ADVERTISEMENT

Browns strongly considering Mitch Trubisky No. 1 overall

Overemphasis on quarterbacks in the draft as opposed to your team's other glaring needs is what separates good franchises from trash ones.

Drafting a QB that needs time to develop into a situation with no talent and no time will never yield results. Never.

Overemphasis on quarterbacks in the draft as opposed to your team's other glaring needs is what separates good franchises from trash ones.

Drafting a QB that needs time to develop into a situation with no talent and no time will never yield results. Never.
Your right but the issue is if you don't have one your not winning anyway. A great qb can speed up the process. Brown's need to offer Bengals a 2nd rd pick for Mcarron.

Browns should trade out of the first round every year until they can build and adequate defense and a solid online with two pass catching options. I don't care who your QB is, he's gonna be on his ass a lot with no pass protection.
How many damn years does it take to realize that drafting a QB with nothing around him is not the answer?

Reactions: csrupp
I know Trubisky put up good #s at UNC, but wow. If you need a QB, how can you justify taking him over Deshaun Watson?
Don't know if taking a QB is right move or much about this particular guy, but it comes down to reading D's, quick decision making, & accuracy for the NFL. Running is quite secondary.

Reactions: Soupbean
Reactions: martycat1
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/03/browns_strongly_considering_ta.html

I know Trubisky put up good #s at UNC, but wow. If you need a QB, how can you justify taking him over Deshaun Watson?

Lots of questions about Watson's ability to throw all routes and ability to read defenses because of the type offense he ran in college. Its killing his WR because the only 2 routes the scouts say he can run is the back shoulder fade and go route, add that to his questionable speed and not going to run the 40 at the combine. He is a big physical receiver who created separation by pushing off and that will be called in the NFL. But Trubisky has questions too, pretty weak year for qbs.

As for the Browns selecting him over Watson, they also made Manzeil, a first round pick, so they have blew it before.

As a Titan fan, I like the move. In fact all Watson, Trubisky, Kizer are all franchise QBs that should go really high.....like top 5 high. The perfect scenario would be if one goes to the Browns, one to the Jaguars, and then one goes with the #5 pick. These QBs are money in the bank guys. Teams without a QB should make sure they get one before they're gone.

Reactions: UKCats24
The browns have 2 first round picks I believe, the first pick I would take Myles Garrett out of aTm and the second pick I would try to take the best offensive linemen on the board. Then in the later rounds pick up Jerod Evans out of Va Tech for my QB, I think he is the sleeper QB of this draft and has a lot of upside. But being the Browns they will probably take a QB #1 overall and then with their 2nd first round pick take a WR or a RB.

Last edited:
As much as I like Garrett, I would trade down a couple picks and go for Barnett out of Tennessee. I don't see a lot of separation between the two and they could get another late round pick.

I think GB needs to make an Ezekiel Elliot type move and trade up for Fournette. He is the top RB to come out in a while, IMO.

Would give GB their missing piece, in my completely worthless option as always.

A few thoughts
1 Although he will probably go higher DW is at best a late 2nd to mid 3rd round qb
2. I doubt green Bay has enough assets to move up into the top 5 to 7 picks to get LF although I hope something like that happens.
3.I am in complete agreement with allabouttheUK when ti comes to draft strategy.

RG3 and Max Kessler will suffice for another year if they can stay healthy, if not there is always a Fitzpatrick type of dude out there.

The play is to get some pieces in place for Sam Darnold. Take the A&M DE with the first pick, grab a top skill player at 12 (McCaffery, Fournette, Cook, Williams, or Ross) and grab the best available OL with their next pick later in the second.

RG3 and Max Kessler will suffice for another year if they can stay healthy, if not there is always a Fitzpatrick type of dude out there.

The play is to get some pieces in place for Sam Darnold. Take the A&M DE with the first pick, grab a top skill player at 12 (McCaffery, Fournette, Cook, Williams, or Ross) and grab the best available OL with their next pick later in the second.

I would agree with this. Keep trading down, collecting picks and surrounding cast.......then when the time is right sell the excess picks to find the QB you want. This makes far more sense than the typical, "let's take a QB because we don't have one" stance.

The only issue is as a GM or HC, will you be fired before you have a chance to coach the team you're building?

Reactions: allabouttheUK
I would agree with this. Keep trading down, collecting picks and surrounding cast.......then when the time is right sell the excess picks to find the QB you want. This makes far more sense than the typical, "let's take a QB because we don't have one" stance.

The only issue is as a GM or HC, will you be fired before you have a chance to coach the team you're building?

If done right which the Browns have never done, the staff could survive. When building that team make sure you're drafting guys that will last and not guys that don't pan out. The Browns struggle every damn draft and it makes no sense, hell even I can tell the difference between a legit NFL player and somebody who was just great in college.
The players the Browns have passed on in previous years would drive anyone insane.
So draft the strong and consistent not the damn star. Build a solid defense and a competent ground attack. That would save the staff until the QB of the future hits the draft board.

I really dislike the Browns but they also have a ton a ton of cap space, will be interesting to see if they ever get anything right.

I think GB needs to make an Ezekiel Elliot type move and trade up for Fournette. He is the top RB to come out in a while, IMO.

Would give GB their missing piece, in my completely worthless option as always.
Packers may wind up with Adrian Peterson after Minny cut him loose.

Browns need tons of help. Would be incredibly stupid to waste a top overall on a marginal qb when no qb can excel with what they have now.

Trade down. Accumulate picks.
They already have a ton of picks, including the 1st and 12th overall this year. Between this year and next they have 14 picks in the 1st 4 rounds of the next 2 drafts.

They just signed 3 OL yesterday. They also have a ton of money for FAs.

...and that's exactly what Cleveland did to Tim Couch. They had absolutely zero talent around him, then claim he was a bust. Couch could have been a long-term qb in the NFL had he been drafted by a real team.

They already have a ton of picks, including the 1st and 12th overall this year. Between this year and next they have 14 picks in the 1st 4 rounds of the next 2 drafts.

I made that post before the trade. They made the right move. They need tons of help

Cleveland traded for the quarterback that houston signed last year after playing behind Payton Manning the year befor.

They are more than likely going to cut Brock Osweiler, which means they are paying $17 million for the Texans 6th round pick this year and the Texans 2nd round pick next year and they loose a 4th round pick this year. Which is a horrible trade, but they have a ton of cap space and NO ONE wants to sign with them.

They are more than likely going to cut Brock Osweiler, which means they are paying $17 million for the Texans 6th round pick this year and the Texans 2nd round pick next year and they loose a 4th round pick this year. Which is a horrible trade, but they have a ton of cap space and NO ONE wants to sign with them.

Yep it was a great move. Now they need to change their well deserved reputation so they can attract talent with all the money they'll have. All while trying to avoid seriously overpaying

They won't release Osweiller, he will be traded. They have plenty of leverage and options at this point. First time in years I'm actually looking forward to seeing what the Browns do in the draft. Hell free-agency has been good so far. Seems like someone in the front office agrees with my philosophy, finally!

I made that post before the trade. They made the right move. They need tons of help
Even before the trade they had 14 picks in the 1st 4 rounds the next 2 years. The only thing that changed is one of those picks went from a 4th rder to a 2nd rder.

Had to spend a lot of that money just to get to the cap floor.

Even before the trade they had 14 picks in the 1st 4 rounds the next 2 years. The only thing that changed is one of those picks went from a 4th rder to a 2nd rder.

And they need every one of them. They need tons of help. And free agents avoid them like the plague. So anyone they actually sign theyll probably overpay for

If they draft well the next 2 years, they should be an average or better NFL team. Should be a huge influx of cheap talent. Problem is, they tend to draft terribly.

This is a bad QB crop. Go w a journeyman this year and draft a QB next year.

If they draft well the next 2 years, they should be an average or better NFL team. Should be a huge influx of cheap talent. Problem is, they tend to draft terribly.

This is a bad QB crop. Go w a journeyman this year and draft a QB next year.

They also have to worry about turnover. They could draft fairly well but if they fire their GM and coaching staff every 2 yrs the talent won't matter as much.

ADVERTISEMENT