ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Makes U19 Team Cuts. 18 Remain for 12-Man Roster

Would have liked to seen a quick glimpse at who DIDN'T make the cut.. but it seems like this is the best possible scenario: All our guys made the 1st cut, and all our targeted recruits made it.. including Quickly, who some thought might not last.

Also, anyone else kind of hoping Cal purposely kept his guys/recruits around? I really want to see him go above and beyond to use this to his advantage, just like coaches before him did.

Reactions: BurpinTurpin
Would have liked to seen a quick glimpse at who DIDN'T make the cut.. but it seems like this is the best possible scenario: All our guys made the 1st cut, and all our targeted recruits made it.. including Quickly, who some thought might not last.

Also, anyone else kind of hoping Cal purposely kept his guys/recruits around? I really want to see him go above and beyond to use this to his advantage, just like coaches before him did.

You trying to say Plumlee didn't deserve to be on the Olympic team?

Marques Bolden cut. Cal makes sure his guys get to eat.

giphy.gif

Marques Bolden cut. Cal makes sure his guys get to eat.

giphy.gif

Charlie Moore?

Makes me wonder if Cal invited the last few fringe guys from places like Duke and KU just so he could send a message and cut them.

God, this makes my day. So glad he's taking full advantage of this.. not that Bolden or some lowly KU recruit deserved to be anywhere near this thing..

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Charlie Moore?

Makes me wonder if Cal invited the last few fringe guys from places like Duke and KU just so he could send a message and cut them.
I don't see Cal using a kid to make that kind of point. Seems to be genuinely interested in bettering these kids lives that I can't see him inviting a kid with the intention of cutting him immediately.

I doubt he cuts someone out of spite.. That type of mentality is better reserved for the negative recruiting coaches.. like Self and K..

But I do believe he's making sure his guys get the most exposure they can. Tie goes to the runner, and the runner is UK. And this is all good for Cal's brand. I believe he cares about these kids, but he also knows that getting them to their dreams helps him, his pockets and his own dreams.

It's a win/win in his eyes.

Below looks like the ten players that were cut today from the 2017 USA U-19:
Bane-TCU
Bolden-Duke
C.Brown-HS
Daniels-N.C.St.
Flynn-Wash.St.
Melton-So.Cal.
Moore-Kan
Ponds-St.Johns
Tilmon-HS
Trae Young-Okla.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I don't see Cal using a kid to make that kind of point. Seems to be genuinely interested in bettering these kids lives that I can't see him inviting a kid with the intention of cutting him immediately.

Not with the sole intention of cutting them, but if you don't think Cal knew certain guys were going to make the cut and that only 12 guys can be on the roster when he sent out invites, and that Cal had a pretty good idea who those being cut might be, then we just disagree on how petty and vengeful John Calipari is.

He didn't just coach the DR National Team to help mold Francisco Garcia or Eloy Vargas. It's no accident that so many UK recruits and players were selected.

Besides, making it and being cut is still him "bettering these kids lives." He didn't injure or ruin anyone. But if you have to invite so many guys, and you know who you want on your final roster, it's better to cut a kid who dragged you along and spurned you to go be a disappointment at Duke than it is to cut a kid who's a junior at Cal State Fullerton.

The man uploaded a picture of himself eating at a restaurant with a sign that said something like "best wings in the nation" the day after Knox chose Kentucky over Duke. He knows, and he thrives on that kind of thing.

Trae Young CUT, lmao.

Said when the invite list went out that I can't believe he would agree to stay that far from home in lodging unapproved by he and his mom.

I mean, of all the PG's Cal could have invited, he chose kids we're recruiting and Trae Young and sends Young home? Picks Bolden and a couple of UK targets and sends Bolden home?

Not that Cal isn't picking the best roster. I don't think any guy who was cut is better than the guys who stayed. But it's a major coincidence that guys who went elsewhere were invited and then sent packing.

Reactions: BurpinTurpin

He did. All uk players and potential recruits were after made the cut

And boldon got cut - which is LOL :)

He's the headcoach.. who else is making the cuts.. Bill from the stands?

Aside from some Assistant Coach input, not sure who else is deciding this.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Bolden had some injury issues from what I read. But, I am somewhat vindictive and glad Young got cut. He was a priority, had multiple meetings with the coaching staff, procrastinated and got scared off by Green. So, adios. The other cuts were players I am not sure how or why they were invited. What will be the challenge is the next round of cuts. Unlike most posts before, the one Kentucky guy that might not make it is Washington. Listening to the interviews with Cal, there were some comments about Washington having some ups and downs. I hope that doesn't happen of course.

Bolden had some injury issues from what I read. But, I am somewhat vindictive and glad Young got cut. He was a priority, had multiple meetings with the coaching staff, procrastinated and got scared off by Green. So, adios. The other cuts were players I am not sure how or why they were invited. What will be the challenge is the next round of cuts. Unlike most posts before, the one Kentucky guy that might not make it is Washington. Listening to the interviews with Cal, there were some comments about Washington having some ups and downs. I hope that doesn't happen of course.

trae young didnt participate in the u19 tryouts. so your joy for him being cut is unfounded. hope that doesnt hurt too much.

Boston two posts suggested otherwise. So, he never even made it? In any event; F' him. He had his chance.

Who were the players that were cut?
This is a list who made the cut:

The list includes center Bol Bol (Mater Dei H.S./Santa Ana, Calif.); center Jordan Brown (Woodcreek H.S./Roseville, Calif.); Kentucky freshman guard Hamidou Diallo; Purdue sophomore guard Carsen Edwards; Maryland sophomore guard Kevin Huerter; forward Louis King (Hudson Catholic H.S./Columbus, N.J.); Kevin Knox II (Tampa Catholic H.S./Tampa, Fla.); guard Romeo Langford (New Albany; H.S./New Albany, Ind.); UNLV freshman center Brandon McCoy; Auburn freshman forward Chuma Okeke; Georgia Tech sophomore guard Josh Okogie; Oregon sophomore guard Payton Pritchard; guard Immanuel Quickly (John Carroll School/Bel Air, Md.); forward Cameron Reddish (Westtown School/Norristown, Pa.); Western Kentucky freshman center Mitchell Robinson; Temple sophomore guard Quinton
Rose
; Kentucky freshman forward PJ Washington; and Auburn sophomore center Austin Wiley.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT