ADVERTISEMENT

Cal and Stoops should have never opened their mouths

We are crapping the bed against Iowa but:

1. We’re getting Coen back.
  2. We’re getting Leary at QB
  3. Big blue Wall gets better
Looks better IMO for football.

Are we going to win the SEC or at least the east next season? Are we going to go 10 and 2 and make the news year 6 next season?

In reality, most likely we pump our fists after another 7 and 5 type season with the difficult schedule in 2023.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Class response Pat. Can you elaborate or is that all you got bud?
Yes, we had a oline coach who died of cancer and his replacement wasn't great, and we had a high caliber OC who went to the NFL and his replacement didn't work out. Oh and our star QB was injured the majority of the year from.a foot injury which took his legs off out of plays and also affected how he was throwing the ball. Defense was still top notch tho for the most part.

Stoops is attempting to evolve with the game and making efforts to do so.

Not tjat you paid attention bc I'm sure you jist watch the ball in both sports.

What else can I assist you witn?

Are we going to win the SEC or at least the east next season? Are we going to go 10 and 2 and make the news year 6 next season?

In reality, most likely we pump our fists after another 7 and 5 type season with the difficult schedule in 2023.
I don’t know, but I’ll be watching and cheering them on.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Yes, we had a oline coach who died of cancer and his replacement wasn't great, and we had a high caliber OC who went to the NFL and his replacement didn't work out. Oh and our star QB was injured the majority of the year from.a foot injury which took his legs off out of plays and also affected how he was throwing the ball. Defense was still top notch tho for the most part.

Stoops is attempting to evolve with the game and making efforts to do so.

Not tjat you paid attention bc I'm sure you jist watch the ball in both sports.

What else can I assist you witn?
Making a lot of assumption there aren't you bud. What I see is a lot of excuses. At some point just because UK football was so bad doesn't give Stoops a pass to not take it to the next level.

Are you confident that Stoops will compete for the SEC East (if the format doesn't change) or for a SEC title? What is your expectation for him? Not to be as bad as the last guy?

The salary is what the industry pays . He has become the all time winning football coach in the schools history. If you don’t want to be called an idiot, don’t say idiotic things .
The question you have to ask is would anyone else have paid him nearly $9 million a year to hire him? I just don't see that. So it isn't about what the industry pays and more about Barnhart being lazy and not wanting to go through another coaching search and just overpaying. He let's these agents scare him into paying ridiculous amounts that are pretty much all one sided.

I'd be fine with both Cal and Stoops getting $9 million if it's performance based. You win 7 and finish the year poorly you get less. If you win 10 games and you contend for the playoffs you get more. The AD's gave the coaches to much power by getting ridiculous contracts with huge buyouts. How many other jobs can you perform poorly at your job and get paid money for years to not do your job?

Reactions: bigbluedon
Two coaches making a boatload of $$$ and right now neither deserve it. Basketball sucks. Football sucks. Right now we are not a basketball or football school. Last championship....volleyball.

The guy who hired both of these guys and throw in the women's bb coach should be on the chopping block.

Calipari was a great hire in 2009.

Stoops has a great hire in 2012, to me. Defensive coordinator coming off a natty. 6 straight bowl games, 2 - 10 win seasons. But yes, this year was a total failure. We had a 1st round QB, good receivers, and the best running back we've ever had. And we went 7-5, because our offense was awful. I'm not mad that Stoops got bumped to 8.6 million a year, but it just goes to show that Mitch Barnhart has no earthly idea how to read the room. Nobody should be getting a contract re-up in a year where they have the worst offense in the power-5.

Go back to John Calipari getting the stupid lifetime contract. Supposedly, he was in talks with UCLA to become their head coach, so Mitch had to counter. Again, read the room. Nobody cares about UCLA. There are tons of teams in California. Do you think Cal is gonna leave UK to go somewhere with his inflated ego, and be 5th tier?

Mitch can't read the room. He wants no part of NIL. It's time to retire.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Get Mitch out now!!
Cal and Stoops need fired but this scumbag offers em contracts. So we need to go after Barney.

It's called an analogy. I mean of we can compare Trump to Jesus, we can compare Saban and Stoops 😆
But what are you saying with your analogy? I know what an analogy is.

Analogy - a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification

What is the purpose of your analogy?

The question you have to ask is would anyone else have paid him nearly $9 million a year to hire him? I just don't see that. So it isn't about what the industry pays and more about Barnhart being lazy and not wanting to go through another coaching search and just overpaying. He let's these agents scare him into paying ridiculous amounts that are pretty much all one sided.

I'd be fine with both Cal and Stoops getting $9 million if it's performance based. You win 7 and finish the year poorly you get less. If you win 10 games and you contend for the playoffs you get more. The AD's gave the coaches to much power by getting ridiculous contracts with huge buyouts. How many other jobs can you perform poorly at your job and get paid money for years to not do your job?
I am fundamentally against lifetime contracts.No matter who it is or how successful they’ve been. I have no idea what Stoops buyout is . People throughout the entire football world would laugh their asses of at the thought that Stoops was preforming poorly at his job . I’m pretty sure every school in the sec pays their football coach more than their basketball coach.

But what are you saying with your analogy? I know what an analogy is.

Analogy - a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification

What is the purpose of your analogy?
Stoops had a disappointing year for Ky after several good seasons
Saban had a disappointing year for Ala after several good seasons
Does this make either a bad coach?

