ADVERTISEMENT

Cal comment on Diallo?

3 fan

All-American
May 31, 2003
“If there was somebody who would’ve committed to us earlier, he would’ve gone.” Cal told Hami: “I’m with you, whatever you want to do, but the later you are in that first round or second round, you take all the risk and they take none.

Who was Cal talking about?

It's a general statement about players who are drafted later. He's saying the team didn't invest as much into you financially or pick-value wise, so you're the one who has to go out and prove you can play.

He's saying if someone had told Hami he was a lottery pick, he'd have been gone, but that without that guarantee, he decided to come back.

Ah, I see. I was looking at it from a college standpoint, not the nba standpoint. Cool.

Cal, especially when you're reading a transcript or quote and not seeing and hearing him, is nearly impossible to understand. He's all over the place with asides and interjections.

Yeah, I agree.

I really think what he was trying to say in this instance is that if you think you're going to get knocked out in the first round then you should postpone the fight. But if you think you can make it to the middle of the 2nd round then you should place a bet on who the Lakers take with their 1st round pick. AND, Cal pulled his Hami so fighting for him was just out of the question.

I'm just paraphrasing here....

Reactions: DerekMcPwn
Oh, I see it now. The part about "if someone had committed to us earlier." Still referring to teams/franchises committing (promising to draft) to "us" (the people involved in the process with Hami) he would have gone pro.

He doesn't mean it like "if Cam Johnson had committed to UK in April, he'd have stayed in the draft."

Reactions: Blueaz
I said this at the time.... he (and a couple family members) REALLY wanted to go, but he just wasn't getting a solid enough commitment. He got some strong interest and near promises, but not enough to make the move.
This is why the fellow-fan bashing is so funny. Those who questioned Diallo motives and now get bashed.... were essentially right. The kid did want to go and looked up until the very last moment to find opportunity to do so.
At the same time, some Diallo bashers are wrong---those insisting that leaving/using UK was his plan all along. It wasn't. He didn't anticipate interest, and when it arrived- it accelerated his timeline. In the end, these kids have to make the right decision for themselves. Diallo tried to do that- for which I pass no judgment.
But let's be clear--- he did NOT return to uk out of some sort of loyalty. NOR would he have been leaving out of some sort of slight.
So all y'all are wrong! (And right) :)

Gonzo is right. Cal is saying that if a team told Diallo you are our pick and that pick was a lottery pick he would have stayed in the draft, but if not, then if he stayed in he was the one who was taking all the risk and not the team.

What's funny is that many thought he would go because Brooklyn had 2 late first round picks which most believed they would have used one of them on Diallo. And let's say Diallo decided late first round was good enough. Now Brooklyn has traded one of those picks. Means it would now be much more likely that Diallo would have fell to the second round. This is the prime example of why promises toward the end of the first round are dangerous. Most people look at players falling and thus better players available, but there isn't even a guarantee that the team has that pick come draft time. How much has trading picks affected Fox and Monk? Likely at least a little bit.

The other side is this, just because Diallo was projected as a late first round, early second round pick, doesn't mean that his talent dictates that. I personally think that he is a lottery type talent, and once he gets used to actual game action, he will explode. This may be the best wing combination Cal has ever had.

I said this at the time.... he (and a couple family members) REALLY wanted to go, but he just wasn't getting a solid enough commitment. He got some strong interest and near promises, but not enough to make the move.
This is why the fellow-fan bashing is so funny. Those who questioned Diallo motives and now get bashed.... were essentially right. The kid did want to go and looked up until the very last moment to find opportunity to do so.
At the same time, some Diallo bashers are wrong---those insisting that leaving/using UK was his plan all along. It wasn't. He didn't anticipate interest, and when it arrived- it accelerated his timeline. In the end, these kids have to make the right decision for themselves. Diallo tried to do that- for which I pass no judgment.
But let's be clear--- he did NOT return to uk out of some sort of loyalty. NOR would he have been leaving out of some sort of slight.
So all y'all are wrong! (And right) :)

The ones questioning Diallo's motives were never right. He was always trying to get to the NBA as quickly as feasible, and he was transparent about that.

