ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Ingram well on his way to being another Duke NBA bust

~Keyser Soze~

All-American
Jan 14, 2003
After stinking it up his rookie season on one of the worst teams in the NBA, Ingram has played even worse this preseason. Dude is shooting 8-30 from the field and has only 2 assists in 3 games.

This is the guy that had so much BS Duke hype around him that the Lakers called him untradeable, and wouldn't give him up for Demarcus Cousins. These recruits and NBA teams will never learn.

Still very early. But I did make the mistake of drafting him in my Yahoo Fantasy Basketball League last year, thinking he was going to give me a top50 player like KAT did the year prior.

He may bust. Not sure his assists are how we should judge him though.

And at the same time, is this yet ANOTHER example of a Duke player being protected in Coach K's Skulls-esque circle, and then sucking when they are on their own in the NBA? And how many Kentucky players went on to shine brighter in the NBA than they did here at Kentucky, for the exact opposite?

It's just example after example after example of the type of treatment Duke gets.

Again - too early to say - but I kind of think this COULD speak to what many on here have talked about - the Duke effect. At Duke they are coddled and protected from real officiating and competition so much of the time, given so much vs earned.... when reality hits - they are just not at all prepared mentally, physically and even in development. I will say Cal seems to prepare his guys for the reality of tough competition - bad calls - having to fight for playing time - the mental grind - swimming upstream against opponents, crowds and even refs. Cal does prep these guys for the reality of the NBA. K - not so much.

And at the same time, is this yet ANOTHER example of a Duke player being protected in Coach K's Skulls-esque circle, and then sucking when they are on their own in the NBA? And how many Kentucky players went on to shine brighter in the NBA than they did here at Kentucky, for the exact opposite?

It's just example after example after example of the type of treatment Duke gets.
LOL - sorry - I was typing slower than you - but AMEN and DITTO.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I haven't watched the Lakers much the last couple of years - but I did note that Magic said that Ingram, and not Russell or Randle, was untouchable in trade talks. Figured i was just missing the obvious, that Ingram was simply the best of the 3....

I haven't watched the Lakers much the last couple of years - but I did note that Magic said that Ingram, and not Russell or Randle, was untouchable in trade talks. Figured i was just missing the obvious, that Ingram was simply the best of the 3....
Meh. Better than Randle is debatable. Very debatable. Yeah, and Lonzo is better than Fox, too, according to Magic. Bullshit he is.

IDK if he's a bust just yet - but I do know he looks BAKED 100% of the time...
In my feeble mind and failing memory, no one ever looked quite as baked as former UNC*** forward Sam Perkins. Dude looked smoked no matter what was going on. Hell, even in his team photo.

sam-perkins-41-forward-of-the-university-of-north-carolina-tar-heels-picture-id180225916

Agree,however K is a successful college coach,his system produces wins at the college level.It is not unlike Mumme in football his system on offense could make a star out of almost anyone. There is no denying that Duke gets special treatment and that helps but the Duke system,while fine for college, doesn't translate into the NBA nearly so well.

In my feeble mind and failing memory, no one ever looked quite as baked as former UNC*** forward Sam Perkins. Dude looked smoked no matter what was going on. Hell, even in his team photo.

sam-perkins-41-forward-of-the-university-of-north-carolina-tar-heels-picture-id180225916
They ain't call
Him big smoothe for nothin

Reactions: bigbluelou
I never saw this but ive heard rumors about some guys doing powder before games. In HS i know a bunch of fb players would take speed.

Agree,however K is a successful college coach,his system produces wins at the college level.It is not unlike Mumme in football his system on offense could make a star out of almost anyone. There is no denying that Duke gets special treatment and that helps but the Duke system,while fine for college, doesn't translate into the NBA nearly so well.

I do have to wonder, without those calls they get, that you mentioned, how good are they, really? Do they even win the 2010/15 national titles? The Duke protection could be the difference between Coach K being the greatest coach, to one that's somewhere in the 15. He's by no means anything less than a great coach.. But where are the wins, titles, Final fours, etc.. when he's not getting calls, easy brackets, seed bumps, etc.?

Skal has a very good chance of being a better pro-prospect than Ingram.. Let that sink in. And I'll forever wonder why recruits don't come to UK. But maybe the better question at this point is: If a player doesn't want to come to Kentucky, are they really that strong mentally? I'm not sure this is ALL Calipari. I think some recruits want to work and be pushed, and others don't. The latter go elsewhere...

I do have to wonder, without those calls they get, that you mentioned, how good are they, really? Do they even win the 2010/15 national titles? The Duke protection could be the difference between Coach K being the greatest coach, to one that's somewhere in the 15. He's by no means anything less than a great coach.. But where are the wins, titles, Final fours, etc.. when he's not getting calls, easy brackets, seed bumps, etc.?
There is no way to know how good they really are/were,another question is why does he get all that you mentioned(no doubt that he does) he is a class jerk on the court and a total fake off the court.Refs should hate him for how he treats them and the language he uses (directed mostly at them)Which brings us to the favorable brackets and seedings,I suppose it is done partly for T V ratings(both for Duke fans and for those that love to hate them)

A great/good coach he is no doubt ,but as you say, there are 15 or 20 just as good who never got the breaks he did.

Going on only what he did last year, his stats would suggest he isnt a stud. Most of the elite hit the ground running in the NBA and average at least double figures. Who knows what he does but he has a lot of work to do. INteresting too saw an article the said Ulis shot better in college from 5ft in the INgram...

After stinking it up his rookie season on one of the worst teams in the NBA, Ingram has played even worse this preseason. Dude is shooting 8-30 from the field and has only 2 assists in 3 games.

This is the guy that had so much BS Duke hype around him that the Lakers called him untradeable, and wouldn't give him up for Demarcus Cousins. These recruits and NBA teams will never learn.

Dude, you are WAY jumping the gun here.

Ingram started and averaged nearly double figures as a 19 year old rookie, you know, when most rookies his age are buried on the bench or dwelling in the D-League.

It's just nonsensically premature to be using the "bust" word anywhere near that kid right now. Hate to break it to you, but most likely Ingram will end up as a very good NBA player.

ADVERTISEMENT