ADVERTISEMENT

Cal and Stoops should have never opened their mouths

wccat2969

Junior
Apr 8, 2009
Two coaches making a boatload of $$$ and right now neither deserve it. Basketball sucks. Football sucks. Right now we are not a basketball or football school. Last championship....volleyball.

The guy who hired both of these guys and throw in the women's bb coach should be on the chopping block.

Don’t lump stoops into Cals slide into mediocrity the last 5 years.

Stoops took over a 2 win team with EKU level talent and a program where 2-6 wins was the expected norm.

Cal took over the winningest program of all time with 7 national titles and endless resources that happened to be asleep at the wheel. He woke us up to his credit like a shot of adrenaline but the last 5 years he’s been the one sleep walking and making questionable decisions at every turn while producing bubble team results.

Our basketball team needs to get back to top 5 all year seasons and E8s and beyond.

Our football team needs to maintain 7-10 wins over a decade or more to change perception. Stoops is doing that currently. Stoops is our equivalent to Virginia Techs Beamer ball that made them a relevant name in CFB to where now the national media expects them to be good. A bowl game without our 2 best offense players and best CB doesn't change that.

This football season was disappointing because we had 9+ wins there for the taking, but this the strongest our football program has been overall in its history.

To act like it isn't, is to deny reality.
Good enough to merit a salary at this level? We already have another coach making that crazy amount of money.

Reactions: Blouman
Two coaches making a boatload of $$$ and right now neither deserve it. Basketball sucks. Football sucks. Right now we are not a basketball or football school. Last championship....volleyball.

The guy who hired both of these guys and throw in the women's bb coach should be on the chopping block.
Cal opened his pie hole mouth . Stoops just responded. Only an idiot would think Stoops was a bad hire . Are you an idiot?

Good enough to merit a salary at this level? We already have another coach making that crazy amount of money.
Salary levels are always debatable, and no one can know the future, but based on his performance to date, Stoops seems to me to be earning his money.

Salary levels are always debatable, and no one can know the future, but based on his performance to date, Stoops seems to me to be earning his money.

Problem with the football team this year was an awful OC and a terrible OL. Those two areas killed us.
Thank you for responding with what you believe as opposed to name calling.

Both are overpaid...Cal unfortunately has fallen off a cliff, and UK will never come remotely close to challenging for an SEC title in football, let alone an appearance in CFP. Essentially Stoops is being paid a ridiculous salary to maybe make a Citrus Bowl appearance every once in a while.

Must definitely a joke as far as both coaches are concerned, but it ain't my money...

This football season was disappointing because we had 9+ wins there for the taking, but this the strongest our football program has been overall in its history.

To act like it isn't, is to deny reality.
My only real gripe with Stoops is his refusal to go all in with a great offense. A better offense and fewer injuries and this could have been a 10-2 season. Coen will help but Stoops is still going to be a conservative defensive minded coach.

Stoops took over a 2 win team with EKU level talent and a program where 2-6 wins was the expected norm.

Cal took over the winningest program of all time with 7 national titles and endless resources that happened to be asleep at the wheel. He woke us up to his credit like a shot of adrenaline but the last 5 years he’s been the one sleep walking and making questionable decisions at every turn while producing bubble team results.

Our basketball team needs to get back to top 5 all year seasons and E8s and beyond.

Our football team needs to maintain 7-10 wins over a decade or more to change perception. Stoops is doing that currently. Stoops is our equivalent to Virginia Techs Beamer ball that made them a relevant name in CFB to where now the national media expects them to be good. A bowl game without our 2 best offense players and best CB doesn't change that.
2019 and 2020 was in the last 5 years

My only real gripe with Stoops is his refusal to go all in with a great offense. A better offense and fewer injuries and this could have been a 10-2 season. Coen will help but Stoops is still going to be a conservative defensive minded coach.
THIS! We had really good playmakers at WR this year and refused to take the top off the defense.

I agree with OP. They both should have shut up about it. The media kept it going and they both did their parts to fan the flames too. It was a dumb thing that got dumber as it went. Still is.

Reactions: KT34
I agree with OP. They both should have shut up about it. The media kept it going and they both did their parts to fan the flames too. It was a dumb thing that got dumber as it went. Still is.
I can agree with that part of it too.

Reactions: chroix
Better than what it was. Yes. But how many seasons has UK finished above .500 in the SEC for Stoops? 2

I will agree with better than what it was before he got here.

Guess it depends on what you define as success.

Reactions: Blouman
2019 and 2020 was in the last 5 years
Correct. 2020 loss to Evansville at home and while made a solid run, we’re having turmoil issues with their PG who was benched and suspended which led to us getting down by 20 at UF before Keion Brooks saved us. We’ve seen enough of Brooks to know he wasn’t going to do that for 4+ games in the tournament. Hagans was also flashing shoeboxes of money on social media after his Tennessee jealousy fit so it’s doubtful he ever saw the floor again that season.

2019 was a solid season and met expectations.

We’ve been to 1 E8 in 5 years. Haven’t been to a final 4 going on 9 years. Our record against Top 25 teams and rivals the last 5 years is abysmal even including the 19 and 20 season.

Cal has slid on and off the court. If you can’t see that he has work to do to mend some fences then that’s on you

Especially with Levis and Rodriguez out.

Better than what it was. Yes. But how many seasons has UK finished above .500 in the SEC for Stoops? 2

I will agree with better than what it was before he got here.

Guess it depends on what you define as success.
How many did we have in the 30 years before that?? It also took him the first 3 years to build it. So in 7ish years we’ve had 2 10 win seasons when we hadn’t had a single one since the 70s.

Kentucky football needs sustained success.

Our expectations increasing are a good thing bc it shows that the process has started. But nationally we still have work to do.

As frustrating as feeling as tho we hit a ceiling can be.::we continue to set new school records and end streaks etc…we need another decade of being respectable before any sustainability post stoops can be expected or else it’s just a coin flip hire. I’d rather us sustain 7-10 wins. If stoops slides into multiple years of 6 wins or less then absolutely make an immediate change. But as of now another 5-10 years of 7-10 wins and top 25 rankings builds us something we can roll into being a brand name on par with the top half of the SEC not named Bama/Georgia/UF as that requires a national title at some point (I know there are others w titles LSU and UT always seem on the tier down other than their flash good years…and UF is still a national brand but is in the processing of losing it…another 5 years and they are in the grouping with everyone not named UGA/Bama…basically the 5-40 range of CFB. We are slowly becoming associated as a top 40 CFB brand/team and we need to cement that the same at VA Tech did during the Beamer era.

Reactions: wccat2969
Ooooh Pat! What is the score? The winner is the one with the most points not best defense. I know you love UK football. I love UK football too but going sub .500 in your conference is not success. For the 1000th time, is UK football better than what it was but for $8 million per year.

BTW, Iowa's starting QB is out as is their backup so we can stop with the excuses.

Again, my main beef is the AD who gave both coaches these salaries.

Correct. 2020 loss to Evansville at home and while made a solid run, we’re having turmoil issues with their PG who was benched and suspended which led to us getting down by 20 at UF before Keion Brooks saved us. We’ve seen enough of Brooks to know he wasn’t going to do that for 4+ games in the tournament. Hagans was also flashing shoeboxes of money on social media after his Tennessee jealousy fit so it’s doubtful he ever saw the floor again that season.
As it is also likely we saw enough from Maxey that he wouldnt repeat his 1/11 shooting game for those 4+ tourney games as he did against UF. That was a great win, one of the best of the season all things considering.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
We are crapping the bed against Iowa but:

1. We’re getting Coen back.
  2. We’re getting Leary at QB
  3. Big blue Wall gets better
Looks better IMO for football.

Yes sir 💯 agree!

Cal took over BCG program that was in a deep deep hole, Not taking nothing from Stoops he did an amazing job but Cal built UK back up in a short amount of time also

Reactions: 1STSergeant
ADVERTISEMENT