Cal: the University of Kentucky has never, and I hope this changes in a couple of weeks, but to this point in time UK has never won a title w/out a Kentucky kid playing a role. Never...
That’s true and luckily this team has a Kentucky-born player, PJ Washington.

It’s called making a point.

Never have understood the fascination with having players from Kentucky on the team. You get the best players you can to fit your needs. If some happen to be from Kentucky, great. If not, so what.

We are discussing the University of Kentucky. Without kentucky born players, the UKBB team name is a lie and should be renamed.

Cal could probably take a decent kentucky born player, who probably has no hope of ever playing professionally and mold him to a player who could make a living in pro ball, in some form, for a few years.
Kentucky BB players have Dreams , too.

I agree with you that Cal is hyperbolic in his analysis of the critics of his style and program, but he does it for effect, just like everything else he does.

However, one of his favorite quotes definitely applies here, "this isn't Communism!!!" If a kid is worthy of a spot on Cal's UK team, they EARN it.

Reactions: UKvisitor
We are discussing the University of Kentucky. Without kentucky born players, the UKBB team name is a lie and should be renamed.

So you think the university is for Kentucky kids only...lol? If you're serious then please make sure you get your "stupid" sign & wear it.

But I'm sure you're sarcastically joking :)

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT