ADVERTISEMENT

Cal has a roster full of......

C*A*T*S

Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2009
5*'s and our best player was a 4*. We are considered loaded with talent. Were in the middle of February. The excuse "we are young" doesn't apply now. So if Cal doesn't get multiple sure fire lottery picks each year this is what we get?

Are these players any better now than when they came here? I don't think Gabriel and Jones are.

Reactions: - Keyser Soze -
5*'s and our best player was a 4*. We are considered loaded with talent. Were in the middle of February. The excuse "we are young" doesn't apply now. So if Cal doesn't get multiple sure fire lottery picks each year this is what we get?

Are these players any better now than when they came here? I don't think Gabriel and Jones are.

Far more people have gotten better under Cal than not. Your argument/hissy-fit holds no water.

Not all 5* and 4* players are the same. Not all classes are the same.

The talent that we supposedly had was over blown.

Lots of these guys can't shoot. Most of them have major turnover issues as well.

I don't blame Cal for this because it's not like other schools weren't going after these same people.

But either this class was just bad or they overrated these guys big time.

Far more people have gotten better under Cal than not. Your argument/hissy-fit holds no water.

Have they really gotten better? Or were they already that good? I think Willie did improve considerably. But everybody else was already considered first rounders.

Reactions: jwphelps
The overall talent in last year's class was down IMO.

The best player in the whole damned class was a reclassify from the 2019 class who shouldn't even be eligible.

After the top 5, last years class was the weakest since Noel's class.

Reactions: brianpoe
Not all 5* and 4* players are the same. Not all classes are the same.

The talent that we supposedly had was over blown.

Lots of these guys can't shoot. Most of them have major turnover issues as well.

I don't blame Cal for this because it's not like other schools weren't going after these same people.

But either this class was just bad or they overrated these guys big time.

Is that on Cal or assistants? Or when you realize they aren't what you thought, when does coaching them up come in to play?

Is that on Cal or assistants? Or when you realize they aren't what you thought, when does coaching them up come in to play?

Despite what most think, Cal has been here long enough to realize for me at least that he wants to win.

Who's to say the coaching them up isn't occurring right now?

The problem is we want to see results right now.......and they aren't getting them.

This might be a group that just improves over time........it just might not be like Cal's other teams where that time was just a season but rather several years.

Also I mean there to be some limit right on talent. If your coaching Delaware St there is no amount of coaching that's going to help the situation.

I'm not sure we are at that point. But I am beginning to realize that this time it might take multiple years.

I think Josh Harrelson improved

was it because he had better players he went up against in practice? or just the amount of time he had here to improve? This class has no one better to go up against so do they really learn anything in practice?

Reactions: C*A*T*S
Bash away, but Cal needs superior talent because his in game coaching (X and O's) are not great. Usually, his superior basketball talent covers up his inefficient in game coaching, but even then, sometimes it's not enough.

LOL Alex and Lamb didn't get drafted. And I think Jones could have been drafted first round if he wanted to come out his freshman year. Now he's out of the league.

You asked who improved........not who got drafted.

Both of their numbers increased in year 2.

was it because he had better players he went up against in practice? or just the amount of time he had here to improve? This class has no one better to go up against so do they really learn anything in practice?

It's possible.

I mean Enes practiced with the team that year right.............so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Cal was always a big believer in that as well.........he always used to say that our practices were harder than most games on our schedule.

That's definitely not the case anymore

We are loaded with athletes , not necessarily good bball players.

Very few of our players can score fluently or with ease. This is the biggest reason why we are struggling.

I wish Cal would recruit players more than athletes. Guys who have a knack for scoring and shooting .

Bash away, but Cal needs superior talent because his in game coaching (X and O's) are not great. Usually, his superior basketball talent covers up his inefficient in game coaching, but even then, sometimes it's not enough.

The other side of that coin is what coach is great with so much inexperience? It is what it is...we need a sprinkling of talented upperclassmen
to lead on the floor.

We are loaded with athletes , not necessarily good bball players.

Very few of our players can score fluently or with ease. This is the biggest reason why we are struggling.

I wish Cal would recruit players more than athletes. Guys who have a knack for scoring and shooting .

I don't know how many mins he would have gotten but I think he tried to do that bringing in Baker. And I think he's definitely done that with Herro.

It's not like he hasn't in the past......I mean we did have Lamb and Booker.

