ADVERTISEMENT

Brooks officially signs with UK

I like guys that know how to play. He's a basketball player. Filled a handful of different roles for La Lumiere. They put him in the post, facilitating the offense, on the wing, at the point of the press, just about everywhere. He's a team guy. Winner. .

I like guys that know how to play. He's a basketball player. Filled a handful of different roles for La Lumiere. They put him in the post, facilitating the offense, on the wing, at the point of the press, just about everywhere. He's a team guy. Winner. .
The "Knows how to play" factor is so undervalued, especially when you're relying on freshmen - See SGA. We just watched a team last year that did well but would have been at another level if Johnson had a little more time to learn how to play which he eventually will. He has all the skills but lacked the sixth sense, court awareness, space awareness, when to attack when to pull, how to drive and kick etc. If you get one that comes in with that you've got something.

Much stronger and more physical than Miller but not as good a shooter.
I would definitely agree with that statement when Miller was a freshman. But Miller got jacked by his senior season and when he wasn’t being hesitant could and did posterize some guys.

Brooks is going to be a good one though. Very excited to see him play.

Much stronger and more physical than Miller but not as good a shooter.
Miller didn’t become that good of a shooter until his Junior/Senior years. Brooks is a more confident spot up shooter at this stage in his career but his ball handling is horrendous right now.

Anyone who watched his 3 games on TV a couple weeks ago knows he got stripped nearly everytime he put the ball on the floor.

Good shooter, good rebounder, and plays hard. I’m excited to have him.

Reactions: kl40504
Good things typically happen when your 4th or 5th option is a kid like Brooks.

I love how the wing forward levee has opened up somewhat since we locked up Knox. Since then: Johnson, Whitney, Allen, Brooks.

I hope we add Jalen Johnson to that list.

I was just thinking yesterday about how for the first several years of Cal's tenure, he seemed to miss on true small forward types aside from MKG. We had Miller there already for the first couple of years, but then after MKG left we were playing either 3 guards or two power forwards (Goodwin, Young, Poythress/Lyles, Briscoe). Now we seem to be doing really well at getting those guys but aren't doing as well at getting top centers.

I don’t follow recruiting that closely, and mostly rely on posters here and watching some videos.

It’s nothing more than a feeling, but I expect Maxey, Whitney, and Brooks to be much more explosive than Herro and KJ. And more versatile. It wasn’t like KJ and Herro were good perimeter shooters.

I also think the Cats may be able to switch everything on D which is a huge advantage.

Reactions: ganner918
I don’t follow recruiting that closely, and mostly rely on posters here and watching some videos.

It’s nothing more than a feeling, but I expect Maxey, Whitney, and Brooks to be much more explosive than Herro and KJ. And more versatile. It wasn’t like KJ and Herro were good perimeter shooters.

I also think the Cats may be able to switch everything on D which is a huge advantage.

I'm definitely interested in lineups like Hagans, Maxey, Whitney, Brooks, Montgomery. Versatile, long, explosive. Could be a defensive nightmare and a team that can get out and run like crazy.

He didn't hunt shots either. Played within the offense. Like you said. Team guy.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
PG: hagans / quickley
SG: maxey
SF: whitney / brooks / allen
PF: EJ
C: richards / sestina

if cal can find a way to land blackshear....every coach in the D1 would gladly trade rosters.

Reactions: ORCAT and kl40504
Yay! I'm so happy to see him play his single season or two of college basketball here at UK.

Last edited:
Yay! I'm so happy to see him play his single season or two of college basketball year at UK.

yes because watching 2 and 3 star guys sit the bench for 3 years then play is soooooo rewarding.

its not the 1950s anymore. everything else has changed. you can too or be miserable. its not changing back. choice is yours...be we know what you will pick.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
ADVERTISEMENT