ADVERTISEMENT

Bring in this grad transfer QB

HalHR2500

Junior
Jan 28, 2002
Played at UCF and he put up big numbers before knee injury and lost his job he should be a full go come August

Mackenzie Milton

Allen and Gatewood ain’t the answer folks

I was watching the game in which he had such a horrific injury. Amazing that he can even walk as he had to have emergency repair of popliteal artery which if not successful would have resulted in amputation. He was a top prospect prior to that injury and team was undefeated and in top ten . And yes if recovered he would be a huge get for our program

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Allen does not have the arm strength and size required for a pocket passer and Gatewood is a stiff straight up runner and erratic arm

These kids will struggle with Gran or without Gran

Allen does not have the arm strength and size required for a pocket passer and Gatewood is a stiff straight up runner and erratic arm

These kids will struggle with Gran or without Gran
I really don’t know about Gatewood at this point. But, ever heard of Dusty Bonner? He was far less talented in every regard than Allen and didn’t come to UK anywhere near as highly rated and was a very good QB for a season at UK.

There comes a point when no QB has been worth a damn for 8+ years under Stoops that you have to stop blaming the talent and start looking at the scheme, player dev and coaches. Either that, or Stoops is literally the most unlucky coach in the history of CFB at finding QB talent that just isn’t as good as it was rated coming out of high school.

Last edited:
The Allen lack of arm strength is a bunch of bs. His throw to the left sideline in the Vandy game was a rope into a tight window. The fly pattern down the right sideline was just a bad pass from a guy just put in the game. He threw bombs on the money all day long in high school to guys in stride.
He might not have an absolute cannon like John Elway or Aaron Rogers but most successful QBs don’t either.
He is also 6’2” and 207 pounds which is not short and frail for a college QB.

When I read that the kid was transferring, I thought to myself, maybe he is somebody that MJ was referring to as far as getting transfers at a position of need. I mean it is POSSIBLE, Gatewood transferred here. It would not be the biggest shock if he did. Not saying he is, but you never know. Stranger things have happened. No negative responses needed, they will be ignored. I am tired of reading all of the negative BS on here. It is so mood killing and I am not letting a bunch of negative A-Holes ruin my vibe.

Reactions: jauk11
The OP sounds like the basketball board every spring/summer and how incoming players are going to be much better than the outgoing/existing players.

Some people will always overhype players new players, or ones we don't have.

No disrespect to the OP, but I'm not buying that philosophy. We need to continue recruiting good depth at QB. Fans need to realize some good QB talent will transfer. We at least new good QB talent spaced 2 years apart.

Gatewood and Allen have not had much of a chance, fumbles and being behind don't give any back up QB's much of a chance, Stoops said there will be some changes and there will be.

Played at UCF and he put up big numbers before knee injury and lost his job he should be a full go come August

Mackenzie Milton

We don't really know if they are the answer yet. They've played sparingly and when doing so they were put in no win situations. Tim Couch looked awful when he played for Uzelac. I'd go as far as saying Uzelac's offense was way more wide open than Stoops.

Again the problem here is that Stoops allows his offensive Coordinators to call plays that Stoops feels comfortable with. He doesn't call plays that his QBs feel comfortable with. For example if you have a QB that throws a great deep ball and great intermediate routes, but can't throw screen passes very well. And you pair him with Stoops that fears TOs that come from deep balls but feels comfortable with screen passes. Well what you will end up with is a QB that looks like he doesn't belong on the field. However that QB might be All American if he transferred somewhere else. I have a feeling that's what we are seeing with Terry Wilson. In a wide open style game Terry looks good. Put him in a game manager role and he sucks. Bottom line is that Terry doesn't throw the screen passes very well. I suspect this is also true of Gatewood.

Mackenzie Milton

And some guy with a leg and a half is? Why don’t we just go down to Long John Silver and see about getting him to walk on too. He can use his peg leg to steady himself on the rollout. Come on man. Stop it

Have not seen one post in this thread telling me why Gatewood and Allen will succeed, what do you see that makes you go wow this kid has talent to shine in SEC

Stoops maybe is the reason they are asked to be game managers

QB isn't our main problem. We did fine without one last year. I guess people forget that.

Have not seen one post in this thread telling me why Gatewood and Allen will succeed, what do you see that makes you go wow this kid has talent to shine in SEC

Stoops maybe is the reason they are asked to be game managers
And you haven’t seen any evidence that suggests that they won’t. See how that works. That’s like your boss sayin “oh damn he’s been here for a month and he still isn’t an expert on everything that we do, time to find somebody else”.

I have not seen much from Gatewood that excites me. He looks like a kid with good size that used it to his advantage in high school. That is much harder in college to accomplish and his passing has never been his advantage. Allen to me just looks inexperienced. I can see him going either way.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Milton would have to be a complete moron to sign up for this dumpster fire offense. We know the kid is good. We know this. But I guarantee if he came here in this exact offense he wouldn’t look much better than what we currently have. Until big changes are made to this scheme, it doesn’t matter who’s under center.

You geniuses saying Allen is a bust already, let me introduce you to Kyle Trask. Rated over 2,000 coming out of high school and now neck and neck to win the heisman trophy. So much for crystal balls.
I personally think Allen can ge good. Trash was low ranked because he was a backup at his high school. He didn't start a game. His first start was the game after he beat us last year. I believe in HS he backed up D'Eriq King

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
I personally think Allen can ge good. Trash was low ranked because he was a backup at his high school. He didn't start a game. His first start was the game after he beat us last year. I believe in HS he backed up D'Eriq King
I think Gatewood and Allen will be good. You are only as good as the plays that get called for you. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but didn’t Tim Couch and Andre Woodson have total control and could change plays at the LOS?

Look at Jones and Trask, both are not speedsters but both can put the ball where they want it, that is something we haven't had lately. We didn't see enough of Gatewood or Allen to assume anything, we didn't have but one WR that could catch the ball consistently . We did try to stretch the field or go over the middle much the whole season. I don't know if it was the scheme or no confidence in our QB's or WR's but other teams passed the ball all over the field on us. If Hinshaw was supposed to be a good QB coach his coaching here left something to be desired. I just don't think we had the personnel to run that kind of passing attack. I don't think Gran should have gotten the axe.

With a new OC I can easily see a grad transfer QB come in.

ADVERTISEMENT