ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Calls Out Officials

BigBlueCatNation

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2006
Saying, 'You know, it’s amazing that we were in that game where they practically fouled out my team. Amazing that we had a chance. So proud of how these guys fought.”

Good for him. We need more coaches holding officials accountable for their actions until they are forced to face the coaches and media for their actions.

Saw this on KSR

That is not calling out officials. Calling out officials would be if Calipari pulled out his checkbook, and say I don't care what it costs, but I am going to set the record straight about the inept, and borderline criminal officiating.

Last edited:
That is not calling out officials. Calling out officials would be to first pull out my checkbook, and say I don't care what it costs, but I am going to set the record straight about the inept, and borderline criminal officiating.

Yes that would be a better way to call out officials.

Honestly, I cannot wait for the day that coaches and schools rise up and demand that officials meet with them and the media. They also need to be accountable for their calls.

That is not calling out officials. Calling out officials would be to first pull out my checkbook, and say I don't care what it costs, but I am going to set the record straight about the inept, and borderline criminal officiating.

Totally agree

Probably a dumb question but is there any type of system that shows which official called which fouls? Like say a chart that shows when Higgins calls a U.K. Game 73% all the fouls he whistles are on Kentucky players?

I totally disagree. OK, not totally but somewhat.

Everyone makes mistakes in a basketball game. Refs, coaches, players. When a player makes a mistake it's no big deal. When a coach makes a mistake it's treated like a misdemeanor, and when a ref makes a mistake it's treated like a capital offense.

If there were post-game interviews with the refs it would get very boring very fast. Watch replay. Ref says, "Yeah, I sure missed it on that one didn't I?"

About Cal calling out the refs, it's not just about his bank account. If he does that we'll be lucky to make the NIT next year. Google Cam Newton and Refs and you'll see what I mean.

This isn't college basketball from the 90's and back. There is too much at stake in today's game. These refs need to be accountable to the media and coaches to answer for their actions. I can guarantee you that the game would DRAMATICALLY improve.

If there were post-game interviews with the refs it would get very boring very fast. Watch replay. Ref says, "Yeah, I sure missed it on that one didn't I?"

That answer wouldn't be good enough. If they missed it on that one, they would more than likely feel pressured to get it the next time, especially if that error was constantly made by the same official.

I think you would be surprised at how much better officiated games would be if they were forced to speak publicly.

Probably a dumb question but is there any type of system that shows which official called which fouls? Like say a chart that shows when Higgins calls a U.K. Game 73% all the fouls he whistles are on Kentucky players?
Not dumb to me. I was wondering the exact same thing.

If Kentucky had won it would have been two SEC teams and two West coast teams in the final four. That would not have been good for ratings. You have to wonder if the officials could have been influenced by that.

It's clear that Higgins has a problem with Cal.

But Cal going after him isn't going to make that relationship any better.

I disagree, callIng out the officials and specifically Higgins will get the desired effect next year...many eyes will be on Higgins next year when he calls a U.K. Game...eyes watching the impartiality and evenness of calls by Higgins...

Higgins will realize then that everyone is watching and might call it fairly!!! It may cost Coach Cal some $$$ but he can afford it and it just might give him peace of mind to do so!

AlohaCat

I totally disagree. OK, not totally but somewhat.

Everyone makes mistakes in a basketball game. Refs, coaches, players. When a player makes a mistake it's no big deal. When a coach makes a mistake it's treated like a misdemeanor, and when a ref makes a mistake it's treated like a capital offense.

About Cal calling out the refs, it's not just about his bank account. If he does that we'll be lucky to make the NIT next year. Google Cam Newton and Refs and you'll see what I mean.

Look at baseball... close plays happen all the time. Despite that, the umpires at high levels get it right about 80 or 90 percent of the time. In the NBA the officiating is at least pretty consistent. Not in the ncaa. Tons of missed calls and no game would be called even similarly to another. It's a hard job, but I can't really say that they do the job well as a whole.

Reactions: BigBlueCatNation
That is not calling out officials. Calling out officials would be if Calipari pulled out his checkbook, and say I don't care what it costs, but I am going to set the record straight about the inept, and borderline criminal officiating.
Well, that would make you and me feel better. And Cal. And I'm sure he'd gladly pay the fine. There's a problem. That would be - by near consensus - viewed as making an excuse or in some way not giving Carolina credit. And he likes Roy too much for that. Even if it's true, people wouldn't care. He'd get trashed in the media, and even people who thought we got hosed by the officials would forget about the officials and agree Cal is whining and why can't he just give Carolina credit for winning and boy it's terrible the way he's whining. In the end you wouldn't have achieved anything, you'd just make Carolina sympathetic and would have given the refs cover for a lousy performance.

I disagree, callIng out the officials and specifically Higgins will get the desired effect next year...many eyes will be on Higgins next year when he calls a U.K. Game...eyes watching the impartiality and evenness of calls by Higgins...

Higgins will realize then that everyone is watching and might call it fairly!!! It may cost Coach Cal some $$$ but he can afford it and it just might give him peace of mind to do so!

AlohaCat

He thinks he is totally fair. That's the problem. He's a terrible ref and honestly he should have been dropped from the tournament roster after missing the shot clock violation in the UK-Wisconsin game.

After watching Kansas gag after Josh Jackson picked up two quick fouls, I had a bad feeling Higgins was gonna get Fox out of the game early. Easiest way to throw a game is get the best team's best player out early with fouls.

We all thought going in that this tournament was set up for Duke. We had the wrong team.

I just got home from Memphis and usually I don't lose it, but I did tonite our group let them have for all we worth I have lost my voice and we hollered for all we worth. I hope you could hear the boos as the referees walked off at halftime. The above poster is right I told my wife on the way home there is just too much at stake for someone with a agenda to alter the course of the game, the only thing I can think of is as I have mentioned before give each coach two challenges like college football with the rewards and punishments that go with it and to take it a step further dismiss any official he makes too many wrong calls. Something needs to be done.

If I ever Thelma and Louise into the Grand Canyon, I hope these two are riding in the back seat:

343186.jpg

my dad said it best: "are we back to the mafia days, where unc is threatening the refs's families?"

ADVERTISEMENT