ADVERTISEMENT

Bryan Hudson

I’ll be objective-can you?

I know I can. I doubt you can. You are already predicting negative thIngs. That screams a lack of objectivity.

I can open up a whole other discussion about why I think we don’t recruit better, in state and out of state but we’ll be responding up until season starts if I do. How about we wait for the season to start and I’ll point out specific actions that hurt recruiting-coaching issues, style of play, scheme, schedule, etc? Many of the things will be perceived, many will be gaping holes if you’re willing to be open minded and objective. Again, don’t care about our history, what Joker did or the 1940’s team-talking here and now with the team we have. Supposed to be a year that we take a step forward. You up for it?

Reactions: jauk11
Don’t think it’s flawed. First time in 70+ years we didn’t land any kids from KY. I’m talking this year-now.

Well, I could argue that we did get ALL the four star recruits from the state of Kentucky in 2010-----

We didn't have any. And while we did land the top one or two rated ones from in state that year I don't remember them doing anything here.

You take the best talent you can get from where ever you can get it, and I am sure the coaches have tried hard to get any in state talent that they thought could help us, I would like to get all the in state talent that can help us but a lot of the local talent has been following UK for a lot longer than the RECENT support we are getting now.

I think we have been over this. When it was being done your way in previous decades, our football program languished. You can’t get over the fact that, after decades of low budget recruiting, this athletics director and this coaching staff have raised the ante and prioritized Ohio, Michigan, Florida. Again, every instate player you want already has a UK scholarship offer. They have a free choice. Do you want Stoops to kidnap them? Pay them? Forge their signatures? The father of a current Wildcat just blew up your contrived point of view about “focus”.

Glad to see that you acknowledge the decades of low budget recruiting, progress. AND a nice post overall.

I can open up a whole other discussion about why I think we don’t recruit better, in state and out of state but we’ll be responding up until season starts if I do. How about we wait for the season to start and I’ll point out specific actions that hurt recruiting-coaching issues, style of play, scheme, schedule, etc? Many of the things will be perceived, many will be gaping holes if you’re willing to be open minded and objective. Again, don’t care about our history, what Joker did or the 1940’s team-talking here and now with the team we have. Supposed to be a year that we take a step forward. You up for it?

MOST of the in state kids that follow football at all probably have a hard time forgetting the TWO consecutive two win seasons, while out of state recruits focus on the new facilities and the long overdue new emphasis on football by UK. And MOST in state football players that are serious about football do follow UK football.

No thanks. I am not interested in your expectation to be disappointed before you even see the team take the field. I’ll pass on that.

Big year for UK football, and there is a big possibility this season will renew a lot of the in state players interest in UK.

MOST of the in state kids that follow football at all probably have a hard time forgetting the TWO consecutive two win seasons, while out of state recruits focus on the new facilities and the long overdue new emphasis on football by UK. And MOST in state football players that are serious about football do follow UK football.

We are in agreement...exactly what we have to change-perception. We’ve come a long ways in this session. Not sure you’re fixable though.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Playing time. It's that simple. Hudson might play as a true freshman and will likely be a starter by his second year.

Read through 2 pages and glad to see no one blamed the fans for the reason why Ky kids are turning down their home state school. Yes in HOB their were several guys blaming fans for not being all in on the staff and questioning his every move .That the kids see this and as a result don't want to come here because fans want to see improvement out of the staff. Thought that was rather strange myself since every school has fans that critique the coaches .

What I found really interesting is they did not point out the posts saying Ky kids are not that good and we don't need them anyways. I guess they did not see that since it was themselves saying it.
I mean if a kid comes to the board and he reads posters on here saying Ky kids suck And we need Ohio kids instead then I'd say that has more of an effect on him than someone saying they wished the staff could count to 11.

It would be nice if we could land an additional 4-4star players a year to the squad from the state. It would surely bump us into the top 20 in recruiting and have us comparable to Ole Miss, South Carolina etc .

I know Ohio produces more talent than Ky but their state has a much bigger population and we have had a ton of Ohio kids not pan out and transfer as well. It's not like only Ky kids transfer. Over the years looking back we have had some excellent talent come through UK that was instate players.
I mean it took a Ky kid as a redshirt freshmen to come in an anchor the center position and did a superb job as a freshmen .

We don’t have to bash Kentucky kids or Ohio kids or Forida kids or any other kid. Again, Hudson would have been a great addition, but the idea that he was a must get or there is calamity is bunk. I don’t see Bama fans bemoaning the loss of Logan Stenberg and that kid will probably play in the NFL. Recruiting is about players, not geography.

Playing time. It's that simple. Hudson might play as a true freshman and will likely be a starter by his second year.

You used to post a ton on here, do you think UK will ever catch up to VT in football prestige? We just went through another decade of terrible (And senseless) neglect and now are making up a lot of lost ground, IMO.

Who the heck is a Tarheel? I don’t disagree with most of your points above, and have stated as much throughout. However, my original post stated that we cannot continue missing out on highly regarded, in state recruits. Nothing more, nothing less. We apparently don’t need any Kentucky kids as long as we get out of state kids equal to Kentucky kids. Got it...ridiculous, but I got it.[/QUOTE]

What?

We don’t have to bash Kentucky kids or Ohio kids or Forida kids or any other kid. Again, Hudson would have been a great addition, but the idea that he was a must get or there is calamity is bunk. I don’t see Bama fans bemoaning the loss of Logan Stenberg and that kid will probably play in the NFL. Recruiting is about players, not geography.

Not getting any for the class is the issue. I agree we don’t NEED him, however, we do NEED several of our best in state kids. Replace two or three of the out of state 2 and 3 star players with a couple of 4 star players from KY. Recruiting classes would improve-Would hope to see it translate to improvement on the field. Also, if we intend to change the perception of KY football to other recruits, we need KY kids to lead the charge.

Why do our fans continue to post about players from Kentucky who end up committing elsewhere? Let it go already, we are fine. This will turn around on a few years. You wanna know why players from Ky go elsewhere, it is because growing up in Ky they see the frustration that is Kentucky football past. It will take many successful years before the image of the program improves within the state., Out of state players don't grow up seeing what the Ky kids see so all they see is our current success and not the futility of many years that the Ky kids grew up seeing. This will turn around but it is going to take time.

Last edited:
Not getting any for the class is the issue. I agree we don’t NEED him, however, we do NEED several of our best in state kids. Replace two or three of the out of state 2 and 3 star players with a couple of 4 star players from KY. Recruiting classes would improve-Would hope to see it translate to improvement on the field. Also, if we intend to change the perception of KY football to other recruits, we need KY kids to lead the charge.

I want the best Kentucky has to offer to come to UK, but there is a bunch in your post that you simply cannot support with facts. A 4 star Elam was bumped to the sidelines by a 2 star Bohanna. A 3 star Jones kept a 4 star Brown off the field. A 3 star Allen is arguably the best player we have on the team, yet a 4 star from Trinity could never make an impact. Pitting players by geography against each other makes zero sense and simply does not hold water. Relying upon a star system for your conviction has been shown repeatedly to have weak foundation. While the 5 star Young and 4 star Jackson seem to be the real deal, we see 3 stars from out of state fighting for positions on the starting Oline. Watkins was said to have made a better early impression than Young at the same stage last year. Stenberg and Big George are getting praise. Your plan for improvement just does not hold water. Finally, the idea that Kentucky kids will be better agents to change the perception of UK football is likewise without merit. Now, if it is high school football that you want changed in Ky, then players from Kentucky having success, regardless of where they play, will have that impact.