Reactions: MWes11
The other side of that coin is what coach is great with so much inexperience? It is what it is...we need a sprinkling of talented upperclassmen
to lead on the floor.
Hey, I'm with you. I wish like hell we could sprinkle in some 4*/low 5* who would stick around and be major contributors their Junior/Senior year. But until Cal changes, I don't think we can expect to see that.

Reactions: CatPhight
The major problem is that he just recruits the highest guys on the board instead of building a college basketball team. His goal is to put as many people in the NBA with his name attached to them as possible. It is what it is.

His goal is to win us titles in the end.
I would say his highest "priority" is to get guys in the NBA with his name on it.
He is a half assed narcissistic coach out there on the floor, can't seem to motivate them as normal so this is what is left.
If he fails to push these guys out the door ,he is in trouble on the recruiting trail for the future.
He already can't get top 5 talent now, can you imagine how bad we would be with a roster of 75-100ish recruits??

Hey, I'm with you. I wish like hell we could sprinkle in some 4*/low 5* who would stick around and be major contributors their Junior/Senior year. But until Cal changes, I don't think we can expect to see that.

We might have done that this year.

Thing is if that's what we want then we have to be patient in years 1 and 2 lol.

Hopefully this season serves as the sacrificial lamb to stock the cupboard...I know we've seen kids leave who clearly weren't ready
but now with the ability to declare, get evaluated and have a chance to come back, we see a shift in philosophy.

Reactions: MWes11
You asked who improved........not who got drafted.

Both of their numbers increased in year 2.

Improvement is ultimately going to be judged by draft position. All those examples you mentioned that improved were already 5* kids. Projected first round picks coming into college. They weren't so that's why I question there improvement. Plain and simple.

Hopefully this season serves as the sacrificial lamb to stock the cupboard...I know we've seen kids leave who clearly weren't ready
but now with the ability to declare, get evaluated and have a chance to come back, we see a shift in philosophy.
Agree, although I wouldn't mind seeing 1 or 2 on this team that clearly aren't ready, make the jump to the league after this year. Addition by subtraction. Unless said players want to be lockdown defenders and only take shots 5 feet and in, they are currently bringing nothing to the team. I hate to say that because I hate when players in the past have left when they weren't ready, but in this case, I hope they do go for the betterment of the University of Kentucky Basketball program moving forward.

Drafting is subjective and sometimes based on an NBA teams needs. It's also based on the other players in the draft class. Most of the time they draft on potential. I mean Orton averaged what 3 points a game and got drafted in the first round.

I'd rather just focus on the individual's numbers......if they went up........they improved.

The major problem is that he just recruits the highest guys on the board instead of building a college basketball team. His goal is to put as many people in the NBA with his name attached to them as possible. It is what it is.

Except that's not at all true because he passes on kids every year and chooses kids who fit better together. If you're a Kentucky fan, you know that.

Reactions: blubo
In high school these hot shot recruits can dominate because they're just physically more gifted than everyone else. Most of time they can get by on that alone in high school. In college, it's a whole different game. You're playing against guys that are physically as good or maybe even better/bigger than they are. So now they can't just get by on that alone, they actually have to be able to play the game and understand the game.

Except that's not at all true because he passes on kids every year and chooses kids who fit better together. If you're a Kentucky fan, you know that.
He passed on players, or the players decided to go elsewhere? If he passed on Ayton/Bagley, curious as to why. How does Richards fit better than Ayton? I know we always say the only place Bagley would be eligible would be Dook or UNC, but at this rate, he and Ayton would've been worth the risk considering what bigs we are putting on the floor this year.

I hope you're right. But I see Knox and Alexander gone. Hopefully Diallo to (sorry just don't like his game nothing personal). So with what we have returning and whats coming in, I don't see a lot of improvement.

Reactions: CatPhight
I hope you're right. But I see Knox and Alexander gone. Hopefully Diallo to (sorry just don't like his game nothing personal). So with what we have returning and whats coming in, I don't see a lot of improvement.

My guess is this but getting Knox back could tip the scales for next year if Cal finds an answer down low.

Knox - drafted
Diallo - overseas
Wynard - transfers

Reactions: C*A*T*S

He has a roster of freshmen who are playing like typical freshmen. Can you wrap your mind around that?

He has a roster of freshmen who are playing like typical freshmen. Can you wrap your mind around that?

That's great if they aren't leaving after this year. We just suck it up for future rewards.
History shows they leave for the draft, ready or not, or they will transfer.
Since we have no Davis, Wall, Cousins, or Harrisons walking through that door, the future is sketchy.
Can you wrap your mind around that?

ADVERTISEMENT