ADVERTISEMENT

Briscoe's Mouth Piece?

I suppose that it is PC wrong to take note when a certain type of player has his mouth guard dangling out of his gums for 20 minutes during live televised action? Serious inquiry. What is the correct guidance here? The viewer is supposed to not notice? (only acceptable response - we are all out of line). The viewer may notice, but be but completely tolerant regardless of the fact that it looks incredibly stupid? or (this is me, btw) The viewer notices over and over and says to himself: WTF is going to happen when Briscoe tries to play a game of dangling mouth guard in front of Doug Shows?

I suppose that it is PC wrong to take note when a certain type of player has his mouth guard dangling out of his gums for 20 minutes during live televised action? Serious inquiry. What is the correct guidance here? The viewer is supposed to not notice? (only acceptable response - we are all out of line). The viewer may notice, but be but completely tolerant regardless of the fact that it looks incredibly stupid? or (this is me, btw) The viewer notices over and over and says to himself: WTF is going to happen when Briscoe tries to play a game of dangling mouth guard in front of Doug Shows?

Why do we have to be the guidance police? Why so angry over a freakin mouth piece?

Reactions: danocat44
A little off topic, but does anyone else thinks he "looks" like his is in his late twenties?

Who is being PC? Some posters are making fun of the mouth guard, and other posters are making fun of the other posters for being sticks in the mud.

PCness involves trying to tell people what they are allowed to think and say, and many of those people want to have it written into legislature.

Big difference between that and people just openly disagreeing with you.

Why do we have to be the guidance police? Why so angry over a freakin mouth piece?

my word, who said the first thing about anger? Not sure how you got that. Once again, I find it easy to tell a poster that has never have read a decent book in his/her life.

Who is being PC? Some posters are making fun of the mouth guard, and other posters are making fun of the other posters for being sticks in the mud.

PCness involves trying to tell people what they are allowed to think and say, and many of those people want to have it written into legislature.

Big difference between that and people just openly disagreeing with you.

If any Chane Behanan (or whatever his name was) played a game of basketball against us with his mouth piece hanging out of his mouth Rafters would have been lit up with posters talking about how stupid he was for doing it, how stupid Pitino was for letting one of his players do it. You know it.

If any Chane Behanan (or whatever his name was) played a game of basketball against us with his mouth piece hanging out of his mouth Rafters would have been lit up with posters talking about how stupid he was for doing it, how stupid Pitino was for letting one of his players do it. You know it.

If he can play like an All-American, he can wear a flipping tutu for all I care. Personally, I thought it was funny.

Why do you care what others think. Do you, and when someone disagrees with you let it roll off your back like I will do to you if you respond to this [banana]

Probably, but that's a different phenomenon than being PC. If it was about PC, then the PC crowd would be afraid to mention it at all, for any player, regardless of team affiliation.

But the fact that many posters would pick on something that they do but would let our own guys off is not unique to this phenomenon. This board would've have hammered Dodson for smoking and T Jones for walking away from a crash and the Anthony Davis butt-slapping video way, way harder if they were Louisville guys.

Thankfully, they do so much genuinely ridiculous stuff like whores in dorm rooms and sex in restaurants and beating old men up over hairbrushes that we don't need to stretch little things as much to make fun of them. But even if they were able to defy their Louisville destiny by keeping their noses relatively clean, UK fans would find little trivial stuff like this to give them a hard time about.

You're not unearthing Atlantis here. This is how fanbases operate.

Last edited:
Wtf does that have to do with anything. You were poking fun at other posters for not comprehending the thread. Now you are doing the same. Only on RR

Have you noticed it sticks out of the right side of his mouth? Just disgusting, hanging out of the right side like that.

Now if it was out the left side, that'd be ok.

Never could tolerate them darn right side mouthpiecers

I hate the long shorts. Looks ridiculous. Short shorts were good enough for John Stockton but it's this Michael Jordan and hippity-hop music that made them long. Skirts are for girls. I'll hang up and listen, Zeke from Monkey's Eyebrow

Wtf does that have to do with anything. You were poking fun at other posters for not comprehending the thread. Now you are doing the same. Only on RR
Seen a couple of guys already this year doing the mouthpiece, thinking they are the next Stephen Curry. Gotta a ways to go. :)

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
The mouthpiece should be in the mouth so when you take a shot to the mouth with an elbow, you won't lose so many teeth. If I were a coach, I would want my players to keep it in the mouth.

Specifically, what I was cynically replying to was JKWO's assertion that the mouthpiece should not have been noticed by viewers any more than how Briscoe had chosen to groom his nails (which would imply by JKWO other personal grooming selections made by Briscoe, such as how he may have chosen to do his hair or goatee). JKWO seemed to be saying, if you are noticing Briscoe's dangling mouthpiece then what else is it about him that you are really noticing? Did he go the PC route before me? I don't know. I went to find out. Hate me.

Specifically, what I was cynically replying to was JKWO's assertion that the mouthpiece should not have been noticed by viewers any more than how Briscoe had chosen to groom his nails (which would imply by JKWO other personal grooming selections made by Briscoe, such as how he may have chosen to do his hair or goatee). JKWO seemed to be saying, if you are noticing Briscoe's dangling mouthpiece then what else is it about him that you are really noticing? Did he go the PC route before me? I don't know. I went to find out. Hate me.
You guessed wrong.

You guessed wrong.

Good. Happy to know it. A dook fan asked me about Briscoe's mouthpiece the next day. "What's the deal with Briscoe's mouthpiece flopping out of his face during the game?"

What about it?

He went on: "I don't know, just seems to me the sort of player that runs all over the court with his mouthpiece hanging out is probably the sort of kid that runs all over town with his britches below his butt."

as he walked away I felt stupid after I hollered what was the final score, jackass?!!

He went on: "I don't know, just seems to me the sort of player that runs all over the court with his mouthpiece hanging out is probably the sort of kid that runs all over town with his britches below his butt."
Except he doesn't, so whatever some random Duke fan said is completely irrelevant. Besides, even if he did who friggin cares? He's allowed to dress how he wants to dress. Just because you don't dress that way or care for that style, means absolutely nothing. Stop trying to put him in a box that you view as correct, because correct to you is completely wrong to others.

Reactions: hoodro
Except he doesn't, so whatever some random Duke fan said is completely irrelevant. Besides, even if he did who friggin cares? He's allowed to dress how he wants to dress. Just because you don't dress that way or care for that style, means absolutely nothing. Stop trying to put him in a box that you view as correct, because correct to you is completely wrong to others.

Mostly a fair reply, except that I am not trying to say anything about Briscoe personally (although a dangling mouth guard does look dysfunctional and not very sharp). Rather, I will convey the result (story of some random dook fan's "box" - yes, I do care about how our program's image is received by other programs - how our players present themselves has everything to do with that) or the potential result (such as when some dickhead like Doug Shows has the opportunity to be annoyed by it). Also, I willingly challenge the notion that it should be no more significant to the viewer than a pinky nail. Lastly (you missed this part badly) it wasn't me that was being judgmental of persons who choose to wear the pants below their underwear. It was the dook fan. I offer no opinion of my own on the matter.

Good. Happy to know it. A dook fan asked me about Briscoe's mouthpiece the next day. "What's the deal with Briscoe's mouthpiece flopping out of his face during the game?"

What about it?

as he walked away I felt stupid after I hollered what was the final score, jackass?!!
Yeah. Let me put it this way.

The PC goobers excuse anything that certain people do wrong, period, because of their race.

The distinction is that I could not possibly muster up the slightest damn about a player's clothes, his mouthguard, having tattoos, having piercings, wearing a headband, wearing a hat or a shirt the wrong way, etc - I care if he's a good kid who treats people well, and contributes to our team.

I see guys like Isaiah, Demarcus and Willie, going back a little Liggins and Ramel, and you had a bunch of guys who mean mugged, ran their mouths, had tattoos, wore headbands, and you know what? They probably did have their boxers showing sometimes. It's a childish way to wear your clothes, sure, but boys grow into men and they grow out of it.

...but the other thing about all those guys is that they were killer players, and when you saw any of them with fans or kids, they were complete gentlemen, big smiles on their faces, none of them have done anything to embarrass us off the court - fantastic representatives of the university. Cal's guys in general have been way above average in that respect.
And they attracted the ladies the natural way instead of having hookers in their dorm rooms.

If you told me that saggy pants and loose mouthguards would be the worst thing we have to worry about as Cal averages a Final Four every season, even when he's having to corral a new class of youngsters every season, I'd ask where can I sign up.

That's where I'm coming from.

check out this video from kentucky's youth camp yesterday. looks like briscoe's mouth peice antics are catching on with the next generation of players. this could end up being the equivalent of michican's black socks, long shorts, which all but ruined the game. god help us.

Did anyone else notice how unevenly he clipped the nail on his right pinky finger? I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, but he might as well be taking a whizz right on Rupp's grave.
This is actually important as any slight discomfort at all from the clipping can magnify shooting woes.

ADVERTISEMENT