ADVERTISEMENT

C.M. Newton Named to Athletic Directors Hall of Fame

Cliff Hagan and Charles w....ring a bell...? Don't bash CM...he did the best job possible after these bozo's

And in turn, Cash Money put his pal Larry Ivy in charge. This fool's name needs to come off the "grounds". We can put Bear Bryant, Jerry Claiborne, Rich Brooks, Tim Couch, Randall Cobb or even Dante Rumph's name on it for all I care. Just get Newton's name off it.

And in turn, Cash Money put his pal Larry Ivy in charge. This fool's name needs to come off the "grounds". We can put Bear Bryant, Jerry Claiborne, Rich Brooks, Tim Couch, Randall Cobb or even Dante Rumph's name on it for all I care. Just get Newton's name off it.
Just how was he a "fool"?

Kinda 50-50 on Newton....Brought in Pitino which was his best achievement by far

But also brought Bill Curry (terrible), Hal Mumme (looked like a home-run early but then crashed and burned), and of course Tubby which turned out to be fool's gold after the first year

Last edited:
very accurate post catrecruit.
In addition to his in ability to hire coaches there were some less than ethical actions by Newton
the scenes.
Far from a class act.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Every time you see newton he is in Alabama, dressed in their colors at some event for their university. And yet somehow he managed to finagle millions so that he could get a condo in the Bahamas and UK people are paying for it. He was a joke and his name needs to come off of our football field. Period. Getting Pitino here was his only claim to fame. He shat the bed bringing in Tubby instead of Donovan.

I think its good...CM, very beloved for the most part....except when he coached at Vandy. Kidding....newton was a very good AD for KY...
Not hiring Schnellenburger, hiring Bill Curry and keeping him about 5 years too long, Mumme and his debacle, making contract with otis...yeah he was an awesome AD for UK...JDHOSS is totally right! Get his name off the fb wall and put somebody up there deserving!

C.M. Newton made sure Kentucky had good brackets in the tourney years of 96,97,98. For that I like me some Newton.
Mitch Barnhart can burn in hell for that bracket he let get through this year.... unacceptable. Id fired his ass the minute that sorry bracket came out. Somebody needs to fight for Kentucky in that damn bracket making room. SOMEBODY!

C.M. Newton made sure Kentucky had good brackets in the tourney years of 96,97,98. For that I like me some Newton.
Mitch Barnhart can burn in hell for that bracket he let get through this year.... unacceptable. Id fired his ass the minute that sorry bracket came out. Somebody needs to fight for Kentucky in that damn bracket making room. SOMEBODY!
Yeah, because that is all AD's do..Good grief. Barnhart is a way better AD than Newton ever hoped of being.

And which AD before him and President brought UK too shame?!....
an ass for the way he treated people meet him three times he was an arrogant ass made made at least one good hire for basketball and set his son up to make a lot of money off the university

Reactions: JDHoss
Kinda 50-50 on Newton....Brought in Pitino which was his best achievement by far

But also brought Bill Curry (terrible), Hal Mumme (looked like a home-run early but then crashed and burned), and of course Tubby which turned out to be fool's gold after the first year
He tried to talk RP out of it. RP loved to recount how CM basically said it would be a dumb move for RP to take the job...

Just how was he a "fool"?

Well.......

* Tried to hire PJ Carlisimo for the basketball job.

* Hired Curry, but to be somewhat fair to Curry, Newton never provided the money for Curry to hire and retain competent assistants.

* Held on to Curry way too long.

* When he finally replaced Curry, he bypassed David Cutcliffe, who wanted the job. Newton instead reached down into the Division II (not FCS mind you, but Division II) ranks and brought in Hal Dumme and his band of high school assistant coaches.

* Slid his pal Larry "Poison" Ivy into the AD job when he retired, which was a disaster.

* Got the UKAA to pay for a condo in the Bahamas as a retirement parting gift.

I guess maybe I was being way to kind with calling him a fool.......

an ass for the way he treated people meet him three times he was an arrogant ass made made at least one good hire for basketball and set his son up to make a lot of money off the university
So was Pitino....we embraced him, BC he brought UK basketball back to prominence.... Guess who hired him?

Every time you see newton he is in Alabama, dressed in their colors at some event for their university. And yet somehow he managed to finagle millions so that he could get a condo in the Bahamas and UK people are paying for it. He was a joke and his name needs to come off of our football field. Period. Getting Pitino here was his only claim to fame. He shat the bed bringing in Tubby instead of Donovan.
Yeah the Bahamas house bugs me

Reactions: Bryo72
Regardless...CM had his flaws like Barn hart...joker, Gillespie....Barn hart, was reluctant to hire Calipari from the get go...

CM was a nice guy but too basketball focused. The Bahamas House and field name bug the shit out of me too.

Nobody sucked worse than Cliff Hagan. Hagan sucked balls

ADVERTISEMENT