ADVERTISEMENT

Cal’s Going to Return. Deal with it.

Get it out of your system and cope. Cal’s coming back and despite the loss, his resume over the last ten years is better than 99% of the D1 coaching field.

People who want to throw that away and gamble on someone who is unproven because they’re impatient are a joke. This is the nature of today’s game when the best talent in the game leaves early or bypasses it altogether. If you can’t deal with it, find another hobby to invest your time in.
You need to see my thread on comparing Cal and Tubby over their last 7 years.

Before COVID hit, he had 2 elite 8’s (a final four likely if not for suspiciously awful officiating against UNC) and a sweet 16 and was positioned for a good run in 2020. Cal can be criticized for this season’s finish, but to just say it’s time for a change is ridiculous. Two more seasons of first weekend exits and not winning the conference and then you can have this conversation.
When we roll into the ‘23 postseason, it will have been 11 years since our last title, 8 years since our last Final Four, and four years since our last NCAA tourney win.

Think about that. Four years since our last NCAA tourney win lol. And you’re talking two more years of first weekend exits before we can even have this conversation? So six years without a single tourney win? That’s what it takes for you to care?

2010-15
190-38 for 83.3%
#1 seeds: 3
NCAAT: 21-4 for 84%
Elite 8: 5
Final 4: 4
Title games: 2
Titles: 1
Vs AP Top 25: 41-14 for 74.5%
vs Top Rivals: 38-11 for 77.6%

2016-21:
177-67 for 72%
#1 seeds: 0
NCAAT: 9-5 for 64%
Elite 8: 2
Final 4: 0
Vs AP top 25: 24-28 for 46%
vs Top Rivals: 25-26

72% winning to 83% before 2016
24-28 Vs AP ranked teams to 41-14 before 2016
Losing records versus top rivals, KU, Tennessee, UCLA, etc
1-4 versus Power 5 programs in the NCAAT since 2016

Resume A (5 seasons)
131-40 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles
9-5 NCAA Tournament Record
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Resume B (5 seasons)
177-67 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles (3 Overall)
9-5 NCAA Tournament Record
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Resume A: Tubby Smith’s Last 5 Years at Kentucky
Resume B: John Calipari’s Last 5 Years at Kentucky
How could there be a 70+ game discrepancy in their records?

I know one person that will not be in Rupp next year and when Barney wants extra money nope not until Cal is gone
Should be a buyer's market for all of those Cal cultists to snatch up some great seats to worship and gain priceless pearls of wisdom from their unquestioned messiah up close and personal, lol. My guess is we are going to see some early games next year at a 20-25% capacity, something unfathomable just a few years ago.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I started a Kentucky podcast last year, kinda lost focus this year, but got back into it after last night's debacle. I know the fix for Cal - even though I'm sure he can't handle it - but my episode is less than 15 mins long and I think it's a legit, needed fix for Cal and this program. Check it out!

Dude we gotta worry about making the tournament now year to year. Forget a final four
That's complete bull crap.
Why? Because of a pandemic year in which the team couldn't practice together? If you don't understand that last season wasn't a normal year, that's on you. Uk is in the talks every march for a chance at winning title.2017, 2019,2020,2022

So you can say they wont come to UK? You guys are soooo predictable.
You aren't. Not even a little
One week you were praising cal for the job he had done, talking uk to the title game . The next minute bashing. At least stay consistent. Pick what you really want and stick with it. People will take you more serious

• Haha
Reactions: Dubya C Dubya
That's complete bull crap.
Why? Because of a pandemic year in which the team couldn't practice together? If you don't understand that last season wasn't a normal year, that's on you. Uk is in the talks every march for a chance at winning title.2017, 2019,2020,2022
The dumbest take. Yes it turned out that in hindsight it was the new normal. This team proved that. What’s your excuse for that? Sorry ass

Get it out of your system and cope. Cal’s coming back and despite the loss, his resume over the last ten years is better than 99% of the D1 coaching field.

People who want to throw that away and gamble on someone who is unproven because they’re impatient are a joke. This is the nature of today’s game when the best talent in the game leaves early or bypasses it altogether. If you can’t deal with it, find another hobby to invest your time in.
Hit the nail on the head....

Cal's coming back, whatever, we'll just have to deal with his culture for a little while longer. One thing his culture lacks is investment in team depth. There's no right of passage with players in our program like other teams have and it shows in a lack of development.

Something that bothers me though is I expected more out of the assistants. I really want to know what's going on behind the scenes because I believe we have an excellent staff, maybe Cal is just handcuffing them which ain't cool. Gotta let your studs go eat and it feels like he has them instructed to sit down and shut up. Been getting control freak vibes from Cal the last few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I'll put dead fish everywhere , where cal's going to be until he gives up and leaves if he doesnt change Massively........... Deal with it..

but really though............ OP's an idiot, we pressured Tubby out, we can and will do the same with Cal if he doesnt change.. and like Tubby, I think he'll refuse to change

If Cal has a friend thats an offensive genius known for coaching up good offense, he better beg them to come on board as an OC for him........... otherwise he's not regaining much faith any other way from the fan base

You’re really going to be enjoying some mediocrity when UK has to figure out who to hire among a talent pool of coaches with no consistent track record that matches the expectations of people on here tonight.
I think it would be easy to find a coach that could beat a St.Pete ,and a better record than 9-16 the year before.

The dumbest take. Yes it turned out that in hindsight it was the new normal. This team proved that. What’s your excuse for that? Sorry ass
Sorry Ass?! Why are you calling me that? Nothing about last year was the new normal... This team came together and got close as a team. Last year they were trapped in form rooms all season.
The morning after Kansas I betcha wasn't saying this season is like last year.
Sorry Ass...

ADVERTISEMENT