ADVERTISEMENT

cal chewing on hawkins

Why are some players on Cal's teams allowed to make multiple mistakes with no repercussions while others are allowed one, get yanked and their ass chewed out?
Well, to be fair, Murray got benched for the same exact thing.

Not to mention, I'm sure Cal made it very clear to Hawkins about going under screens before he went into the game. You could read Cal's lips saying to Hawkins "You had one job".

I'm assuming that one job was to not go under any screen and give up a three point shot.

As i;ve been saying all year, Hawkins should not sniff the court for a second.

Defense is his niche and he hasn't been good in that area in his short stints.

As i;ve been saying all year, Hawkins should not sniff the court for a second.

Defense is his niche and he hasn't been good in that area in his short stints.

So far you are right. I just hate playing guys who cannot score at all. Now some of them like Lee have found ways to improve over time and give us some points.

Briscoe and Matthews can give Cal what Hawkins gives defensively, only they're multi-talented in so many other ways.

I love Dom, but he's not going to play much this year.

Last edited:
Terrible defense...let a guy get a wide open 3. If you are one dimensional as a player, you better do well on that end of the floor.

Yup. Playing defense is supposed to be the one thing Hawkins can give us. If he screws up on D then there's really no reason to ever play him.

Reactions: Maubris
Pelphrey said on air that UK had worked hard on that in practices. The point was driven home earlier when he took Murray out for going under a screen, and I'm sure they rehashed it at the halftime break. Hawkins goes in for less than a minute and what does he do???

He deserved that ass chewing.

I was listening to Matt Jones Toyata dealers post game show and he said Cal was laying into because his one job is defense. He blew it immediately and was hooked.

Cal yanks anybody that gives up wide open 3's because of screen defense. Nothing pisses him off more.
Future UK players best work hard on defense if they wanna play. Mulder's defense must be horrible. I feel bad for him though. Nobody can shoot 3's right now and we got a 43% proven college 3 point shooter sitting on the bench. Its bullshit if ya ask me. Mulder is looking like he made a mistake coming to UK. He aint getting a shot here I guess because his defense is piss poor?

Cal yanks anybody that gives up wide open 3's because of screen defense. Nothing pisses him off more.
Future UK players best work hard on defense if they wanna play. Mulder's defense must be horrible. I feel bad for him though. Nobody can shoot 3's right now and we got a 43% proven college 3 point shooter sitting on the bench. Its bullshit if ya ask me. Mulder is looking like he made a mistake coming to UK. He aint getting a shot here I guess because his defense is piss poor?

If you will state; He "ain't" getting a shot here.....YET.....I will agree. It takes time for Cal to get them ingrained AND engaged...I am confident he will if Mulder gives the effort. It's a two way street. Mulder knew what he was getting into. If he is going pro, Cal is the guy to "help" him do it.

Cal has his best players for one year and he needs every minute to develop them so we can have a chance in March . Why do some posters think Cal should bench our best players for a mistake ? You can't afford to park them on the bench and waste valuable playing time to beat the learning curve .

Reactions: hoodro
Cal has his best players for one year and he needs every minute to develop them so we can have a chance in March . Why do some posters think Cal should bench our best players for a mistake ? You can't afford to park them on the bench and waste valuable playing time to beat the learning curve .

I'd hardly call Mulder a mistake or Willis a mistake. other than that, I agree. (Cal has time for all his players but I dare say all his plays do not have the same drive and determination. Liggins and Jorts come to mind.)

Hawkins is still trying to catch up from missing about a month after an injury.

But I think Cal spent probably nearly the entire halftime speech telling everyone to go over the screens. He puts Hawkins in, and he went under the screen and they buried the three.

If Matthews keeps playing the way he is, he will eat up all of Hawkins' minutes.

Reactions: BBUK
Why are some players on Cal's teams allowed to make multiple mistakes with no repercussions while others are allowed one, get yanked and their ass chewed out?

Because you aren't winning games with Murray, Skal, Briscoe, Ullis on the bench...you can live without Hawkins and Wills.

Odd, if this was a certain other player the reaction would be different and how he doesn't get enough time

Odd, if this was a certain other player the reaction would be different and how he doesn't get enough time

I doubt that. That other player got time last night and didn't do much on his end of the floor and didn't play any in the 2nd half until garbage time at the end...no one complained. That other player is also a lot better than Hawkins.

As already stated multiple times, he was parked because he went under a screen. He pulled Murray earlier in the game for the same thing, and he gave him an earful too. Cal is not a respector of persons. If you can fill a position on the floor better than anyone else, it's your's. If not, improve and wait for an opportunity.

If Matthews keeps playing the way he is, he will eat up all of Hawkins' minutes.

This. The handwriting is on the wall with the way Matthews continues to develop and get more time. He'll soon be taking those few extra bench minutes that might've been there for Willis and Hawkins. It's nice that Wilis got a little early run this year, but don't expect it to last much longer as guys like Matthews and Humphries (if healthy) continue to improve and find their way.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoodro
Because Hawkins is upper class and he let the guy shoot a wide open 3, if he had been a freshman Cal may have gave him some slack.

ADVERTISEMENT