ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Did A Hellava Job Tonight

First UCLA game Cal let them play the way they wanted . He was smiling and thanking Alford post game for helping the team see the right way to play . Now this game was played the way coach wanted .

One of the best coaching jobs he has done at UK. And the team executed it so well.

Agreed. First time in a long time that I can remember thinking, "Wow, Cal is coaching a superb game". He never let his guys get in foul trouble. Ran great sets spreading the floor and sending Briscoe off of curls around Bam. Let Fox operate in pick n roll. Screened the zone to Fox's strong hang with Monk ready for the kick. Brilliant by Cal.

I have in the past said on this board that Calipari is a weak bench coach. I did watch the entire game. I want to go on record to say that I agree with the OP that Calipari coached very effectively during this UCLA game. He was "proactive and not reactive" during the game. But by far more important (IMHO) was, simply, that "he allowed his team to play ! " He did not over-coach.

I also agree with the OP that the coaching staff developed a great game plan -- and I assume we should primarily credit Coach Calipari for that. However, of course -- that doesn't have anything to do with bench coaching.

Congratulations, Coach Cal, on a great win.

Alford was a deer in headlights tonight. Completely lost. Cal just abused him.

Come to Think of it, prolly good practice for when Alford takes the IU job. Never too early to start practicing those KY losses.

Reactions: TnRustyCAT
This game is why Cal is a much better COACH than some people want to give him credit for. Cal is a BIG GAME coach. Give him the players and he will win!!

I LOVE CAL!!

I said some comments after the UT loss that I seriously regret right now.
Cal is doing this with freshmen. That's just not supposed to be possible.
Can you imagine if he had a roster full of talented juniors and seniors? He'd never lose.
Just an incredible coaching job by Cal.

Yes he did. The pick and roll at the top of the UCLA zone was a killer. Kept the ball mainly in the hands of Fox. Defense was light years better. Great job by Cal.

I thought the same about Cal! In the first 10 minutes I told a friend he's coaching his ass off and was coaching loose and his team played loose. They were aggressive and absolutely played great! He wasn't afraid to play mulder humphries and wenyen early in the game and that ended up being huge because Hawkins is a guy that's not going to get a ton of attention defensively and hit some huge shots. Great game and great coached game.

Reactions: AllBlueEverything
I would like to get a like from @GOING FOR #9 god that OP. I know he agrees tonight. Come on buddy!!

It was a great job by cal no doubt. He had a game plan that kept UCLA on their heels all night and when the curveball came with Willis early fouls cal was able to adjust. Not only that but he kept moving guys in and out and it doesn't get much better than the job he did!

Cal deserves a ton more bench coaching credit than he gets. Just because he recruits so well...he get no credit when he does well.

- UCLA game was a superb game with attacking Lonzo Ball on defense so much.
- UNC and Ohio St games were superb bench coaching during the Brandon Knight team.
- Beating UL in sweet 16 game with Randle team
- Circling the wagons when WCS goes down to drive that team to final game on the Randle team.

Some people want to simply beat the "why do we only have 1 title drum".

If Willis can bump up his 3 % by a make or two more a game say 3 or 4 for 7 instead of 2 for 7 or 3 of 6 instead of 2 for 6, I think we become almost unbeatable.

Heck if he goes 5 of 7 or 4 of 6 it's going to get out of hand.

Quick.

ADVERTISEMENT