ADVERTISEMENT

Bye week

After 6 games, we know more about opponents, and opponents know more about us.

Wilson is still learning. He hasn’t played his best game yet. Mike Elko watched the UF tape. Texas AM stacked the box, covered man to man, and forced Wilson to make quick decisions under pressure. Last week, that worked. Other opponents will try the same. At an unknown future time, a light will come on for Wilson. Then he will make quicker, better decisions. That is why this is a great time for an off week of learning and study.

To address the false statement that MS doesn’t think outside the box and make changes. The coaches have tailored the plans to fit their players.

MS changed UK’s defensive system to 3-4 and moved Bud Dupree to OLB. Dupree became 1st rounder. MS started freshman Jon Toth at C after Toth redshirted as an OT under JP. Toth became one of the best Cs in UK history. The same year, MS signed Melvin Lewis, an overweight, unrecruited junior college DT out of Fullerton. Lewis was put on a nutrition program and redshirted. MS hired Vince Marrow and began to focus recruiting in Ohio, a border state neglected by previous UK coaches.

Lewis became a star NG. MS gave the starting QB job to redshirt Patrick Towles. MS moved DE Travaughn Paschal and TE Josh Forrest to MLB. UK upset South Carolina. MS and VM signed 11 players from Ohio, also 4 star back Stanley “Boom” Williams out of Georgia.

UK upset South Carolina in Columbia, then upset #25 Missouri. MS changed his starting QB in November, leading Towles to transfer to BC. MS signed Josh Allen, a 2 star DE out of New Jersey, a state not recruited by UK in decades. MS also signed Calvin Taylor, a lightly recruited 6’9 OT out of Augusta. MS made a recruiting innovation, signing taller CBs for his combination zone coverages.

Stoops developed walkon Cole Mosier as his starting LT. The passing game was opened up. Screen passes were used to neutralize pass rushes, and swing passes were used as checkdowns. Long passes were completed over the top. More blitz packages were used with Jordan Jones and the safeties. MS signed lightly-recruited back Benny Snell out of Ohio and lightly-recruited QB Stephen Johnson out of College of the Desert. UK upset Missouri on the road. Then UK upset #11 Louisville on the road behind 338 passing yards and 83 rushing yards by Johnson. UK played in the Taxslayer Bowl.

Freshman Lynn Bowden was used in multiple offensive roles. Freshman Quinton Bohanna was developed as the starting NG. UK used a grad transfer punter. Safety Mike Edwards was moved around at 3 positions in the defensive backfield. Josh Allen was used as a blitzing LB from the boundary and field sides. UK upset South Carolina on the road, then beat Tennessee. UK played in the Music City Bowl. UK began recruiting in Michigan, never done before.
Your post seems to indicate that I was way off base saying change isn't coach Stoops strongest suit.I submit he is way more conservative than he is a risk taker,no where did I day he didn't develop players to fit his system.

I think putting Hoak in with the game on the line in front of 107,000 hostile fans would have been a risky move.My question was more what do we do in the bye week and I doubted that there would be any big changes given our current situation and overall success thus far.

I do believe we need to look at getting some snaps for the #2 guy,failure to do that put us in a box toward the end of last season. It was clear that Barker was not part of whatever the team was going to be this year.I hope we don't make that mistake again this year.

So I quoted you, and that makes me an arrogant idiot. Okay, fine.
No You came to a wrong conclusion and you are not honest enough to admit it. Cherry picking what somebody says is deceitful at worst, or it can be a innocent mistake. Trying to make somebody look wrong for your mistake is deceitful and boyish. A matured human being will own their mistakes and learn from them. There is no dishonor in making mistakes, that is human, there is dishonor in trying to hide from our mistakes, especially at other people's expense.

This has been a pretty good thread about what needs work in the bye week.I submit the coaches will change very little,we are 5-1 and change is not something Coach Stoops and this staff are very fond of doing.
Your post seems to indicate that I was way off base saying change isn't coach Stoops strongest suit.I submit he is way more conservative than he is a risk taker.
Stoops is a traditional coach who would rather kick the snot out of other team at the line of scrimmage than run up the score. He is happy to take a knee, but only after he has physically controlled the game. Fans may not see it, but the losing coach sure does. Case in point, UK-SCar. I wouldn’t say Stoops is necessarily conservative, but I agree that Stoops will not stop doing what works unless it stops working and he is forced to change. You can say the same about most winning coaches.

I don’t agree with this:

Thinking outside the box isn’t his style nor his strong suit.

That may be a fashionable opinion, but I gave you numerous examples in 2013-17 to show it hasn’t actually been true.

Last edited:
No You came to a wrong conclusion and you are not honest enough to admit it. Cherry picking what somebody says is deceitful at worst, or it can be a innocent mistake. Trying to make somebody look wrong for your mistake is deceitful and boyish. A matured human being will own their mistakes and learn from them. There is no dishonor in making mistakes, that is human, there is dishonor in trying to hide from our mistakes, especially at other people's expense.
The thread is about the bye week. Your posts speak for themselves. In your angry mind, that makes me an arrogant, deceitful, boyish, immature idiot. I am quoting you. Interesting theory.

This a sports site. You should take your own advice, shooter.

Well this thread has run its course. It’s a shame that we pick player against player on here but it’s who we are I guess.

Reactions: Levibooty
The thread is about the bye week. Your posts speak for themselves. In your angry mind, that makes me an arrogant, deceitful, boyish, immature idiot. I am quoting you. Interesting theory.

This a sports site. You should take your own advice, shooter.
Yes they do so when you ignore and cherry pick to suit your personal agenda you reveal yourself for what you are. I'm done and you're ignored.

Stoops is a traditional coach who would rather kick the snot out of other team at the line of scrimmage than run up the score. He is happy to take a knee, but only after he has physically controlled the game. Fans may not see it, but the losing coach sure does. Case in point, UK-SCar. I wouldn’t say Stoops is necessarily conservative, but I agree that Stoops will not stop doing what works unless it stops working and he is forced to change. You can say the same about most winning coaches.

I don’t agree with this:

That may be a fashionable opinion, but I gave you numerous examples in 2013-17 to show it hasn’t actually been true.
No doubt Stoops is a traditional coach,it is in his blood.He will never come up with a style or system that coaches will copy(think Cal and OAD or Pitino with the pressure d and 3 point shot) in football think the pistol or the veer

He will win the games he does because his players are better than the other team and they won't beat themselves. The old saying about Bear Bryant,he can take his and beat yours or he can take yours and beat his probably won't ever be said about Mark Stoops.He will have decent teams as long as he can recruit well enough to get good players.If he wins enough here he will go somewhere where it is easier to recruit more good players.

Stoops is growing into a solid football coach but he won't be on the cutting edge of anything because that is not who he is. He came along at a good time for UK,I wish he hadn't been required to start from scratch when he got here. I would like to see him get to a .500 record before he leaves. You can agree or disagree as you wish but that is how I see it until I see something that changes my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT