ADVERTISEMENT

Bret Bearup Dies

Very sorry to hear. Way too young.

First UK game I ever attended was his Senior Night.

Last edited:
I remember seeing him post on the early boards also. He had some good info back then.. Rest in Peace my fellow UK friend..

GBB

I went out with Brettt and Dan Wetzel one night..... crazy fun. Terrible news.

Sick to hear this news. A good guy who was good to me when I was a kid in the 80s. Prayers to his family

bret_bearup2.jpg
A member of the Big Blue family passes away way too young. A super human being that will definitely be missed and remembered.

RIP B.B.
5ZXJyuL6_400x400.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rush2112 UK
Yes, adding to the comments. Loved when he would post, not many former players do that. Makes me realize how quickly time passes because I remember all the hype when he signed.

Reactions: ORCAT
Remember he used to post a lot before on old site. He was very high on Ramel Bradley.

So sad to hear this. God bless him and his family

Funny, funny guy. I'll never forget sitting with him while I announced UK baseball games in the first "Cliff" press box and the stories he would tell about some of the current UK players and former high school players he grew up with. Loved the NY Yankees, too...

Reactions: Rush2112 UK
I remember when Hall landed him; it was a huge get at the time. Bearup was one of the top 5 players in the class of '80. He redshirted during the 81-82 season, though I can't recall why.

I met him once, during the era of video arcades. I was playing "Defender" down at the Kentucky Arcade, which was in the little strip center at the corner of Euclid and Rose. This was during his redshirt season; he came in, and stood watching as I played. We talked about the game; he was asking for tips. Super cool guy, and I could tell he was intelligent and engaging. We hung out for maybe an hour or so. I don't remember talking about basketball, but I probably said something.

He's my age, class of '80. Makes you think. RIP, Bret.

Reactions: LeOtis Merriweather
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT