ADVERTISEMENT

Cal: I think I need to play Livingston at the 4

I think it’s been him AND Livingston BOTH. CL thinking he is a 2/3 instead of a 3/4 and not wanting to play the 4 also.
But good news was I think last night was the first time all season CL played the 4 for a bit.
Yeah, but it should not take as long as it has for Cal to realize what his best lineups are, when people that don't know coaching half as well as he does, recognized this stuff 5 months ago.

I give Cal credit though, he now has this team surging and I think putting Livingston at the 4 with Oscar, Wallace, CJ and Reeves filling it out, will take this team up another notch. That's a potent lineup

Reeves is becoming unstoppable right now, that will help Chris at the 4.

I thought the version was that Cal has promised Livingston, and his "camp", that he would play Livingston at the 4?

I mean they had a meeting and everything. It was all decided. Livingston told Cal he wouldn't play the 4 and Cal said okeydokey?

Was that all a made up story? Did it come from the hallowed grounds of KSR?

I like CL...I think he can be really good next yr (if he sticks around and doesn't transfer).

As for this year, I don't think it really matters if you play him at the 3 or 4, he just isn't super productive. Outside of spotting up for an open 3, he really doesn't bring much to the table in my mind. Maybe he has a breakthrough in one of these games coming up...he definitely has the talent.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I thought the version was that Cal has promised Livingston, and his "camp", that he would play Livingston at the 4?

I mean they had a meeting and everything. It was all decided. Livingston told Cal he wouldn't play the 4 and Cal said okeydokey?

Oh goodie, we have a smart ass that refuses to believe anything that isn't praising Cal.

This guy is messing with us. Has to be.

If he FINALLY puts Chris at the 4, the August version of the Benny lineup, will be complete.

I hope he’s messing with us, because it should not take 21 games for any coach to figure this out.

He’s gotta be F@cking with us man. I’ve even tweeted this to whoever runs his Twitter account before. Like hello, please use Livingston at the 4, his handle isn’t a 3 but he’s a mismatch at the 4!! It allows two other shooters to be on the floor with him, and 3 if Cason is the PG. DuHhhhhh.

If he FINALLY puts Chris at the 4, the August version of the Benny lineup, will be complete.

I hope he’s messing with us, because it should not take 21 games for any coach to figure this out.

Apart from the mind games, playing CL at the 4 makes sense when Toppin needs a rest. Toppin’s is starting to play really well and over the last 4 games he is averaging 11.25 pts/game and 7.25 rebounds/game. CL playing 8 minutes at the 4 makes sense to keep Toppin a little fresher.

More like the hollow grounds of your own skull...I've seen speculation on here of that, but nothing approaching reporting it as fact

Reactions: entropy13
I like CL...I think he can be really good next yr (if he sticks around and doesn't transfer).

As for this year, I don't think it really matters if you play him at the 3 or 4, he just isn't super productive. Outside of spotting up for an open 3, he really doesn't bring much to the table in my mind. Maybe he has a breakthrough in one of these games coming up...he definitely has the talent.
I think CL at the 4 is a big deal and not just because Chris fits better there. The biggest reason is it puts 4 shooters out there with Oscar. CL is a much better shooter than Toppin.
Putting CL out there with Oscar,Reeves, CJ and Wallace, is a big notch better than putting CL out there with Toppin, Oscar, CJ and Wallace.

Last edited:
I think CL at the 4 is a big deal and nit just because Chris fits better there. The biggest reason is it puts 4 shooters out there with Oscar. CL is a much better shooter than Toppin.
Putting CL out there with Oscar,Reeves, CJ and Wallace, is a big notch better than putting CL out there with Toppin, Oscar, CJ and Wallace.
I agree and would absolutely love to see it. He's probably not going to get a ton of minutes at the 4 though with how well Toppin has been playing. But, it would be awesome to have that legit option of CL at the 4 when Toppin is either struggling or out and when he just needs a breather for a few minutes.

Reactions: bevcat
Oh goodie, personal attacks!! I love it. Means you got nothing else.

Must be a bummer when real life smacks your conspiracies upside your head?
Personal attacks? Where? You're bothered by me saying you're being a smartass? Toughen up Nancy.

If you're just going to troll, you can make like a baby and head out.

Now, if the Livingston family told Cal they didn't want Chris playing the 4 (I'm not sure why this is so hard for you to believe), it wouldn't take anything more than a simple phone call to explain why Chris is much more suited for the 4 in college.

It’s either that, or it took Cal 21 games to realize Chris is a 4. How would you rather view it? Keep in mind, option B doesn’t make your hero look very good.

Last edited:
I agree and would absolutely love to see it. He's probably not going to get a ton of minutes at the 4 though with how well Toppin has been playing. But, it would be awesome to have that legit option of CL at the 4 when Toppin is either struggling or out and when he just needs a breather for a few minutes.
It is so obvious. You cant take Reeves, CJ, Wallace and Oscar off the floor, no way. So the best place for Chris to get minutes is at the 4.

Apart from the mind games, playing CL at the 4 makes sense when Toppin needs a rest. Toppin’s is starting to play really well and over the last 4 games he is averaging 11.25 pts/game and 7.25 rebounds/game. CL playing 8 minutes at the 4 makes sense to keep Toppin a little fresher.
Yup, Toppin has been legit these last few games, but Chris gives us another 3 point shooter and that's a big problem for opposing defenses.

