ADVERTISEMENT

Building a Wall . . . .

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
I'm all for one between us and Mexico, and I didn't even vote for Trump.

But I oppose spending a penny on it, until we build one between the basketball forum and this one.

Rupp'sRunt has had a heyday on negativity, and I glance at his message count, assuming he is a flyby Card fan, or a UT arse, and see he has like 5,000 messages?

Wonder where he's been hanging out?

Haven't seen him here with celebratory posts as Stoops has slowly but steadily built the facilities and talent level to a point where we can play mediocre ball and win. Wonder what his posts read about the Louisville win, last year, or the second most prestigious bowl game we have attended in 60 years?

Hey, roundball fans, if this 2-0 start so angers you, I guess you want to go back to seasons when 2 wins was all we could muster.

Folks, this ain't rocket science . . . . we're lucky to have Stoops and his staff at a program that is about as poor as it could be for the last 50 years.

And there is no comparison to be made between Stoops and Cal . . . . Cal continues an excellence that was created and sustained for decades prior to his birth, while Stoops is overcoming mediocrity (and openly expressed ignorance) that has affected our football program for longer than most reading these words have been alive.

Simply put, I question the motivation and decency of folks who appear from the ether, like buzzard's pouncing on rotting meat, when things appear to be going wrong. I put them in the same category as a sadist who would go to Shriner's Hospital to ridicule those trying to walk . . . . greatly differing circumstances, but the same moral (or immoral) inspiration.

It doesn't matter. The rafters would just ladder over it or tunnel under it. And lets go ahead and post the obvious, the large number of rafters posters flew here by plane legally on student, work, or tourist visas and overstayed their welcome. More importantly the more you try to enforce that border between the rafters crowd and the football elite the more likely they are to stay for longer periods of time fearing they'll never be able to come back if they leave.

So you would prefer a forum with no negativity at all, not entirely sure I understand your premise. Discussing sports on message boards is always going to have both positive remarks and constructive criticism umless it's during the joker or curry years then it's flat out well earned criticism. Basketball board has more negative comments on it than this one does by far. Think calipari and the basketball team gets a break when the likes of podunk state gives them a much closer game than it should be?

I for one like the diversity of the board, and yes some will certainly go over the top on the negative post but I typically just don't pay those kinds of post much attention unless of course there are valid points being made.

Stoops UK team struggled to beat eastern in year three so this past weeks game was a bit of a litmus test if you will to see how much improvement we have made in the last two years. For three quarters EKU again looked like the better team on the field which is quite discerning considering the recruitment levels we have reached. Certainly not the end of the world or the season but a legitimate cause for concern on the outlook for the remainder of the season is/was certainly warranted.

Reactions: EliteBlue and rye48
Hack is on a mission to have his likes eclipse his posts. He is just 20 away (as of my post). This thread may take him over the top!!

If that happens, will we ever see him again here? Will he drop the mic, leave the room, and just retire? I am now torn between cheering for more likes and hoping he falls short of his goal!!!

If it has to be voted on...ala the Republican Congress...it won't happen. Lot of lip service...no action.

Reactions: rye48
I don't see where people get so upset about other UK fans unless someone is really being a butt, for some unknown reason, ripping on Stoops and FB while loving everything Cal and his gang are doing. I happen to love UK basketball and go to all our games but I do the same with UK football too and have endured all the down years we have had to go through. I certainly see there is a difference in the two programs and what our current coaches had to go through to get where they are and how different that was too. But, I certainly am not angered by a 2-0 start by our football team and just hope they go on to an even better season that last year. Shoot, I even went to Jacksonville for our bowl game that was such a horrible disappointment. But, I don't ever want to be labeled either pro basketball or pro football in my fandom, I love both! I also go to UK baseball, women's basketball, and volleyball on a very regular basis as I just plain love UK. So, I just don't understand why UK fans can't root for the success of all programs and not just focus on one. I'm not as familiar with the posts of Rupp'sRunt as the OP so I can't speak for what he has been doing. Seems like I do recall some negative stuff from him but don't pay him that much attention, I guess. Maybe I should. But, if there is something criticizing football, or basketball, why not on a message board as long as it is called for and isn't over the top and constant criticism with no recognition for the fine job Stoops has been doing at UK? Not sure if I'm making my point very well but hope you all understand where I'm coming from.

So you would prefer a forum with no negativity at all, not entirely sure I understand your premise. Discussing sports on message boards is always going to have both positive remarks and constructive criticism umless it's during the joker or curry years then it's flat out well earned criticism. Basketball board has more negative comments on it than this one does by far. Think calipari and the basketball team gets a break when the likes of podunk state gives them a much closer game than it should be?