People who paid attention to everything Diallo said knew that. No reason to provide cover for those who bashed endlessly because they didn't understand (or were hateful trolls).

If Richie Farmer had been a lottery pick out of high school, he'd have never worn a UK jersey. Just so we're all clear.

The ones questioning Diallo's motives were never right. He was always trying to get to the NBA as quickly as feasible, and he was transparent about that.

People who paid attention to everything Diallo said knew that. No reason to provide cover for those who bashed endlessly because they didn't understand (or were hateful trolls).

They were not right in suggesting he planned to "use kentucky". It is also not right to impose one's hopes and rooting interests on a kid making a life decision, and then berate him when he seems to being going off your course.
But Diallo was not "transparent" in his very strong desire to be in the nba draft this year. But that is not his fault. He wasn't aware of the possibilities at the time.
In the end, the Diallo-bashers are just as right (or wrong) as those who imply he returned as planned after simply exploring the process. The truth is, he did everything he could to NOT return. And that is not meant to be a slight. These kids should do what is best for them and their families.

They were not right in suggesting he planned to "use kentucky". It is also not right to impose one's hopes and rooting interests on a kid making a life decision, and then berate him when he seems to being going off your course.
But Diallo was not "transparent" in his very strong desire to be in the nba draft this year. But that is not his fault. He wasn't aware of the possibilities at the time.
In the end, the Diallo-bashers are just as right (or wrong) as those who imply he returned as planned after simply exploring the process. The truth is, he did everything he could to NOT return. And that is not meant to be a slight. These kids should do what is best for them and their families.

We will just have to disagree on how transparent he was. He said months ago that he and Cal would talk about the NBA when the season was over.

Seemed obvious enough that he would go pro if the opportunity was great enough. I don't find any of his statements at all incongruous with your statement that he did everything he could to not return.

You mean he jumped through every hoop possible to try to make millions of dollars next year? For shame.

A good lais·sez-faire statement...

You mean he jumped through every hoop possible to try to make millions of dollars next year? For shame.

Yeah.... you seemingly missed the part in which I said he SHOULD do exactly as you described above.

That said, planning on talking with Cal about NBA options has a different connotation than very strongly and actively pitching yourself to potential suitors up until the final seconds.

I can tell you this, Diallo's pursuit of the NBA was much different and more aggressive than either Cal, or even Diallo himself anticipated. Things changed... so I guess in that sense, you are right. He was as transparent as he could have been at the time.

Yeah.... you seemingly missed the part in which I said he SHOULD do exactly as you described above.

That said, planning on talking with Cal about NBA options has a different connotation than very strongly and actively pitching yourself to potential suitors up until the final seconds.

I can tell you this, Diallo's pursuit of the NBA was much different and more aggressive than either Cal, or even Diallo himself anticipated. Things changed... so I guess in that sense, you are right. He was as transparent as he could have been at the time.

I'm not right "in a sense." He was transparent about pursuing NBA options. He ended up with more options than expected and he pursued them. It is what it is.

I know you always have some inside scoop that you're dying to spill, but this one wasn't that complicated.

He always planned to pursue the NBA. He ended up in a better position than anticipated. He ultimately returned. Go back and read through hundreds (thousands) of posts, and you will see that even some of us non-insiders had this one pegged for what it was the whole way.

I'm not right "in a sense." He was transparent about pursuing NBA options. He ended up with more options than expected and he pursued them. It is what it is.

I know you always have some inside scoop that you're dying to spill, but this one wasn't that complicated.

He always planned to pursue the NBA. He ended up in a better position than anticipated. He ultimately returned. Go back and read through hundreds (thousands) of posts, and you will see that even some of us non-insiders had this one pegged for what it was the whole way.

