ADVERTISEMENT

Bye week

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
While the board is full of rehashes of the TX A&M game, I am ready to move on.

We are the #18 team in the country. We have beaten two other nationally ranked teams. We snapped the 31 game losing streak in the Swamp.

The timing of this bye week is good. But we will fall a little bit in the next poll because we are inactive.

Injuries and sore muscles get an additional week to heal.

Our players get time to digest what happened in College Station and place it in the context of a season of progress and success.

Benny gets to rest.

TW gets additional time to watch game film and learn.

Our defensive players get additional time to get their legs back.

With an additional week to focus on Vandy, our team won’t look past the Dores.

The biggest question of the Vandy game will be how TW bounces back from a poor performance in College Station. The second biggest question is Drake Jackson’s health. After that, it will be interesting to see if anything different is done with the placekicking responsibilities. In all three cases, the bye week came at a good time.

I think the bye week comes at a good time,we seem to be in overall good health,coming off our first loss we should be motivated to work on things that need to be "cleaned up".

As I said in another post the staff should have a good idea who retains red shirt status and who needs to play going forward.More important is a chance to really work the QB's,maybe put in a package for Hoak. There seems to be two schools of thought on Wilson 1.Limit the playbook,2.expand the play book. I am in the camp of adding a few things that require quick reads

This team is in a good place to take advantage of what they have done so far,we have leadership on defense,we have a favorable schedule and several real and attainable goals right in front of us. All that remains to be seen is how hard the team is willing to work and how focused they can be on playing one game at a time

Last edited:
Hopefully we get Watkins back in fully healthy condition and Drake Jackson has the time to fully recover from his injury. Our O-line has taken some hits in the first part of the year, this bye-week is a definite plus for their recovery. I wish Gran would take notice of how Mullen at Florida has mixed in creative play calls to win games. We have definitely become rather stale on offense and act as though one play a game is as creative as we need to get. The sledgehammer known as Snell should be a great platform from which to use trickery to our advantage. The thing about trickery is it serves two purposes. First it gives the offense a chance to surprise a defense, second it makes a defense play honest defending Snell.

Key is getting Watkins healthy. We have not been the same Oline since he went out. People don’t realize how important he was to this Oline. All you have to do is look back and once he went out we have not ran the ball nearly as effective. We’ve lost our two top Lt tackles. That’s hard to overcome. Price is good but he’s not as good as Watkins or Young.

Defensively we just need to continue to play great football. I like our chances because we have a Legit Defense. When you have that and can run the football you always have a chance.

Hopefully we get Watkins back in fully healthy condition and Drake Jackson has the time to fully recover from his injury. Our O-line has taken some hits in the first part of the year, this bye-week is a definite plus for their recovery. I wish Gran would take notice of how Mullen at Florida has mixed in creative play calls to win games. We have definitely become rather stale on offense and act as though one play a game is as creative as we need to get. The sledgehammer known as Snell should be a great platform from which to use trickery to our advantage. The thing about trickery is it serves two purposes. First it gives the offense a chance to surprise a defense, second it makes a defense play honest defending Snell.
I think the play calling issue is more about timing than the actual plays called.Like Kenny Rogers said "you got to know when to hold em' ,know when to fold em',when to run the ball and when to throw" or something like that. As an average fan if I can see what is coming then the defensive coaches can surly see it better than me.

I think the play calling issue is more about timing than the actual plays called.Like Kenny Rogers said "you got to know when to hold em' ,know when to fold em',when to run the ball and when to throw" or something like that. As an average fan if I can see what is coming then the defensive coaches can surly see it better than me.
That doesn't explain Florida calling plays to win games we almost never see from our OC.

Key is getting Watkins healthy. We have not been the same Oline since he went out. People don’t realize how important he was to this Oline. All you have to do is look back and once he went out we have not ran the ball nearly as effective. We’ve lost our two top Lt tackles. That’s hard to overcome. Price is good but he’s not as good as Watkins or Young...

According to JR, Watkins only participated in 3 plays vs SC so your theory is flawed.

According to JR, Watkins only participated in 3 plays vs SC so your theory is flawed.

Yeah he’s injured

Marcus Spears even commented on it before A&M game. Said we could be bitten in rear for his injury.. what he had seen on film that we would miss him. Not sure if flawed, but we need him back

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Yeah he’s injured

Marcus Spears even commented on it before A&M game. Said we could be bitten in rear for his injury.. what he had seen on film that we would miss him. Not sure if flawed, but we need him back

Yes, Watkins is injured.

Let me try this another way. If our running game went down the tubes, as you assert, with Watkins going out then how can you explain our offensive prowess in the first half of the SC game after Watkins went out from injury?

