ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Pearl

I won’t go into any cheating allegations, but I will offer this- BP wouldn’t survive at a high profile program. Despite what you may see on your screen, he is a very, very diffocilt personality.

I‘ve always felt that he would be a diffocilt person to get along with.

Teams are fun to watch, like style team plays BUT I don't think he would be a good fit at UK.

If I'm Pearl I don't know If I would do the move from Auburn to Indiana as that seems like a lateral move. I think Indiana has lost its luster due to its recent streak of failures this century. He would probably move off of Auburn only if a blue blood or a second-tier school opened up.

Auburn to Indiana is not a lateral move....not even close in the basketball world. Indiana fans live and breathe IU, there is more history and Pearl would have a chance to make a positive mark for once.

Reactions: TheWyldKat
You clearly don't know the baggage with the current coach we have now LOL I mean he was literally considered one of the dirtiest in the game (whether it be true or not is a different story)
Its true with Bruce. No doubt.

B level coach? He seems like a pretty damn good coach. He has auburn relevant and they are by far not a basketball score. Hell they beat us in the elite eight the last time we were there. If he was at a big-time school I think he would win big.

I know he has baggage from previous recruiting violations. So there is that, but I don’t think he would need to do any shenanigans to get the top players at a big school like UK.
Previous?they are still doing it

Never been a fan of the sweat hog but Cal is grating on me worse than Pearl. He also plays a much more entertaining game. His teams attack on offense and defense, they don't lay back and let the other team set the pace.

IU is too stupid to hire Bruce...He would have them in the hunt quickly..(F4 in 3-5 years). I hope they continue to be stupid

People probably do enjoy Bruce Pearls style of coaching, his enthusiasm, and motivation for his players, but he is a known cheater and liar. Those two things will keep him from ever being considered to coach here.
They didn’t keep Cal from it. Whether he was guilty or not, just like Bruce the perception was there.

B level coach? He seems like a pretty damn good coach. He has auburn relevant and they are by far not a basketball score. Hell they beat us in the elite eight the last time we were there. If he was at a big-time school I think he would win big.

I know he has baggage from previous recruiting violations. So there is that, but I don’t think he would need to do any shenanigans to get the top players at a big school like UK.

Auburn has had a better team than us 3 of the last 4 seasons.

Auburn has had a better team than us 3 of the last 4 seasons.
This is blatantly not true. Kentucky won the SEC over them last year. While they lost to them in NCAA in 2019, I'd say Kentucky still had better overall team that year. Kentucky was definitely better in 2016-17, and only year Auburn may have been better is 2017-18, where they won a share of SEC crown.

This is blatantly not true. Kentucky won the SEC over them last year. While they lost to them in NCAA in 2019, I'd say Kentucky still had better overall team that year. Kentucky was definitely better in 2016-17, and only year Auburn may have been better is 2017-18, where they won a share of SEC crown.
Auburn won when it mattered in 2019. That's what veteran teams do.

UK fans would hate Beard's style of play. He plays Tubby ball. Tough defense and rebounding. Plodding, low scoring offense. Good coach. Boring offense.

Oats makes much more sense to replace Cal. He plays a wide open offense that depends on spreading the floor and values shooters and making the three point shot an integral part of the offense. Has the potential to be a great coach.
Exactly right. IMO, Oats would absolutely kill it at UK. I’m not sure to what level of recruiter he is, but anyone with a pulse should be able to bring good players here. Not sure what was wrong with Tubby. Everyone knows his recruiting was abysmal. BCG as well.

Should have specified I was counting this season. better than us this year. Better than us in 2019, better in 2018.

Auburn won when it mattered in 2019. That's what veteran teams do.
Meh. We got some pretty raw deal officiating in that game. Our bigs were man handled on the last couple plays of regulation. If Cal would’ve made an adjustment to stop the drives in the lane, that wouldn’t have mattered, though.

Should have specified I was counting this season. better than us this year. Better than us in 2019, better in 2018.
They weren't better in 2019. By the same token, Kentucky wasn't the better team in 2011 than Ohio St. despite beating them in the NCAA tournament.

I feel better about Kentucky being better than them at the end of this year too. Despite fans being in love with Bruce Pearl, bad defense for his teams often limit their postseason prospects.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Exactly right. IMO, Oats would absolutely kill it at UK. I’m not sure to what level of recruiter he is, but anyone with a pulse should be able to bring good players here. Not sure what was wrong with Tubby. Everyone knows his recruiting was abysmal. BCG as well.

Oats is definitely one to watch. The turnaround in two years at Alabama is amazing. If he continues on this upward trajectory he has to be on the short list. If he's not the greatest recruiter, then just pay for a big time assistant to help go get players for him. I couldn't imagine that many players wouldn't be extremely excited to play a style ball.

Meh. We got some pretty raw deal officiating in that game. Our bigs were man handled on the last couple plays of regulation. If Cal would’ve made an adjustment to stop the drives in the lane, that wouldn’t have mattered, though.
We lost because PJ couldn't hit free throws (again), Ashton turned it over 2,000 times and Auburn was more aggressive.
The refs jobbed us in 2017, we jobbed ourselves in '18 & '19.

Better than us in 2019? We beat them 2 out of 3, a 2 point win at Auburn and a 27 point win at home. They barely escaped in OT against us in the tourney when we played horrible and they played great. I don’t think they were better.

We lost because PJ couldn't hit free throws (again), Ashton turned it over 2,000 times and Auburn was more aggressive.
The refs jobbed us in 2017, we jobbed ourselves in '18 & '19.
I totally agree. Still, if we could even buy a whistle in the last few possessions, we win. That’s never gonna happen with Cal here. One of the biggest reasons I’m ready for a change.

We will have to be 20 points better than the field to win another title. It’s been proven time and time again.

I totally agree. Still, if we could even buy a whistle in the last few possessions, we win. That’s never gonna happen with Cal here. One of the biggest reasons I’m ready for a change.
It looked to me like we lost our legs and started reaching in OT.
Make free throws in regulation and don’t turn the ball over and we win easily.

Pearl would win huge at UK, make no mistake about it! What I didn't realize is that he is 60 years old, just one year younger than Cal. I think if and when Cal goes, if it's the next couple of years, it's gonna be the Texas Tech coach.
I hope you're wrong. Not interested.

I can tell you some of what was wrong with Tubby's recruiting and even with Beard's recruiting today. Kids do not like to play their style of basketball. Slow, plodding offense, and hard, in your jock defense.

Those two things combined turn a lot of talented kids away from a program.

I actually think it is also affecting Cal's recruiting since 2015. There is a reason he no longer gets the top skills players. A slug can rebound and play defense. Not everyone can score the basketball. Those who can want to shoot and score the dang ball. They hate a 50-48 game coaching style.

ADVERTISEMENT