I for one like the diversity of the board, and yes some will certainly go over the top on the negative post but I typically just don't pay those kinds of post much attention unless of course there are valid points being made.

Stoops UK team struggled to beat eastern in year three so this past weeks game was a bit of a litmus test if you will to see how much improvement we have made in the last two years. For three quarters EKU again looked like the better team on the field which is quite discerning considering the recruitment levels we have reached. Certainly not the end of the world or the season but a legitimate cause for concern on the outlook for the remainder of the season is/was certainly warranted.
It's not really about the negativity, at least for me. I'm not one of the posters who are ecstatic about the 2-0 start. I think we've played poorly against a mediocre and a bad team, to be honest.

However, what bothers me is that there are some posters who aren't objective about their negativity. You'll see people totally disregard positive stats or facts about UK football and constantly bash the team. You never see these posters after wins. I'm not convinced that a majority of fans of another team. I like to think most people won't waste their time posing as a fan of a team they dislike (could be wrong). I think it's more of the fact that some people have a tendency to always be negative about sports.

I don't think this is unique to UK fans either. Whenever Andy Dalton has a bad game the same 3 people text me saying how bad he is and we need to go in a new direction. My Twitter feed blows up about him being awful. When he has a great game, I don't get the texts from those people and Twitter posts are mostly about how the team won, not Dalton playing well.

If UK beats USC this weekend, the posters like me who have criticized the team, but at least try to remain objective, will show up and be happy. If we win that's a big win regardless of how it looks. However, there's a group of posters that won't show up if we win, but will be out with all of their exclamation points and doom and gloom when we lose a game later in the season.

But I oppose spending a penny on it, until we build one between the basketball forum and this one.

Rupp'sRunt has had a heyday on negativity, and I glance at his message count, assuming he is a flyby Card fan, or a UT arse, and see he has like 5,000 messages?

Haven't seen him here with celebratory posts as Stoops has slowly but steadily built the facilities and talent level to a point where we can play mediocre ball and win. Wonder what his posts read about the Louisville win, last year, or the second most prestigious bowl game we have attended in 60 years?

Hey, roundball fans, if this 2-0 start so angers you, I guess you want to go back to seasons when 2 wins was all we could muster.

Folks, this ain't rocket science . . . . we're lucky to have Stoops and his staff at a program that is about as poor as it could be for the last 50 years.

And there is no comparison to be made between Stoops and Cal . . . . Cal continues an excellence that was created and sustained for decades prior to his birth, while Stoops is overcoming mediocrity (and openly expressed ignorance) that has affected our football program for longer than most reading these words have been alive.

Simply put, I question the motivation and decency of folks who appear from the ether, like buzzard's pouncing on rotting meat, when things appear to be going wrong. I put them in the same category as a sadist who would go to Shriner's Hospital to ridicule those trying to walk . . . . greatly differing circumstances, but the same moral (or immoral) inspiration.
You so eloquently said what I crudely attempted to say yesterday: https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/real-question.241566/

This happens every year - there is a short period of time when the "liv'n_4_9" crowd realize that it is football season, watch a game (or two), and go into convulsions because (1) unlike the UK basketball team, there ARE NOT 5-star players lined up three deep at every position on the UK football roster; (2) football is a much different sport than basketball and any team (including FCS teams) can give any other team fits; (3) UK football has not received the love, admiration, doting, and financial support from the UK administration that UK basketball has for the last century; and (4) UofL has Lamar Jackson and they are green with envy. Just wait - apparently September 29 is the day they will disappear until next August... Good riddance.

Reactions: ukalum1988
Since Bear left in 1953 to 2003 we averaged 4.5 wins/yr. We averaged 1 season that was ".500 or above" every 2.7 yrs. And we averaged a bowl every 8.5 yrs.

From 2003 to 2016, we've gone to a bowl every 2.3 yrs. And this includes Brooks/Stoops digging out of holes left by "previous administrations." And just recently we've gained facilities that are competitive. And We are pulling in "on paper" recruiting classes that are better than we've ever had. And We are getting national recognition for Stoops "building something in Lexington."

Last edited:

I wish I could like this about 10 times. If you say something positive about this team or staff, you get crushed. This is the best football around here in a while, equal to Brooks and I think will surpass Brooks. No, I am not settling for being mediocre, but I sure as hell don't want to go back to 2-10

It's not really about the negativity, at least for me. I'm not one of the posters who are ecstatic about the 2-0 start. I think we've played poorly against a mediocre and a bad team, to be honest.

However, what bothers me is that there are some posters who aren't objective about their negativity. You'll see people totally disregard positive stats or facts about UK football and constantly bash the team. You never see these posters after wins. I'm not convinced that a majority of fans of another team. I like to think most people won't waste their time posing as a fan of a team they dislike (could be wrong). I think it's more of the fact that some people have a tendency to always be negative about sports.

I don't think this is unique to UK fans either. Whenever Andy Dalton has a bad game the same 3 people text me saying how bad he is and we need to go in a new direction. My Twitter feed blows up about him being awful. When he has a great game, I don't get the texts from those people and Twitter posts are mostly about how the team won, not Dalton playing well.

If UK beats USC this weekend, the posters like me who have criticized the team, but at least try to remain objective, will show up and be happy. If we win that's a big win regardless of how it looks. However, there's a group of posters that won't show up if we win, but will be out with all of their exclamation points and doom and gloom when we lose a game later in the season.
If UK wins by 30, a lot, I mean A LOT of the posters ripping Stoops will be in hiding until the next loss or close game

Reactions: The-Hack

Certainly understand what you mean but if they weren't given attention they would disappear in time. I'm sure the posters you are referring to you know who they are as does the OP. Ignore function I hear works great but I've never used it myself as rarely little bothers me that I read. I simply move on to the next thread, post, etc. To each their own though in that regard.

Reactions: FtCampbellCat

Hard not to agree with your points, but I do take issue with a couple.

The fact that you seem to imply that all or most of the negative is coming from roundball fans is to be extremely naive. Take a moment and review some threads and you will undoubtedly note that much of the criticism of our football team and coaches comes from folks who know one heck of a lot about football (and I'm not one of those, on either count). Not saying that bball fans don't know football, but most fans seem to be more knowledgeable about their favorite sport.

And I think Mexico will pay for the wall.

You sound like a football only fan...

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I'm as Big a Basketball fan as I am a Football fan... never understood the separation within UK fans.

Really sad if you ask me that BB only fans would be over here starting baiting threads against fellow UK fans.. They're not real Kentucky fans in my book. Just front running wanna be's.. I bleed Blue in all sports that UK us playing in. But then again I'm a KENTUCKY Fan!!!

So you would prefer a forum with no negativity at all, not entirely sure I understand your premise.

Obviously, you do not understand my premise . . . . I have had questions about scheme, and missing offense . . . . but I didn't show up out of the ether with 5000 posts from the roundball forum to trash the football program, tell those fans who retain some optimism that they are accepting of mediocrity, or trash Stoops as a failure. Where in my post did I suggest there should be "no negativity at all?"

I guess as a football "first" fan, I need to bide my time until Kentucky loses in the Sweet 16, or Elite 8, and then tell all roundball fans that they are accepting mediocrity if they don't trash Cal. And better yet, not celebrate his recruiting victories on the roundball forum, as it will add to my luster when trashing a loss, if no one knows who the hell I am.

I'm not as familiar with the posts of Rupp'sRunt as the OP so I can't speak for what he has been doing.

Hmmmm. You not only fail to understand my premise, you did not read the material that brought it about . . . . but you respond to it . . . .

The fact that you seem to imply that all or most of the negative is coming from roundball fans is to be extremely naive.

I can tolerate negativity from football fans a bit more, if I'm convinced they are Kentucky football fans, indeed. Most of them were here on national signing day, and most celebrate wins . . . . and most have some background to realistically criticize coaching decisions. It burns my arse when the comparisons to basketball fortunes come up . . . . hey I want No. 9, too, but the false bravado and "know-it-all-ism" of roundball only fans who had no more to do with the establishment of UK as a basketball power than I did, pisses me off.

You sound like a football only fan...

I didn't know UK had a football program until I was 7 years old. Through the years, especially the 80's when I attended UK professional school, I progressively became a Football first fan, and had the opportunity, briefly, to meet lots of athletes in both programs, and kind of understand how things really worked in the University, and its sports programs.

I have a several year history of posting some misgivings I had in the 80's, most of which were exposed in the major scandals that broke in 1986 and, what, 1989? And for the "basketball first fans," let me say this------and it is largely off topic: while UK and major basketball boosters were doing the things that they were exposed for in the 80's, and earlier-------I know for a fact that our Student Athletes were required to attend their classes, and maintain true academic qualifications . . . . . in all sports.

I often pulled all-nighters in law school, and was up like at 6:30 a.m, and saw Basketball players headed to early classes and academic sessions. And football players? They were headed to graduate school, in the eighties, more often than not.