Yep, like the pass play on 3rd and 2 that the boards have killed Gran over. You know, when one TE was wide open in the flat and another was breaking open on the deep post.

Yep, like the pass play on 3rd and 2 that the boards have killed Gran over. You know, when one TE was wide open in the flat and another was breaking open on the deep post.
Maybe when the game is on the line, a sack takes you out of field goal range and you take Snell out of the backfield that's not the best time.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
True but would you bet our qb in that game with his play would have delivered a catchable ball? He was shook the whole game. Even Nolan Ryan had off days and got subbed out to give his team a better chance on that particular day. Not permanently but a chance to talk it out and regroup. It’s a team game. Gunnar should have got a series or two. That type coaching is what drives players to transfer.

True but would you bet our qb in that game with his play would have delivered a catchable ball? He was shook the whole game. Even Nolan Ryan had off days and got subbed out to give his team a better chance on that particular day. Not permanently but a chance to talk it out and regroup. It’s a team game. Gunnar should have got a series or two...

Based on what? You have some special insight the coaches don't have?

QBs transfer - it's part of the deal. I'm not saying our coaches are all seeing and all knowing but I am saying they more than likely have a better handle on how to handle their team/personnel than you or I or any other wannabe in the stands. They are in the business of winning games but they are also prone to second guess themselves as well.

Should they have given the ball to Benny more?
Should they have done something different on 3rd and 2?
Should they have run Gunnar out there?

The staff admittedly wondered about those decisions both during and after the fact.

The reality is they didn't do any of those and UK ended up losing. Was it because of any of those unanswered questions? That will forever remain unanswered but as surely as the sun comes up some keyboard Kreskin knows the answer without hesitation.

Never ceases to amaze me how some folks think they know it all. One thing I'm certain about is that I don't have all those answers but ask me about my own vocation and I'm pretty sure I can run rings around someone armchair QBing what I do.

I suspect the same can be said about UK's current staff.

Bye came at a really good time.

5-6 games in teams have more film and comprehensive scouting reports on TW. Staff and Terry both needed this time to work on somethings.

To be successful down the stretch the offense is going to have to be more productive in the pass game.

I'd have rested Benny all the way through the middle of next week and repped the passing game to death in practice.

Somebody needs to emerge against Vandy and Missouri. Either a TE, WR, or TW in the passing game. Heck, maybe even Gunnar in a change of pace role.

This has been a pretty good thread about what needs work in the bye week.I submit the coaches will change very little,we are 5-1 and change is not something Coach Stoops and this staff are very fond of doing.This isn't a total knock on Stoops,thinking outside the box isn't his style nor his strong suit.

The QB position needs attention,either working with TW in certain areas or getting Hoak off the bench,we are slipping into the same situation we did last season,the starter gets all the snaps unless he physically is not able to drag himself on the field.

It doesn't appear to me that Wilson is as physically/mentally tough as Johnson.He is stronger,bigger and should be more durable but I wonder if he is as willing to force himself to play thru what Johnson was willing to endure.

IIRC, we beat Florida at their place. Lots of people seem to have forgotten, so it is worth mentioning.
Absolutely but this conversation is about playcalling and the TA&M game. I would venture to say we called a better game against Florida than TA&M.

We have scored ONE TD on offense in the last SIX quarters of play. That is why I described our offense as stale.

5-6 games in teams have more film and comprehensive scouting reports on TW. Staff and Terry both needed this time to work on somethings.

To be successful down the stretch the offense is going to have to be more productive in the pass game.

This has been a pretty good thread about what needs work in the bye week.I submit the coaches will change very little,we are 5-1 and change is not something Coach Stoops and this staff are very fond of doing.This isn't a total knock on Stoops,thinking outside the box isn't his style nor his strong suit.

After 6 games, we know more about opponents, and opponents know more about us.

Wilson is still learning. He hasn’t played his best game yet. Mike Elko watched the UF tape. Texas AM stacked the box, covered man to man, and forced Wilson to make quick decisions under pressure. Last week, that worked. Other opponents will try the same. At an unknown future time, a light will come on for Wilson. Then he will make quicker, better decisions. That is why this is a great time for an off week of learning and study.

To address the false statement that MS doesn’t think outside the box and make changes. The coaches have tailored the plans to fit their players.

MS changed UK’s defensive system to 3-4 and moved Bud Dupree to OLB. Dupree became 1st rounder. MS started freshman Jon Toth at C after Toth redshirted as an OT under JP. Toth became one of the best Cs in UK history. The same year, MS signed Melvin Lewis, an overweight, unrecruited junior college DT out of Fullerton. Lewis was put on a nutrition program and redshirted. MS hired Vince Marrow and began to focus recruiting in Ohio, a border state neglected by previous UK coaches.