No inside scoop I'm dying to spill.
I guess I see a difference between pursuing an opportunity if it arises, and very actively selling yourself as a candidate for such opportunity. To me, the most telling "change" in his approach was the decision not to scrimmage. Then it was obvious this was less about a learning/discovery process than a sales one. And that's ok.
But it wasn't always that way... and again, no fault or slight intended.
But honestly... I was not meaning to make this topic more of a debate than its been. I was actually attempting to say both sides were "right" (or wrong).
So I will bow out.
I think we agree more than this conversation suggests.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aike

Agree. Playing next year at UK was Diallo's last resort. It's the last thing he wanted to do. Anybody could see that, but some are so hell bent on being a "better fan" than others that they won't admit it.

Agree. Playing next year at UK was Diallo's last resort. It's the last thing he wanted to do. Anybody could see that, but some are so hell bent on being a "better fan" than others that they won't admit it.

"Last resort" is strong wording, though I guess technically true. He was either staying in the draft or returning to Kentucky. He hoped for the former but isn't upset with the latter.

Reactions: KyFaninNC

And this is where I disagree. It isn't the last thing he wanted to do. But playing at UK was second only to being a guaranteed first round draft pick. You know, the same as every other one and done player. People should come to terms that Diallo could have stayed in the draft, likely gotten somewhere near 1M/yr in a contract even as a second round pick, and there was almost nobody projecting him past the 35th pick. It is not like the kid chose playing at UK over being in prison. First, he chose UK over all the other schools, over playing overseas, over going straight to the D-League, and over likely becoming a millionaire. In reality, UK fans should be praising this kid for gathering all the information possible and making an educated and likely best choice. After seeing a lot of players over the years leave for second round selections or even going undrafted, the fact that this kid was obviously requiring a first round (at worst, reports were he wanted at least top 20-25) guarantee is much higher standards than many former players have had.

And this is where I disagree. It isn't the last thing he wanted to do. But playing at UK was second only to being a guaranteed first round draft pick. You know, the same as every other one and done player. People should come to terms that Diallo could have stayed in the draft, likely gotten somewhere near 1M/yr in a contract even as a second round pick, and there was almost nobody projecting him past the 35th pick. It is not like the kid chose playing at UK over being in prison. First, he chose UK over all the other schools, over playing overseas, over going straight to the D-League, and over likely becoming a millionaire. In reality, UK fans should be praising this kid for gathering all the information possible and making an educated and likely best choice. After seeing a lot of players over the years leave for second round selections or even going undrafted, the fact that this kid was obviously requiring a first round (at worst, reports were he wanted at least top 20-25) guarantee is much higher standards than many former players have had.

I'm not in the camp that thinks he dreaded playing at UK. People around here are WAY to senstive to anything said that's not a slobberfest of the players, team or coaches. Good grief. He didn't want to go to college. Period.

He had teams at the end of the first round telling him they'd likely take him. He came back. That's far from "last resort." Did he do everything he could to get as early an assurance as he could? Yes. But that isn't anyone's last resort. He made a business decision.

He had teams at the end of the first round telling him they'd likely take him. He came back. That's far from "last resort." Did he do everything he could to get as early an assurance as he could? Yes. But that isn't anyone's last resort. He made a business decision.

His last resort if he couldn't get drafted where he wanted to was to play for 1 season at UK. I don't expect you to undertand that as all you ever do is try to convince this board that you know everything about everything when you really don't know squat.

His last resort if he couldn't get drafted where he wanted to was to play for 1 season at UK. I don't expect you to undertand that as all you ever do is try to convince this board that you know everything about everything when you really don't know squat.

Hey great discussion.

What was your last username?

I'm not in the camp that thinks he dreaded playing at UK. People around here are WAY to senstive to anything said that's not a slobberfest of the players, team or coaches. Good grief. He didn't want to go to college. Period.

And yet here he is in college.

ADVERTISEMENT