Yes, families and players received financial assistance (since widely reported/exposed/punished) but no one in our University that I know of allowed our athletes or the desire to win to make a mockery of actual education, as was a multi-decade practice at North Carolina. They should be hammered, and multiple banners need to come down.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Hack is on a mission to have his likes eclipse his posts. He is just 20 away (as of my post). This thread may take him over the top!!

Somehow this reminds me of the old country joke about the rooster that was a bit oversexed, that bred every farm animal, regardless of species, and then flopped over with an apparent heart attack. The farmer leaned over him, and said, "finally *&^%$#@# yourself to death, little buddy." The rooster opened one eye and whispered, "Shhhhhhhh . . . . three buzzards are about to land."

The fact that you seem to imply that all or most of the negative is coming from roundball fans is to be extremely naive. Take a moment and review some threads and you will undoubtedly note that much of the criticism of our football team and coaches comes from folks who know one heck of a lot about football (and I'm not one of those, on either count). Not saying that bball fans don't know football, but most fans seem to be more knowledgeable about their favorite sport.

Yep. And to add to that, go to the bball board during the season when we lose a game or won by single digits and it has way more negativity. So what's the excuse there? "Football only fans"? No, the answer is this is the Internet and people thrive on being negative. This board just loves to blame the successful program for some reason. I know exponentially more "football" people who hypocritically eximplify the behavior that fits the accusations they throw around. I don't get to. UK is UK, if you're a fan then be a fan for all the major sports.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
The board would be really boring if every post was an "atta boy". Recruiting is the best it's ever been hopefully Stoops can get us competitive against the "lower" part of the upper tier of the SEC which is UT, UGA, and Florida in the east. This year should give us a better idea if it will happen.

I've been somewhat critical of the conservative offense up to this point, but in no way have I been calling for Stoops to be fired or anything like that. I'm a long time UK fan that started going to games in the 70s, and I have witnessed some very bad football and decent football at times. I don't care if we run the wishbone as long as we win.

Then Mexico will raise prices on the goods they import here and we will pay for the wall...

Hack, some have so many different names and accounts they don't know who they are when they get online.

I will say that at least here even the negative posters are loyal fans. The basketball board is full of bandwagoners from all over. No one bandwagons, much less posts on a UK football board unless they are a real fan. Sad it's that way but it's the truth

Reactions: FtCampbellCat
Hack, you accuse me of not understanding your premise but then say the exact same thing to others. I doubt we are so much below your intellect level as to not be able to comprehend your post. See how you are criticizing and being negative to other UK fans who are trying to understand what your message really is attempting to get across? Sound anything like what you are complaining about being over critical? Maybe it is you who didn't explain just what you mean that well? I didn't see what you were referring to and stated that very plainly. But, I did understand that this Rupp'sRunt poster offended you by, I would imagine, saying very negative things about Stoops and the program that set you off. Maybe giving some examples of what he specifically said would have been helpful. I don't read every thread on the boards so I can't respond to exactly what he said since I didn't see it. What I really was trying to respond to was your assumption about basketball only fans and that is where I had a problem. If he truly is a basketball only fan and being extremely and unfairly critical of Stoops then I agree with you but I think maybe you were making an assumption about him. Maybe he is just a guy who enjoys stirring up UK fans on message boards, we do have plenty of those types. Anyway, sorry if I hurt your feelings, you're probably a great UK fan and, hopefully, support all UK programs.

My post to you, ORCAT was as follows:

Hmmmm. You not only fail to understand my premise, you did not read the material that brought it about . . . . but you respond to it . . . .

The reference to premise was a reiteration of the subject I had quoted above you (and you) but my real emphasis was your admission that you had not read the material to which I was responding . . . . but responded to it.

Hack, you accuse me of not understanding your premise but then say the exact same thing to others. I doubt we are so much below your intellect level as to not be able to comprehend your post.

I am not placing disagreements and discussions on the same plain of morality (or lack thereof) as the posts of which I complain.

Have you, ORCAT, suddenly shown up "from the ether" with a massive post count (obviously gathered elsewhere), to trash Stoops, or state that we who retain optimism are "accepting of mediocrity?" And was it your first time to appear on the Football Forum? Have you compared Stoops with Cal, and been unable to distinguish the massive differences in the jobs they are respectively attempting to perform.

Frankly, ORCAT, the portion of your original post in this forum that I took exception to was this:

I'm not as familiar with the posts of Rupp'sRunt as the OP so I can't speak for what he has been doing.

My OP was clearly aimed at Rupp'sRunt . . . . but you responded in a quasi-defense of him, or rather a rambling, "can't we all just get along" type response.

I never questioned your intellect, or anyone else's . . . . my post to you was to question your response's preparation and relevancy, not it's intellectual content.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT