ADVERTISEMENT

Cal and Kentucky ''evolving'' to make mental health more a priority

That's great and all.. but it's like he's trying to do anything BUT become a better coach.

Reminds me of arguments between parents and kids, where the kid will do anything else but the thing he least wants to do..

"How about you get started on your homework?"
"What if I take the dog out?"
"No.. jus.. just do the damn homework. Worry about the dog later"

The sad commentary in the article is twofold:

1. Generations of kids are becoming soft.
2. Cal is out of touch.
I think I would argue that people are just becoming aware of things we have ignored for decades. It's okay to have good mental health and to talk with someone once in a while when things get too much. That wasn't something that was encouraged when I grew up in the 80s, but it makes sense now. There is nothing soft about the process of unloading garbage you collect every day.

Your second point? Probably.

Fantastic. Sounds like we're shifting into a new era of "LOAD MANAGEMENT"

dog-nature-794.jpg

Someone has to tell a HOF coach, who has coached for 30 years that he is doing more harm than good by being too negative, This is nothing more than Cal spin, deflection
and damage control of a bad situation. Just what some have been saying on the board for about 2 years. A less smelly load of horse shit.

bloated egos don't change--they don't adapt

bloated egos blame everything around um, and keep on doing as before

bloated egos are always right--change is not in their vocabulary

No zone defense--check
no hard full court press--check
no traps and doubling star foes--check
no use of worthy players to replace favorites--check
no acceptance for blame, always others responsible for defeats-check
no change in archaic offense and no new in bounds plays--check

NO CHANGE--check

rr

I think I would argue that people are just becoming aware of things we have ignored for decades. It's okay to have good mental health and to talk with someone once in a while when things get too much. That wasn't something that was encouraged when I grew up in the 80s, but it makes sense now. There is nothing soft about the process of unloading garbage you collect every day.

Your second point? Probably.
This. It’s ok to freaking talk. Life gets hard as hell. And these kids have regular lives too. I mean Collins had to put his dad in the ground. And then had to go through the holidays without him. That’s rough stuff.

Nothing “soft” about being open about your mental health. Especially when your support structure gets thin.

Last edited:
That old man has some pretty obvious mental health issues he should get ironed out before he starts publicly talking about his players mental health.....although, I did not read and do not care to read whatever he had to say about them. I'm sort of assuming he halfway through his guys under the bus, as well as took his patented shots at our fanbase for being CRAZY.

This is all coming from the man who said things like...

"UK ain't for everybobdy"
"i cant' hide you"
"We only hang national championship banners here"

That guy who said those things has been long gone. That same guy said this after we got embarrassed in our first SEC game...

"This ain't life or death, it just feels that way because we play in this state"

UK ain't for everybody.

That old man has some pretty obvious mental health issues he should get ironed out before he starts publicly talking about his players mental health.....although, I did not read and do not care to read whatever he had to say about them. I'm sort of assuming he halfway through his guys under the bus, as well as took his patented shots at our fanbase for being CRAZY.

This is all coming from the man who said things like...

"UK ain't for everybobdy"
"i cant' hide you"
"We only hang national championship banners here"

That guy who said those things has been long gone. That same guy said this after we got embarrassed in our first SEC game...

"This ain't life or death, it just feels that way because we play in this state"

UK ain't for everybody.
And it ain't for Cal.

This generation of kids are soft..it affects my household as well, My kid has D1 upside but can’t get out of his own head to reach his potential. They simply can’t handle criticism, only want to hear how great they are. Social media specifically is an issue. No one ever sees the hours and hours of work leading up to the magnificent, only the act that’s celebrated. Kids are afraid to fail these days because of their image….they don’t understand that if they don’t fail they won’t reach their potential.

I'm going to sound a bit like the old man that I am, but if we as a society continue to try to eliminate and avoid anything that's difficult, challenging or something somebody has to "deal" with, then we're just going to continue to go downhill.

I'm all for improving stuff, but there needs to be a balance where we don't cut out, shut down, cancel, every single thing that challenges us. Nobody gets better if they don't face any challenges at all.

Disappointing but not surprising seeing some of the takes on mental health in this thread. Suicide is the third leading cause of death for Americans 15-24. Being cognizant of your mental health and caring for it isn't being soft, it's being smart. The mental health of most of the country is pretty poor because people are told to grit their teeth and bear all their problems. It's okay to ask for help. Maybe call that friend you haven't heard from in a while and make sure they're doing okay. Kudos to the basketball program for this.

And remember the new national suicide and crisis hotline is 988.

Last edited:
Someone has to tell a HOF coach, who has coached for 30 years that he is doing more harm than good by being too negative, This is nothing more than Cal spin, deflection
and damage control of a bad situation. Just what some have been saying on the board for about 2 years. A less smelly load of horse shit.

Yeah I have to go with Doc here. 1) The attention he’s getting over his coaching or lack thereof is now deflected onto the players. 2) to garner sympathy using the latest social buzzwords. 3) divide the audience against each other. Also his latest statements subtly saying it being taxing to play here I suppose, didn’t get the traction he wanted.

Timing is important to Cal. We’ve seen it when recruits announce they’ll be signing with UK. Benevolence, charitable activities for positive PR ( he excels at the marketing aspect).

We’ve loved our players here. I attended open practices when Macy and Bowie were around. The name on the front meant something. The fanbase is getting short changed now and he’s feeling the heat but he’s not going to say it. Sorry for the ramble.

Yeah I have to go with Doc here. 1) The attention he’s getting over his coaching or lack thereof is now deflected onto the players. 2) to garner sympathy using the latest social buzzwords. 3) divide the audience against each other. Also his latest statements subtly saying it being taxing to play here I suppose, didn’t get the traction he wanted.

Timing is important to Cal. We’ve seen it when recruits announce they’ll be signing with UK. Benevolence, charitable activities for positive PR ( he excels at the marketing aspect).

We’ve loved our players here. I attended open practices when Macy and Bowie were around. The name on the front meant something. The fanbase is getting short changed now and he’s feeling the heat but he’s not going to say it. Sorry for the ramble.
That’s not a ramble, far from it. It’s 100 percent truth. I’ve been around a good while. I could sense when Hall felt the heat, before internet. Then Tubby. Now Cal. He’s feeling it. This shit is going down as I type. Buyouts be damned. My guess is he will pay his own buyout before long. Kentucky can bring some heat.

they're throwing a ball through a hoop in front of people and getting paid NIL to do so.

their meals are covered. if they roll an ankle or tear an ACL they'll have the finest medical care possible. if they get the flu they'll have the finest medical care possible.

probably not going to class.

they have no bills to pay.

they don't have to worry about being laid off....for now.

when they're having to sleep in a foxhole overseas in the rain or cold and worry about will that day be their last....then that's something to worry about.

until then, they need to man up and play ball.

Mental health is a serious issue. But mental health these days is more akin to the boy who cried wolf. If Collins needs some help that’s one thing, the rest of them to buckle down, work hard, and start playing to their potential. And if they are struggling with their mental health that will probably make them feel a lot better because they’ll being playing well and winning big. Who wouldn’t want to be a Kentucky basketball player on a successful team?

Just like any other job (professional basketball included) if you perform poorly or below expectations and you will get negative reviews. If that has you running to your nearest shrink then society has failed you.

Well, I will say, some of the mental health issues in today's society are overblown and have become a bit of a crutch and an excuse for people. Having said this, there are legitimate issues for some that need sensitivity. Trying to balance that properly would be very difficult.

Regarding this particular team, there are some mental issues to be overcome from what I can see. So, maybe this will be helpful.

• Haha
Reactions: deep3 and chroix
I interact withe kids every day. I train employees anywhere from age 21 through 60 years old. If you don’t believe this generation is soft and feels entitled, you need to get out and interact with what’s going to be running your country in a few years.

Reactions: know1
I interact withe kids every day. I train employees anywhere from age 21 through 60 years old. If you don’t believe this generation is soft and feels entitled, you need to get out and interact with what’s going to be running your country in a few years.
interesting....

ADVERTISEMENT