ADVERTISEMENT

Cal’s Going to Return. Deal with it.

Nah. He’ll leave when he’s ready.
Thank god BBN can probably speed that up just a lil bit. We are a HUGE fan base and we ALL have social media....if you don't think we can't make him uncomfortable enough to wanna walk, then put me in your time warp so I can go back to them good old days.

You are counting that fluke COVID season when all of the blue bloods were garbage. Get real.

I'm counting the two years that the brackets absolutely OPENED for us and we lost to the Bruce's with multiple NBA players on our rosters too. A lot of fun being a UK basketball fan since 2015.

The only good team he's had since 2015 completely ignored him (Monk, Fox, Bam) and just balled. They were so good he just had to deal with it. He's mentally broken every other team since then (and broke 2015 too).

To legitimately answer your question though?

1.) Dangle the idea to the two "untouchables" Wright and Stevens
2.) Look at second tier options like Donovan (unlikely), Lloyd (also unlikely) and (ew) Scott Drew
3.) Hold your nose with Pearl, Musselman or Nate Oats

You are right, the landscape of coaches is awful, but Cal is part of that landscape and this feels exactly like the type of situation where both parties would be better separated.
Going to be fun watching fans call for the next coach to be fired when first weekend exits are the norm as opposed to the exception.

EXCUSE ME. It’s in the RECORD BOOKS. It COUNTS.
I suppose if UK had made the tournament and the team got eliminated because a team member contracted COVID like VCU that would be Cal’s fault too. Lol. It was a complete joke they had a season that year. Baylor is not a title winner without a once in a century freak global event.

Going to be fun watching fans call for the next coach to be fired when first weekend exits are the norm as opposed to the exception.

I guess that depends on why that is. Is it because of a talent vacuum from Cal leaving? That matters and should be taken into consideration. Is it because we ran into a burner of a team that was underseeded? That's bad luck.

However, if it's because we can't beat a 15 seed with the NPOY or because we don't run offensive sets from a modern basketball perspective or because we don't understand timeouts in late game situations or because we ran off our best players who weren't ready for the NBA 8 years in a row, then, yes, I'll be pretty pissed at that guy too.

Here's the thing, none of the coaches in modern basketball are doing that. Hell, even our goliath 2015 team lost doing the same shit we did tonight (stall ball, post pounding). Cal needs to seek greener pastures.

I'm trying to be logical here, you are being complacent with some weird statistics that mean nothing to a man who repeatedly states that nothing matters but championships. So, yeah.

I suppose if UK had made the tournament and the team got eliminated because a team member contracted COVID like VCU that would be Cal’s fault too. Lol. It was a complete joke they had a season that year. Baylor is not a title winner without a once in a century freak global event.
Lol. You’re a joke dude. . They had the season; it counts.

Btw, Baylor is going on. We aren’t. We can’t talk shit about anyone right now. ANYONE.

I guess that depends on why that is. Is it because of a talent vacuum from Cal leaving? That matters and should be taken into consideration. Is it because we ran into a burner of a team that was underseeded? That's bad luck.

However, if it's because we can't beat a 15 seed with the NPOY or because we don't run offensive sets from a modern basketball perspective or because we don't understand timeouts in late game situations or because we ran off our best players who weren't ready for the NBA 8 years in a row, then, yes, I'll be pretty pissed at that guy too.

Here's the thing, none of the coaches in modern basketball are doing that. Hell, even our goliath 2015 team lost doing the same shit we did tonight (stall ball, post pounding). Cal needs to seek greener pastures.

I'm trying to be logical here, you are being complacent with some weird statistics that mean nothing to a man who repeatedly states that nothing matters but championships. So, yeah.
2015 should have never have happened.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Just so we're clear, you're advocating for a guy who has done less with more than any coach not named K, right?
I’m advocating for a guy with a title, a runner up banner, two final fours, and the most tournament wins in March since 2010 instead of gambling on something new and unproven.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Get it out of your system and cope. Cal’s coming back and despite the loss, his resume over the last ten years is better than 99% of the D1 coaching field.

People who want to throw that away and gamble on someone who is unproven because they’re impatient are a joke. This is the nature of today’s game when the best talent in the game leaves early or bypasses it altogether. If you can’t deal with it, find another hobby to invest your time in.
You really think the UK job would go to an “unproven” replacement?

What scares the hell out of me is with the lifetime contract he has, he is an ambassador to the program once his coaching career ends. How much will he try to influence the coaching decisions of the next man in charge making him a puppet?

I don’t think anyone really thinks he’ll be fired. It’s more of dealing with the frustration of being saddled with a HOF coach that has lost his edge. Some of us have been saying this for the last 7 years, it’s just now become a consensus.
He's about reached the Bobby Knight/Denny Crum level where he has pretty much outlasted his usefulness. How long can we afford him to stay before it sets us back years to get things fixed? There's still a chance of a solid foundation being left for the next coach but if Cal stays around and more top recruits stop buying his bullsh*t, the cupboard will be extremely bare after the last of his NBA hopefuls jump ship.