You used to post a ton on here, do you think UK will ever catch up to VT in football prestige? We just went through another decade of terrible (And senseless) neglect and now are making up a lot of lost ground, IMO.
UK is in good shape. Probably better than I can ever remember. It's not really fair to compare the program to anything other than itself. Losing in-state recruits is something every team does.

UK is in good shape. Probably better than I can ever remember. It's not really fair to compare the program to anything other than itself. Losing in-state recruits is something every team does.
Yes we're in pretty good shape, but still some folks wrap 60 years of neglect into one decade and don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Reactions: law1127
Yes we're in pretty good shape, but still some folks wrap 60 years of neglect into one decade and don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Yaah, you got a like from the guy that thought running the football program underground was a good plan, lol.

The first DECADE of mitch's support for football was probably just as bad as any other UK AD's, considering that UK had probation to overcome AND football was the emerging money cow and ALL of our rivals were investing in it.

Just incompetent or afraid to do the right thing, making too much money, couldn't do the RIGHT thing. PLUS his PR goofs, that cost us a lot in donations AND season ticket sales.

I have often asked for some of the bean counters (that might have noticed the incredible money football was throwing away and been the reason for reinvesting SOME of the MILLIONS rolling in now due to football back into it) to estimate how many millions football lost because the AD wouldn't stand up and be counted, instead spending ALL of UK's football extra income on HIS minor sports.

From the season ticket renewal thread the other day it seems like the cheapest season tickets cost over $300 (how much were your CANCELLED season tickets costing you-----and LOTS of those thousands won't be coming back)------plus parking and KFund if you indulge. And the higher priced ones much more. If the average was only $400 the almost TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders we lost has been costing us almost $8,000,000 a year (very conservative) AND is still going on, PLUS there is NO DOUBT football fans donations fell off a great deal------look up the LONG RUNNING thread by fans saying they WANTED to donate to FOOTBALL but would NEVER donate a cent while mitch was in charge of spending the money. For instance, AFTER UK started spending on football (due to the strike) the $40 to $45 million dollar money for the football facility was built ENTIRELY from donations in a year or so.

The money mitch cost us from his miserly support of the MONEY COW for OVER A DECADE could have made a LOT more money available for his chase of his personal goal of the best overall sports program.

Penny wise and pound foolish, the million or two he cost us by writing CBCG's contract on a piece of scrap paper (or was it toilet paper?) is a significant indicator of his management (along with his PR blunders and some coaching hires) but pales into insignificance compared to the MILLIONS he has cost us in football.

But thanks for asking me to bring up the sordid details again, CONSECUTIVE two win seasons, under different coaches.

Last edited:
Yaah, you got a like from the guy that thought running the football program underground was a good plan, lol.

The first DECADE of mitch's support for football was probably just as bad as any other UK AD's, considering that UK had probation to overcome AND football was the emerging money cow and ALL of our rivals were investing in it.

Just incompetent or afraid to do the right thing, making too much money, couldn't do the RIGHT thing. PLUS his PR goofs, that cost us a lot in donations AND season ticket sales.

I have often asked for some of the bean counters (that might have noticed the incredible money football was throwing away and been the reason for reinvesting SOME of the MILLIONS rolling in now due to football back into it) to estimate how many millions football lost because the AD wouldn't stand up and be counted, instead spending ALL of UK's football extra income on HIS minor sports.

From the season ticket renewal thread the other day it seems like the cheapest season tickets cost over $300 (how much were your CANCELLED season tickets costing you-----and LOTS of those thousands won't be coming back)------plus parking and KFund if you indulge. And the higher priced ones much more. If the average was only $400 the almost TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders we lost has been costing us almost $8,000,000 a year (very conservative) AND is still going on, PLUS there is NO DOUBT football fans donations fell off a great deal------look up the LONG RUNNING thread by fans saying they WANTED to donate to FOOTBALL but would NEVER donate a cent while mitch was in charge of spending the money. For instance, AFTER UK started spending on football (due to the strike) the $40 to $45 million dollar money for the football facility was built ENTIRELY from donations in a year or so.

