ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Pearl

TheWyldKat

Senior
Mar 13, 2016
This is not a replace Coach Cal thread. Just have a general question. I enjoy Bruce Pearls style of coaching, his enthusiasm, and motivation for his players.

It’s exciting. He recruits fun players, and wherever he goes he's been successful. I am probably in the minority but if Coach Cal was not at Kentucky, I think Bruce Pearl would sit the world on fire at a place like this.

If I’m Indiana im Firing Archie, do the buyout, Hire Pearl, and get to the final four in a couple years.

If I'm Pearl I don't know If I would do the move from Auburn to Indiana as that seems like a lateral move. I think Indiana has lost its luster due to its recent streak of failures this century. He would probably move off of Auburn only if a blue blood or a second-tier school opened up.

Pearl is a classless clown and a B-level coach. I'm all for replacing Cal, but this would be like kicking a washed-up supermodel outta your bed and replacing her with Nancy Pelosi...ugh
B level coach? He seems like a pretty damn good coach. He has auburn relevant and they are by far not a basketball score. Hell they beat us in the elite eight the last time we were there. If he was at a big-time school I think he would win big.

I know he has baggage from previous recruiting violations. So there is that, but I don’t think he would need to do any shenanigans to get the top players at a big school like UK.

B level coach? He seems like a pretty damn good coach. He has auburn relevant and they are by far not a basketball score. Hell they beat us in the elite eight the last time we were there. If he was at a big-time school I think he would win big.

I know he has baggage from previous recruiting violations. So there is that, but I don’t think he would need to do any shenanigans to get the top players at a big school like UK.
Pearl would win huge at UK, make no mistake about it! What I didn't realize is that he is 60 years old, just one year younger than Cal. I think if and when Cal goes, if it's the next couple of years, it's gonna be the Texas Tech coach.

UK fans would hate Beard's style of play. He plays Tubby ball. Tough defense and rebounding. Plodding, low scoring offense. Good coach. Boring offense.

Oats makes much more sense to replace Cal. He plays a wide open offense that depends on spreading the floor and values shooters and making the three point shot an integral part of the offense. Has the potential to be a great coach.

People probably do enjoy Bruce Pearls style of coaching, his enthusiasm, and motivation for his players, but he is a known cheater and liar. Those two things will keep him from ever being considered to coach here.

You clearly don't know the baggage with the current coach we have now LOL I mean he was literally considered one of the dirtiest in the game (whether it be true or not is a different story)

Yea I do and that's why he wasn't the coach until the last 12 years, after BCG I guess hiring him was a high risk high reward in an effort to save the program and so far he has run a clean program. I have never been a big fan of his but accepted the fact that he was our coach whether I like it or not. He hasn't been named in any scandal yet, despite the fact that the two schools he coached at has. The NCAA has cleared him from any wrong doing. I have always said that either he is one step a head or he is doing it the right way, I think he has run a clean program while here.

Is you crazy?

When his wife compared his being held accountable for cheating (again) to the persecution and crucifixion of Jesus Christ.... well.... just no... no... no.

Last edited:
Pearl would win huge at UK, make no mistake about it! What I didn't realize is that he is 60 years old, just one year younger than Cal. I think if and when Cal goes, if it's the next couple of years, it's gonna be the Texas Tech coach.

I don't think he will leave Auburn mainly for that reason. Plus, he has enough black marks on his resume to keep most major high profile programs from really considering him. He's at a place that he can make relevant, be revered, and get all the support he needs to be competitive. And he's one NCAA issue away from probably never coaching in the sport again.

UK fans would hate Beard's style of play. He plays Tubby ball. Tough defense and rebounding. Plodding, low scoring offense. Good coach. Boring offense.

Oats makes much more sense to replace Cal. He plays a wide open offense that depends on spreading the floor and values shooters and making the three point shot an integral part of the offense. Has the potential to be a great coach.
Do you really think Barnhart cares that much about what kind of pace the team plays at? He will get the best coach he can at the time. I personally think Oates will be great, but I don't think he will have the resume to be hired at UK.

I won’t go into any cheating allegations, but I will offer this- BP wouldn’t survive at a high profile program. Despite what you may see on your screen, he is a very, very diffocilt personality.

Reactions: Ocornett
Bruce Pearl would be my choice. Yup, he has a couple of red marks on his resume, but anyone that says they didn't call Calipari a big fat slimy cheater prior to 09 is lying.
Bruce Pearl would win and win big here. I'm not looking for a choir boy to run the program, I'm looking for a guy that will keep UK on top of the college basketball world. He would easily put in the effort and his style would ignite Rupp Arena the way Pitino used to.
Nate Oates and Musselman would be good choices too.
Those guys wouldn’t be trying to feed the post to a kid that has no post moves when we are down 16 with 5 minutes left.
All these people that are negative at the thought of hiring Pearl, would be drinking his kool aid halfway through his first season here.
Sandy Bell would make sure BP walked a straight line, just like she's going with Cal.
Doesn’t matter, it won't happen, but that just means we're missing out.

Last edited:
Dang I didn’t realize pearl was that old. Thought he might’ve been 53 or 54. Yes you’re right. He would win big

I’m starting to think oats could possibly be a damn good catch for a program.

Reactions: jace2012
People probably do enjoy Bruce Pearls style of coaching, his enthusiasm, and motivation for his players, but he is a known cheater and liar. Those two things will keep him from ever being considered to coach here.
I don’t think issues with cheating and the NCAA would bother Kentucky. Coach Cal has those same issues and they hired him.

ADVERTISEMENT