Lewis became a star NG. MS gave the starting QB job to redshirt Patrick Towles. MS moved DE Travaughn Paschal and TE Josh Forrest to MLB. UK upset South Carolina. MS and VM signed 11 players from Ohio, also 4 star back Stanley “Boom” Williams out of Georgia.

UK upset South Carolina in Columbia, then upset #25 Missouri. MS changed his starting QB in November, leading Towles to transfer to BC. MS signed Josh Allen, a 2 star DE out of New Jersey, a state not recruited by UK in decades. MS also signed Calvin Taylor, a lightly recruited 6’9 OT out of Augusta. MS made a recruiting innovation, signing taller CBs for his combination zone coverages.

Stoops developed walkon Cole Mosier as his starting LT. The passing game was opened up. Screen passes were used to neutralize pass rushes, and swing passes were used as checkdowns. Long passes were completed over the top. More blitz packages were used with Jordan Jones and the safeties. MS signed lightly-recruited back Benny Snell out of Ohio and lightly-recruited QB Stephen Johnson out of College of the Desert. UK upset Missouri on the road. Then UK upset #11 Louisville on the road behind 338 passing yards and 83 rushing yards by Johnson. UK played in the Taxslayer Bowl.

Freshman Lynn Bowden was used in multiple offensive roles. Freshman Quinton Bohanna was developed as the starting NG. UK used a grad transfer punter. Safety Mike Edwards was moved around at 3 positions in the defensive backfield. Josh Allen was used as a blitzing LB from the boundary and field sides. UK upset South Carolina on the road, then beat Tennessee. UK played in the Music City Bowl. UK began recruiting in Michigan, never done before.

Last edited:

QBs transfer - it's part of the deal. I'm not saying our coaches are all seeing and all knowing but I am saying they more than likely have a better handle on how to handle their team/personnel than you or I or any other wannabe in the stands. They are in the business of winning games but they are also prone to second guess themselves as well.

Should they have given the ball to Benny more?
Should they have done something different on 3rd and 2?
Should they have run Gunnar out there?

The staff admittedly wondered about those decisions both during and after the fact.

The reality is they didn't do any of those and UK ended up losing. Was it because of any of those unanswered questions? That will forever remain unanswered but as surely as the sun comes up some keyboard Kreskin knows the answer without hesitation.

Never ceases to amaze me how some folks think they know it all. One thing I'm certain about is that I don't have all those answers but ask me about my own vocation and I'm pretty sure I can run rings around someone armchair QBing what I do.

I suspect the same can be said about UK's current staff.

QBs transfer - it's part of the deal. I'm not saying our coaches are all seeing and all knowing but I am saying they more than likely have a better handle on how to handle their team/personnel than you or I or any other wannabe in the stands. They are in the business of winning games but they are also prone to second guess themselves as
Couldn't disagree more. We were told Hoak was neck and neck for the starting job. Threw and played well when he got a chance earlier. Wilson was out of it and hurting the team. Needed to regroup. Should have tried another hand with Gunnar.... at least for a couple series. We never crossed mid field on offense- had 6 3 and outs- cmon it’s a team game. Show confidence in your #2 qb who has 2 plus years in the program. I think your either naive or such a homer if you can’t foresee Gunnar possibly transferring. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised to see both our backups leave post season. The new transfer rule is made for these type situations. Sure don’t want to see it but if they couldn’t get a shot in the 2nd half then when? Furthermore I think you see him regardless vs Vandy as a coach’s mea culpa.

Couldn't disagree more. We were told Hoak was neck and neck for the starting job. Threw and played well when he got a chance earlier. Wilson was out of it and hurting the team. Needed to regroup. Should have tried another hand with Gunnar.... at least for a couple series. We never crossed mid field on offense- had 6 3 and outs- cmon it’s a team game. Show confidence in your #2 qb who has 2 plus years in the program. I think your either naive or such a homer if you can’t foresee Gunnar possibly transferring. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised to see both our backups leave post season. The new transfer rule is made for these type situations. Sure don’t want to see it but if they couldn’t get a shot in the 2nd half then when? Furthermore I think you see him regardless vs Vandy as a coach’s mea culpa.
Would like to see more fans use common sense and not be so down and suspicious. Any player can transfer, but they usually don’t. Players have lives and aren’t robots. Gunnar knows Terry won the job in August fair and square. I haven’t seen any signs that Gunnar is leaving. He works hard, and he understands why Terry is playing. The coaches see the players every day, so the coaches know who should play. You don’t see practices. You don’t sit in meetings. You don’t sit in the press box during games. If you think you know better than the coaches, you are way out there.

I think Hoak should get a series against Vandy to get some reps. We might need him to step up at some point this year.
What happens he comes in and throws a pick six first series. We don’t overcome give up a score on a trick play later, fumble in redzone and lose 20-14. Just like happened when we got barker a series at Vandy in 2015. Which also cost us from going to a bowl.

Would like to see more fans use common sense and not be so down and suspicious. Any player can transfer, but they usually don’t. Players have lives and aren’t robots. Gunnar knows Terry won the job in August fair and square. I haven’t seen any signs that Gunnar is leaving. He works hard, and he understands why Terry is playing. The coaches see the players every day, so the coaches know who should play. You don’t see practices. You don’t sit in meetings. You don’t sit in the press box during games. If you think you know better than the coaches, you are way out there.

We've heard for years how well some players perform in practice, but when they get in a game they struggle. Being a great practice player doesn't always translate to being a great player in real games. The reverse could also be true, but we rarely get to find out.

What happens he comes in and throws a pick six first series. We don’t overcome give up a score on a trick play later, fumble in redzone and lose 20-14. Just like happened when we got barker a series at Vandy in 2015. Which also cost us from going to a bowl.

So you are going to immediately expect the backup to come in and have a worst case possible scenario instead of coming in and maybe giving us a shot in the arm? Yet Wilson has 4 fumbles (2 lost) and 5 interceptions. It seems more likely Wilson will have a turnover at an inopportune time that will potentially cost us the game. Especially with teams loading the box and forcing him to make plays.

I'd take my chances with Hoak getting a couple of series over playing a whole game and looking like we did at A&M with Wilson never coming out. Who knows, Hoak could have come in with us running some hurry up offense and got a quick score like we did earlier in the year with him. I wouldn't run slow developing plays with him though. Get to the line quick and don't let the defense adjust and speed up the game.

We've heard for years how well some players perform in practice, but when they get in a game they struggle. Being a great practice player doesn't always translate to being a great player in real games. The reverse could also be true, but we rarely get to find out.

So you are going to immediately expect the backup to come in and have a worst case possible scenario instead of coming in and maybe giving us a shot in the arm? Yet Wilson has 4 fumbles (2 lost) and 5 interceptions. It seems more likely Wilson will have a turnover at an inopportune time that will potentially cost us the game. Especially with teams loading the box and forcing him to make plays.

I'd take my chances with Hoak getting a couple of series over playing a whole game and looking like we did at A&M with Wilson never coming out. Who knows, Hoak could have come in with us running some hurry up offense and got a quick score like we did earlier in the year with him. I wouldn't run slow developing plays with him though. Get to the line quick and don't let the defense adjust and speed up the game.

Didn’t hoak throw a should be pick six his first possession. A Vandy player catches that and scores. We went through this once before during the barker/towles debate. My outcome was exactly what happened.

And I’m sure the coaches are playing who they feel is by far best option. Their entire careers depend on winning.

Didn’t hoak throw a should be pick six his first possession. A Vandy player catches that and scores.
How many potential pick 6's has Wilson thrown but were dropped? Combine that with the 5 interceptions that he did have. A number of points scored against us were the fault of the offense (mainly Wilson). I know there was at least one interception that was returned to the redzone that resulted in 7 points and I think one fumble he had that occurred deep on our side of the field. I believe he also had a couple of interceptions that stopped likely scoring drives for us. So like I said, he is just as likely (maybe more) to cost us with a key mistake as Hoak is. Nobody is saying replace Wilson, but just to try something else when he is struggling.

Looks like you are confused.
No I'm not confused but are you too arrogant to admit it. I'm talking about play calling, using Mullen as an example and what we could do with the bye week to improve that. You OTOH are talking about the Florida game. Now it's your turn to take responsibility and we all get to see if you will do it.

No I'm not confused but are you too arrogant to admit it. I'm talking about play calling, using Mullen as an example and what we could do with the bye week to improve that. You OTOH are talking about the Florida game. Now it's your turn to take responsibility and we all get to see if you will do it.
Know when to fold ‘em. I bet you float. I gave your quotes. They say it all. I guess anyone who disagrees with you just must be “arrogant”, since you can’t possibly be. Where does all the lashing out come from?

Know when to fold ‘em. I bet you float. I gave your quotes. I guess anyone who disagrees with you just must be “arrogant”, since you can’t possibly be. Where does all the lashing out come from?
Look your being an idiot, go back to my first post in this thread and maybe you'll find a clue as to why I've been consistent and you are indeed being arrogant.

ADVERTISEMENT