It is so obvious. You cant take Reeves, CJ, Wallace and Oscar off the floor, no way. So the best place for Chris to get minutes is at the 4.
Yep the rotation should be

Wallace
Reeves
Fredrick
Toppin
Oscar

Livingston
Thiero
Wheeler

Ware/Onyenso for Oscar foul trouble, Move Toppin to the 5 for Oscar's break and sub Livingston and keep Ware off the floor

Yeah, but it should not take as long as it has for Cal to realize what his best lineups are, when people that don't know coaching half as well as he does, recognized this stuff 5 months ago.

I give Cal credit though, he now has this team surging and I think putting Livingston at the 4 with Oscar, Wallace, CJ and Reeves filling it out, will take this team up another notch. That's a potent lineup

I would just like to see Onyenso and Theiro in there for 5mpg, just to stay engaged, and ready if we need them. I would say Collins too, but he's just not shown anything in 139 minutes.
Theiro could be a plug-n-play for foul trouble or injury with almost anyone except Oscar.
And Onyenso can do what this team is missing, a rim protector! The past 2 years are the worst BLK shot years since 2006.

Just read an article on SB Nation that said they did not understand why Reeves is not starting over Livingston. They said when Reeves came in against Vandy he scored seven points and that got us jump started after a slow start. They said that Livingston is not fluid enough for a three and does not really give you a ton of rebounds or scoring. Said he should be at the four with his skill set. How can fans and writers see this but Cal doesn't? Why does he have to be so difficult with this? One of these bad starts is going to bite us.

Hey buddy, just a small update here for your sensitive ears.

Jack Givens said it last night after the game, the Livingston camp does not want Chris playing the 4.

So, now what? Who am I to believe, Jack Givens, or UKBB4Ever that has a Cal love agenda?

Take it up with Jack if you don't believe it.

Hey buddy, just a small update here for your sensitive ears.

Jack Givens said it last night after the game, the Livingston camp does not want Chris playing the 4.

So, now what? Who am I to believe, Jack Givens, or UKBB4Ever that has a Cal love agenda?

Take it up with Jack if you don't believe it.
This is the same guy who demanded proof in the Tweak thread that Cal actually said "basketball bennies." He's barely smarter than bassfan.

I would just like to see Onyenso and Theiro in there for 5mpg, just to stay engaged, and ready if we need them. I would say Collins too, but he's just not shown anything in 139 minutes.
Theiro could be a plug-n-play for foul trouble or injury with almost anyone except Oscar.
And Onyenso can do what this team is missing, a rim protector! The past 2 years are the worst BLK shot years since 2006.
I agree with putting Onyenso and especially Adou on the floor here and there, but Collins, no way, not until he decides he wants to play hard. Cal gave him a fair chance to do something and Collins just doesn't have it. He has no fire.

Onyenso and Thiero are dripping with potential. Although, someone needs to get Ugo up to par. Coach him on how to play at this level, they're going to need him next year?

How could you sit Toppin after getting 2 straight double/doubles? Play where needed not to a-pease a player or his "handlers"

Movie Reaction GIF

Just playing devil's advocate here but I think there was much more to this than just playing the right lineups. JMHO.

Now the whole Ware and Oscar thing was a debacle but some of these guys are playing WAY better than they were a month ago.

Toppin picked it up for a couple games (Louisville, ex.) but he wasn't the same guy prior to or even after that until after SC. I think Cal played Ware out of desperation- he was getting nothing out of Collins and Toppin for a while.

Reeves (insert CL) was killing us defensively and so was Oscar. Had CJ missing time, etc.

My whole point is I'm not so sure the right lineups would have mattered. Something wasn't right with this team beyond lineups and we will probably not know what it was until after the season ends..

Cal does have some head scratchers though....that is for sure.

Every player has a camp telling Cal how they want to be handled and treated.

Every coach is dealing with the same thing if they have high level recruits.

The job of a coach is to win despite what the handlers want and put the player and team in the best scenario to do so. This is where Cal has been failing. The Shapre fiasco and the disaster to start this season shows that.

We were too concerned with getting Oscar and Toppin in the NBA and Wheeler to whatever foreign league he goes to. Plus Livingston wanting to be what he's not.

It seems Cal is getting them all on the same page now and we look like the team we all imagined preseason

Better yet, we have a lottery, and 5 fans from rafters takes Cals bench job for a game. Give the money to charity. Keep Cal on strictly for recruiting. I see a win win here. Gets even better when the lifetime finally expires.. half of Cals pay can go to charity also. Brothers keeper and all that.

• Haha
Reactions: kywildcat41086
Reeves carrying our scoring and has been a difference maker in our recent success but does not deserve to start over someone that does not give us much on scoring, rebounding or effort compared to Reeves? Is that fair to Reeves camp? Livingston needs to at least play hard like JT then yack about starting.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I think CL at the 4 is a big deal and not just because Chris fits better there. The biggest reason is it puts 4 shooters out there with Oscar. CL is a much better shooter than Toppin.
I get the thinking...but Toppin, at this point, brings more to the table than CL. All CL can do is literally shoot open threes. What else does he bring when out on the court? I prefer Toppin on the court over CL.

I would prefer if Reeves started in place of CL at the 3, and then bring in CL off the bench to spell Toppin at the 4. But Cal seems to love having Reeves come off the bench, which maybe Reeves likes as well.

Reactions: federalcat

Toppin at the 4. Livingston at the 3/4. I like the way those 6 are playing. Wheeler seems to be accepting less minutes. Ware is bringing physicality. Not to jinx anything...but this team is playing much better. Reeves is becoming a monster.

If there is one concern ATM...it is minutes for Wallace and CJ.

ADVERTISEMENT