The money mitch cost us from his miserly support of the MONEY COW for OVER A DECADE could have made a LOT more money available for his chase of his personal goal of the best overall sports program.

Penny wise and pound foolish, the million or two he cost us by writing CBCG's contract on a piece of scrap paper (or was it toilet paper?) is a significant indicator of his management (along with his PR blunders and some coaching hires) but pales into insignificance compared to the MILLIONS he has cost us in football.

But thanks for asking me to bring up the sordid details again, CONSECUTIVE two win seasons, under different coaches.

I can summarize more quickly..Mitch sucks! I agree...

If you don't think stars matter, you are fooling yourself. Sure you can pick a 3 star here and there that is better than a 4 star here or there, especially since there are a billion more 3 stars than 4 stars. The fact is look at the teams that win national championships, they correlate with the best recruiting classes. Look at percentage of which stars go to the NFL.

AD's and Presidents can help or hinder a schools football program big time. As bad as Mitch has been he may not have been the worst. Tennessee and the hiring search. Miami's president not wanting the U to ne known as a football school. Even VT's old AD wanted to replace "Enter Sandman" with the "Hokie Pokie". Can you imagine running onto the field for a big home game to the hokie pokie? I'm not sure if these folks lose touch with what the fans want or if there is booster money pushing them in certain directions but they sure do some head scratchers. At least Mitch hired a good head coach in Stoops.

Reactions: robo222
AD's and Presidents can help or hinder a schools football program big time. As bad as Mitch has been he may not have been the worst. Tennessee and the hiring search. Miami's president not wanting the U to ne known as a football school. Even VT's old AD wanted to replace "Enter Sandman" with the "Hokie Pokie". Can you imagine running onto the field for a big home game to the hokie pokie? I'm not sure if these folks lose touch with what the fans want or if there is booster money pushing them in certain directions but they sure do some head scratchers. At least Mitch hired a good head coach in Stoops.
Very, very debatable and far from being proven with Stoops. Way to many weaknesses.

I find it funny that some folks get really upset when a KY kid chooses an out of state school, but when an out of state kid chooses UK, they don't think anything of it.

Were OSU fans having this same discussion when we signed Bowden?
Were Mich and MSU fans having this same discussion when we signed McCall?

My daughter really wants to attend college out of state. Shes a non-athlete but still, some kids just want to get a different experience. If a kid admits he is a big "UK fan" growing up, and he goes elsewhere, that is sometimes a bitter pill, but I would never bash a kid for wanting to broaden his horizons so to speak.

I remember, years ago, when a kid at my school, Brandon Newman, ended up choosing Notre Dame over UK. He, our football staff, and others were roasted on these boards for letting him "get away"
When you are close to the situation, you look at it soooo much differently than as just a fan.

There are so many factors to way HS students pick a college and loyalty to the state school is very low

Example from NCAAWBB
2019 #1 Recruit Samantha Brunelle picked Notre Dame over Virginia even though she lives in the Charlottesville Metro Area

Until we string more than two decent seasons in a row, Kentucky kids that are 'serious' about football look at programs that count on a bowl game as a matter of fact, not something that has happened less than 20 times in a 150 years.

Stoops got a chance to recruit his first couple years like it was either 'the Replacements' or ' Unnecessary Roughness'. Which is OK while Louisville was doing 'the longest yard'.

Now if THIS season is a success and some UK kids get drafted for Sunday.....we may get more serious kids looking at us.

I find it funny that some folks get really upset when a KY kid chooses an out of state school, but when an out of state kid chooses UK, they don't think anything of it.

Were OSU fans having this same discussion when we signed Bowden?
Were Mich and MSU fans having this same discussion when we signed McCall?

My daughter really wants to attend college out of state. Shes a non-athlete but still, some kids just want to get a different experience. If a kid admits he is a big "UK fan" growing up, and he goes elsewhere, that is sometimes a bitter pill, but I would never bash a kid for wanting to broaden his horizons so to speak.