2020 when the tournament was canceled is in the record books too. I guess it’s Cal fault he didn’t stop COVID. FARRR EM!!!!!
Are you high? Big difference form NO ONE goes due to global pandemic to, we had the worst season in 40 years and missed it.

My man. You’re losing this. Cal can’t be defended right now. Critics, analysts, our own sports guys…all calling him out. Gonna just die in this hill?

What other year did UK lose in the first round under Cal?

Mediocrity is what he is referring to. We've been pretty mediocre since the Wisconsin loss. 2017 should have won it all and got jobbed, but, ultimately, we had more talent and should have won that game too.

We consistently play down to our competition (K-State,Auburn, St. Peters) recently.

And, again, please stop coat-tailing the first five years of Cal's tenure like the last 6 didn't also happen. You have to acknowledge that Cal has squandered a lot of talent here.

By the way, are you denying we run various offensive sets, play modern basketball with three bigs on the floor, push out talent unlike any other program in the nation, squander timeouts, refuse to acknowledge OOB opportunities, vary our defense, etc? Can you give me specific examples of Cal developing a player (I can give you 10 examples of guys using UK as a brand to get to the NBA then becoming completely different players without Cal).

You want specifics, I want them too. What does Cal do well?

Are you high? Big difference form NO ONE goes due to global pandemic to, we had the worst season in 40 years and missed it.

My man. You’re losing this. Cal can’t be defended right now. Critics, analysts, our own sports guys…all calling him out. Gonna just die in this hill?
They’re not calling for him to be fired. Big difference

Have yet to hear a realistic name mentioned in here. Curious.

Realistic in the sense that they would come here? Maybe not for Stevens or Lloyd. But nearly every other coach would listen to an offer from UK. You're either severely diminishing what you think about UK, which appears on brand for you, or are trolling if you think otherwise.

What other year did UK lose in the first round under Cal?
Either not winning first round or not making the tourney is pathetic. I don't care if this is his first time doing it, it's literally equal to not making the tourney. What has you convinced he can turn this around? You love arguing about how we're all wrong bc there is no way in hell we'll get someone better than Cal.

Either not winning first round or not making the tourney is pathetic. I don't care if this is his first time doing it, it's literally equal to not making the tourney. What has you convinced he can turn this around? You love arguing about how we're all wrong bc there is no way in hell we'll get someone better than Cal.
I for one gave Cal a chance to turn it around, I gave him 5 years. Last year I said if Cal does not get a final four at minimum he should be fired. No more chances.

They’re not calling for him to be fired. Big difference

You don't think there's a reason for that? You mention UK, you get clicks, eyes ad revenue, the works. You want access, you gotta go through Cal right now. They may not say it publicly but I'm sure our rivals are plenty happy with our current trajectory.

I thought 2013 was the floor, turns out I was wrong.

Mediocrity is what he is referring to. We've been pretty mediocre since the Wisconsin loss. 2017 should have won it all and got jobbed, but, ultimately, we had more talent and should have won that game too.

We consistently play down to our competition (K-State,Auburn, St. Peters) recently.

And, again, please stop coat-tailing the first five years of Cal's tenure like the last 6 didn't also happen. You have to acknowledge that Cal has squandered a lot of talent here.

By the way, are you denying we run various offensive sets, play modern basketball with three bigs on the floor, push out talent unlike any other program in the nation, squander timeouts, refuse to acknowledge OOB opportunities, vary our defense, etc? Can you give me specific examples of Cal developing a player (I can give you 10 examples of guys using UK as a brand to get to the NBA then becoming completely different players without Cal).

You want specifics, I want them too. What does Cal do well?
1. Recruited multiple NBA draft picks including 3 top overalls
2. Most March wins over the past 10’years
3. Developed Josh Harrelson, DeAndre Liggins, Darius Miller, etc
4. National title
5. Runner up
6. 4 Final Fours
7. Tied for most wins in a season
8. Multiple SEC regular and conference tournament championships

How’s that for specifics?

• Haha
Reactions: STL_Cat
I for one gave Cal a chance to turn it around, I gave him 5 years. Last year I said if Cal does not get a final four at minimum he should be fired. No more chances.
Most ppl here have defended him time and time again me included, but yeah his time is up. He won't ever modernize his offense so there's no way we're ever going to make an impact in the tournament. Cal is living in the past, while the evolution of college basketball is going a different route, you can't win with a clogged interior.

4. National title
5. Runner up
6. 4 Final Fours

Sports are what have you done for me lately thing

4. National title
5. Runner up
6. 4 Final Fours

Majority of what you posted is what happened in the first half of his career here. He hasn't done shit of late, that's why the fans are riled up. If you're not passionate about winning that's the only reason you'd keep him.

ADVERTISEMENT