ADVERTISEMENT

Briscoe and Hump Question

kentuckykowboy8

Blue Chip Prospect
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2009
Ft Worth, TX
This is an honest to goodness question. I'm not trying start an argument about the playing abilities of either player...

Neither Briscoe nor Humphries looks to be drafted. What could a player of their caliber honestly expect to make in the D league or overseas? (I'm assuming that's their only option)

Call me crazy, but I would rather be treated like a king as a junior at Kentucky with all my living expenses paid than play in empty arenas making 50k. In all reality, playing for UK will be the pinnacle of their careers. Why would you not choose to extend that pinnacle a little longer? Instead they will go into basketball obscurity.

Maybe neither really likes school, maybe they need money now(family), or just maybe they want to get the next phase of their life started(pro career).

I think Hump has a chance to find a spot on a roster in the NBA. He is a 7 footer with a pretty decent face up game and he could develop into a good rebounder. His chances are better than Briscoe's but there is money to be made overseas so they have that to fall back on.

Reactions: UKvisitor
This is an honest to goodness question. I'm not trying start an argument about the playing abilities of either player...

Neither Briscoe nor Humphries looks to be drafted. What could a player of their caliber honestly expect to make in the D league or overseas? (I'm assuming that's their only option)

Call me crazy, but I would rather be treated like a king as a junior at Kentucky with all my living expenses paid than play in empty arenas making 50k. In all reality, playing for UK will be the pinnacle of their careers. Why would you not choose to extend that pinnacle a little longer? Instead they will go into basketball obscurity.

here is what i dont get. in no other area of life would anyone consider for a second doing something for free when you can get paid for it. but yet in college sports some consider it the better option.

and lest be real...the treated like the king stuff will last until briscoe steps on the baseline and then gets crushed by fans who want him benched. like most of last year.

Reactions: awf and csrupp
Anywhere outside the NBA they're looking at 6 figures. I would have loved to leave college after 2 years and make 6 figs. Especially playing a sport I love.

Over seas they'd both make well over 6 figures. Much less if they go to the D League hoping to be called up at some point.

I agree. It all depends on the player, but a guy like Briscoe is leaving a lot on the table for little reason. Briscoe isn't going to make much more money by leaving a few years early. When you add in his age, I bet his first few years of earnings go out the window anyway.

Playing at UK can do a lot for you in terms of relationships and access if you play your hand right. Also the degree is nearly given to college athletes at this level. Going back to college is never easy. Finish while you're young for extra safety. Free tutors, easy access, and strict academic policies make it nearly impossible for these guys to fail.

Guys like AD, I get it. Guys like Briscoe will more than likely regret leaving that soon.

I think Hump has a chance to find a spot on a roster in the NBA. He is a 7 footer with a pretty decent face up game and he could develop into a good rebounder. His chances are better than Briscoe's but there is money to be made overseas so they have that to fall back on.

I agree with you. After hearing about his workouts, I think that he has a legitimate chance to sneak into the 2nd round of the draft. With all the foreign prospects that these teams stash in the second round, Humphries has just as good a shot to be a solid contributor as anybody.

Any negative commenters on Hump might want to do the research on what was said right here on this forum about Jorts just before the draft. It is almost an echo.

Reactions: awf

D league top players make $60k annually but the role players make $30k. Not sure aviut iversead but I would think there is lots of oktential to make 6 figure salary if you are top player.

I agree with you. After hearing about his workouts, I think that he has a legitimate chance to sneak into the 2nd round of the draft. With all the foreign prospects that these teams stash in the second round, Humphries has just as good a shot to be a solid contributor as anybody.
In addition Hump(should he play in Australia) wouldn't be going overseas he would be going home.He is "overseas" now

Reactions: musrat59
For starters, I don't think Briscoe truly loved his experience here...one of the few players to have some negative spin on Cal/UK.

Humphries - he's going to play back home, probably best for him.

I understand your question...but think it's complete BS to project what YOU would do on someone else and then question their reasoning. Everyone has their own reasons for decisions, just don't get why people feel the need to question/second-guess it.

For starters, I don't think Briscoe truly loved his experience here...one of the few players to have some negative spin on Cal/UK.

Humphries - he's going to play back home, probably best for him.

I understand your question...but think it's complete BS to project what YOU would do on someone else and then question their reasoning. Everyone has their own reasons for decisions, just don't get why people feel the need to question/second-guess it.
I agree that it seems that Briscoe didn't really seem enjoy his time here.Everyone has a different frame of reference and I think the OP was trying to make a case for both sides of the question for players in the position of Briscoe and Hump

Briscoe can make much more than 50k over seas. Not every player coming through here grew up a UK fan. Therefore they don't care about staying here 4 years when they can make money playing somewhere else.

Anything can happen, but I'll almost be shocked to see Humphries make NBA roster. I'm sure he will make good money somewhere however.

Any negative commenters on Hump might want to do the research on what was said right here on this forum about Jorts just before the draft. It is almost an echo.

^ Could be why they are posting on here instead of working as a scout for the NBA.

I could be wrong, but I don't think D-league even make 50K, I thought it was closer to 30-40K. That will pay the bills, but that's it. I think they can make more overseas, I don't know how much more, but I'm guessing 6-figures. But that may be a longer path to their ultimate goal (NBA).

Sure it is the fantasy of every UK fan to play in Rupp in front of 24K fans. That is not the fantasy of most 20 yr olds not growing up in KY. They dream of playing in the NBA. Now if playing at UK helps them reach that goal, then (the smart ones) they are all-in on playing for UK. But the part that could be a factor (I think it was for Briscoe) is that to play at UK (unlike at UNC) you have to go to classes and write papers and take tests and maintain your GPA. And some kids have NO interest in the academic side of college sports. That's ok, it's not for everyone.

Would I have liked to have had Humphries & Briscoe back next year? Yes!
Do I begrudge them? No.
Briscoe is what he is. He's a good player, who won't ever be great, but he probably only has one area that he likely can improve in and that is shooting. A pretty big area! His shot looks very mechanical & stiff. Maybe he thinks the time he had to use in going to classes and studying, he can instead use that time working on his shot. He can defend, he can get to the hole, and even without a huge vertical he can finish, he can handle the ball pass it, he can even get some rebounds. Just become an adequate shooter, and he can probably make an NBA roster. I see him very much like Andrew Harrison.
Humphries just isn't the style of player that plays a lot for Cal. I think it is because he lacks quickness and isn't a good defender. But he is 7'1, he rebounds well, and he can make jumpers. He's not super slow. He's also young enough that teams will think they can mold him (at his age Will Purdue, who had a long NBA career, was even less productive than Hump playing at mediocre Vandy). I really can see a playoff team with not much roster room drafting him and stashing him in the D-league hoping in 2-3 years they have a productive backup 7'1 Center. 6'8 & under athletes are a-dime-a-dozen.

ADVERTISEMENT