Stoops had a disappointing year for Ky after several good seasons
Saban had a disappointing year for Ala after several good seasons
Does this make either a bad coach?
Where did I ever say it was over ONE season?

Come on man, Saban and Stoops. There is NO analogy to be made.

Where did I ever say it was over ONE season?

Come on man, Saban and Stoops. There is NO analogy to be made.
My guy, this analogy thing is over your head! 2 things don't have to be the same to make an analogy, that would defeat the purpose. I can lead you to water, but I can't make you think

Don’t lump stoops into Cals slide into mediocrity the last 5 years.

Stoops took over a 2 win team with EKU level talent and a program where 2-6 wins was the expected norm.

Cal took over the winningest program of all time with 7 national titles and endless resources that happened to be asleep at the wheel. He woke us up to his credit like a shot of adrenaline but the last 5 years he’s been the one sleep walking and making questionable decisions at every turn while producing bubble team results.

Our basketball team needs to get back to top 5 all year seasons and E8s and beyond.

Our football team needs to maintain 7-10 wins over a decade or more to change perception. Stoops is doing that currently. Stoops is our equivalent to Virginia Techs Beamer ball that made them a relevant name in CFB to where now the national media expects them to be good. A bowl game without our 2 best offense players and best CB doesn't change that.

This is the problem. Most of you are ok with football team going 7-6. Mediocre expectations get you mediocre results 10-10 times. Stoops has been here a long time, not 2-3 years. He should have fielded better teams by now IF he’s capable. I’m a doubter, he doesn’t have it in him. He’s a good coach for teams like ours with fan’s expectations. Win 6 games and you all are happy about it. Stoops will never field a team that finishes the year top 10-15.

Reactions: bigbluedon
My guy, this analogy thing is over your head! 2 things don't have to be the same to make an analogy, that would defeat the purpose. I can lead you to water, but I can't make you think
Where did I ever say it was over ONE season? Answer the question.

I am fundamentally against lifetime contracts.No matter who it is or how successful they’ve been. I have no idea what Stoops buyout is . People throughout the entire football world would laugh their asses of at the thought that Stoops was preforming poorly at his job . I’m pretty sure every school in the sec pays their football coach more than their basketball coach.
Wasn't saying he is a poor coach. Just that he can be one and not suffer the consequences of it. You do poorly and get fired they give you millions of dollars for being bad. That's just asinine that an employer gets put in that position and out of fear of losing their coach they have to give them these ridiculous buyouts.

Stoops definitely doesn't deserve that big of a raise after this season. You just cant pay a guy top 10 money and get top 40 results. Barnhart should have waited to see how the season played out before thinking about that. What happens if we have another 7 win or maybe even 6 win season next year? Thats definitely not $9 million worthy. Let's hope Stoops has a better year next year. We definitely can't afford to make changes in 2 sports at $18 million a year if both keep declining.

Reactions: yoshukai
Don’t lump stoops into Cals slide into mediocrity the last 5 years.

Stoops took over a 2 win team with EKU level talent and a program where 2-6 wins was the expected norm.

Cal took over the winningest program of all time with 7 national titles and endless resources that happened to be asleep at the wheel. He woke us up to his credit like a shot of adrenaline but the last 5 years he’s been the one sleep walking and making questionable decisions at every turn while producing bubble team results.

Our basketball team needs to get back to top 5 all year seasons and E8s and beyond.

Our football team needs to maintain 7-10 wins over a decade or more to change perception. Stoops is doing that currently. Stoops is our equivalent to Virginia Techs Beamer ball that made them a relevant name in CFB to where now the national media expects them to be good. A bowl game without our 2 best offense players and best CB doesn't change that.
Last 5 years? '17 Uk entered the tourney as the best team in the country. Got cheated in the E8 game. '18 we missed free throws from the FF. With injuries to JV all year. '19 was an E8 team that lost the E8 game in overtime.
'20 was a great defensive team rounding into form and the tourney was cancelled. '21 was just awful. '22 was a 2 seed.

You're right. Never compare Stoops that's never had the football team in contention for anything to Cal.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
This is the problem. Most of you are ok with football team going 7-6. Mediocre expectations get you mediocre results 10-10 times. Stoops has been here a long time, not 2-3 years. He should have fielded better teams by now IF he’s capable. I’m a doubter, he doesn’t have it in him. He’s a good coach for teams like ours with fan’s expectations. Win 6 games and you all are happy about it. Stoops will never field a team that finishes the year top 10-15.
His 2018 team finished 12...

THIS! We had really good playmakers at WR this year and refused to take the top off the defense.
Hard to take the top off when you have less than 2 secs to throw the ball. Poor Oline play gives an offense no chance. Plus Scangs was a miss. At least Stoops sees it and corrected it. He went and got Coen to come back. Will be completely different next year

I like to root for both but admittedly care much more about basketball. Honestly I think it’s very interesting how the changing landscape has impacted each oppositely.

SEC football outside of Bama/UGA is much worse than it was years ago. Our competitors (UT, USC, Mizzou, middle/bottom of west) have been very meh for the most part for a while now. While the SEC in basketball which has historically been trash has had significant improvement, especially at the top with our main competitors. Also the transfer portal shrinks the gap in sports between the top teams and the average teams, which is a big positive for our current football program and not so for the basketball.

Both are committing way too much financial resources for their results and future outlook imo but that’s become the Mitch way with contracts!

ADVERTISEMENT