I remember, years ago, when a kid at my school, Brandon Newman, ended up choosing Notre Dame over UK. He, our football staff, and others were roasted on these boards for letting him "get away"
When you are close to the situation, you look at it soooo much differently than as just a fan.

No. No. No. Nobody is talking about 1 kid. We are talking about an entire class. And not just any class, the best class in ky history. Likely 10 kids that UK would take, and we don't look very good with the top 6 or 7 for sure, and maybe not even after that.

To suggest it's one kid is silly.

Until we string more than two decent seasons in a row, Kentucky kids that are 'serious' about football look at programs that count on a bowl game as a matter of fact, not something that has happened less than 20 times in a 150 years.

Stoops got a chance to recruit his first couple years like it was either 'the Replacements' or ' Unnecessary Roughness'. Which is OK while Louisville was doing 'the longest yard'.

Now if THIS season is a success and some UK kids get drafted for Sunday.....we may get more serious kids looking at us.

And some UK kids WILL get drafted on Sunday. Ending the long running digs by some of my favorite posters about Stoops not sending any of his HIGH SCHOOL recruits to the NFL.

And some UK kids WILL get drafted on Sunday. Ending the long running digs by some of my favorite posters about Stoops not sending any of his HIGH SCHOOL recruits to the NFL.
ZERO players invited to the combine( only SEC team to do so) , pray tell who they might be?

ZERO players invited to the combine( only SEC team to do so) , pray tell who they might be?

Speaking of next year obviously, as you well know, I don't follow the NFL any more, so any football talk is about next year to me. We would have had some this year but for the fact that they wanted to come back for more coaching from this staff, the staff that should be in high school judging from all the cheap shots you keep taking.

As you well know we had five that had some shot at going pro IF they hadn't decided to come back, the season coming up we will have those five PLUS several more, Snell should be pretty high on some teams lists.

Last edited:
Speaking of next year obviously, as you well know, I don't follow the NFL any more, so any football talk is about next year to me. We would have had some this year but for the fact that they wanted to come back for more coaching from this staff, the staff that should be in high school judging from all the cheap shots you keep taking.

As you well know we had five that had some shot at going pro IF they hadn't decided to come back, the season coming up we will have those five PLUS several more, Snell should be pretty high on some teams lists.
You didn't say next year you said Sunday...one of these days you are going to get something right. Hang in there.

Unless you are a perennial powerhouse you are going to lose in-state talent for various reasons. Look at the state of Virginia and how much HS talent it puts out...to FSU, Bama, Clemson, Ohio State etc...VT might get one of the 4 stars if lucky. It's not just Kentucky or anything the coaches do or don't do. The way these kids travel to camps and follow social media today, state loyalty doesn't play as big a role as it once did.

Reactions: Deeeefense
Unless you are a perennial powerhouse you are going to lose in-state talent for various reasons. Look at the state of Virginia and how much HS talent it puts out...to FSU, Bama, Clemson, Ohio State etc...VT might get one of the 4 stars if lucky. It's not just Kentucky or anything the coaches do or don't do. The way these kids travel to camps and follow social media today, state loyalty doesn't play as big a role as it once did.

Yep you are right, plus a history of losing is not the recipe for getting young instate players interested in our program. Football tradition has taken a beating in the past because of a lack of facilities, money, and thinking that football can't be like the basketball team. What they have done lately is a real step in the right direction but now you have to win.

You didn't say next year you said Sunday...one of these days you are going to get something right. Hang in there.

Didn't realize that, thanks, you have improved my life immensely. I didn't even realize the draft was this Sunday, and since no UK players will likely be in it I could care less. Now that you have pointed out the error of my ways I probably won't do that again-----until the next time.

Don't you have enough to do just pointing out all of Stoops mistakes? Pretty sure this mistake will make the headlines with you here though, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT