ADVERTISEMENT

Bret Bearup Dies

I was in high school when he played and he was one of my favorites. Those teams are cherished memories of mine from decades ago. RIP Bret, you will be missed.

Reactions: ala_kat2
Interacted with him on here in the past. Made a copy of UK vs Indiana Mid-East regional game for him which was one of his better performances.

Prayers to his family.

I remember posting with / to him on here -- many boards ago.

So sad to read this. 56 is way too young for anyone to pass.

I remember that as well. Horrible news and hard to believe. Just came on the board to see this thread up and it is very sad news. Way too young yet! Prayers to family.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.du...mer-uk-big-man-bret-bearup-has-passed-just-56
RIP big guy. Thought about signing with Duke over UK? Never knew that.
With the death of Bret Bearup, it got me to thinking about how many other ex UK players since I started following UK basketball has passed on. It's so sad. I'm thinking about these guys. May they all Rest In Peace....... I started following UK in 1969.

Mike Casey
Jim Dinwiddie
Mike Phillips
Bob Fowler
Mel Turpin
Bret Bearup

UK did indeed beat Duke in the recruitment of Bret Bearup. UK played Duke in a game to start the 1979-80 season. A game in which Bearup attended. A game that UK won. A few hours after the game Bearup committed to Kentucky. You might say that we beat Duke twice in the same day.

With the death of Bret Bearup, it got me to thinking about how many other ex UK players since I started following UK basketball has passed on. It's so sad. I'm thinking about these guys. May they all Rest In Peace....... I started following UK in 1969.

Mike Casey
Jim Dinwiddie
Mike Phillips
Bob Fowler
Mel Turpin
Bret Bearup

UK did indeed beat Duke in the recruitment of Bret Bearup. UK played Duke in a game to start the 1979-80 season. A game in which Bearup attended. A game that UK won. A few hours after the game Bearup committed to Kentucky. You might say that we beat Duke twice in the same day.
I don’t think we won that game.

Mike Casey
Jim Dinwiddie
Mike Phillips
Bob Fowler
Mel Turpin
Bret Bearup

UK lost that game in OT. Then lost to Duke again that season, at Rupp, in the Sweet 16.

Which actually wasn't particularly noteworthy at the time, Duke didn't really become "Duke" until 86, and any sense of them being a rival didn't happen until 92

Damn, I hate to hear that. He didn't do so well here, but he made himself a millionaire later in life. RIP BearCat.

I read that he was found dead in his bed with a book and still had his glasses on. His ex-wife said he died from a massive coronary. If that is the case he died without any pain because it happened so fast. My brother died the same way at age 45 and the coroner told me in those situations it is sudden and without any pain.RIP Bret and my loving brother Ronnie. He died in 1998.

This death is the 3rd 50 something year old I've known to have died, all in similar ways this year. Aside from their age, all 3 had recently lost 50-60 lbs and found dead at home. All gone too soon.

I don’t think we won that game.
You're right, we did lose that game. I don't know what I was thinking. I do remember it being Sam Bowie's 1st college game & him having 22 points & 17 rebounds. And totally out playing Duke senior big man Mike Gminski.

Reactions: Rush2112 UK
Marvin Stone. John Stewart. Ed Davender, to name three more.
Add Mike Phillips and Charles Hurt.
If you take the UK players that played here after 1969 that has passed on... Mike Casey, Jim Dinwiddie, Mike Phillips, Bob Fowler, Mel Turpin, Charles Hurt, Bret Bearup, Ed Davender, John Stewart, & Marvin Stone. You would be talking about one heck of a team. Put them all on one team together & we would be talking about a strong national contender.

Sucks

He hasn’t been here since 2015. Maybe he had been more over on Rainman’s site? Where are all those people now?

If you take the UK players that played here after 1969 that has passed on... Mike Casey, Jim Dinwiddie, Mike Phillips, Bob Fowler, Mel Turpin, Charles Hurt, Bret Bearup, Ed Davender, John Stewart, & Marvin Stone. You would be talking about one heck of a team. Put them all on one team together & we would be talking about a strong national contender.

....Don't forget Junior Braddy.

Not that I was aware of. Rick Robey did.

This is a shock for me this morning and like all of BBN I wish his family peace and comfort as they go through this difficult time. RIP., big guy.
you are correct

ADVERTISEMENT