ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Discussion

KyCatFan

All-American
May 7, 2002
There are likely only 3 guaranteed spots. Georgia in the playoffs, one of LSU, Alabama, and Tennessee in the Sugar, and one in the Citrus. The last one left drops to the pool of 6 bowls that the SEC picks.
Ab6rgIs.jpg

We are in that 6 team pool with the last top 4 team, Ole Miss, Miss St, South Carolina, and either Florida or Arkansas. Record doesn't really matter in these I don't believe. Bama will likely get preferential treatment if they do end up in this group.

Just a guess without knowing all the other teams' info (like how we play UL in basketball the same day as MCB or who has played in the bowls recently).

Playoffs - Georgia
Sugar - Tennessee (beat both LSU and Bama)
Citrus - LSU (beat Bama)

Pool of 6
Liberty - Florida or Arkansas (guessing Arkansas due to location)
Texas - Miss St
ReliaQuest - Kentucky
Las Vegas - Ole Miss
Gator - Bama
Music City - South Carolina

Last 2 bowls
Gasparilla- Florida or Arkansas (guessing Florida due to location)
Birmingham - Missouri

Most of the picks are based on location to bowls. That maybe a bigger issue this year with the rising costs of travel. I went back and tried to put them where there was no conflict with basketball but it was almost impossible. Just about everyone plays on December 28th and a number of them are conference games.

I'm just not sure if it will be a huge deal to most of the rest of the conference whether they have a basketball game on any bowl date. For us though, it would keep us out of MCB, Liberty, Las Vegas, and Texas bowls. That leaves Gator and ReliaQuest. So basketball might push us to Florida if Bama wants something else and our basketball status gets us our way.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Bama will likely get preferential treatment if they do end up in this group.
Interesting discussion.

If Bama, LSU and UT all end up in the Top 10 (some years top 12) as I understand it, they all get NYD6 Bowl games.

All P5 conference Champions even if not Top 12 get in (so Clemson will eat a NYD6 slot even if ranked 15th) and the top ranked G5 gets a slot even if not top 12.

So, the remaining Top 10 should get into a NYD6 Bowl.

Does LSU drop out of the Top 10 with it’s loss to aTm?

Very possible, and if so, they are “first out,” and likely the highest ranked SEC team after PO’s and NYD6 have eaten. They would then go to the Citrus. But a good showing by them against UGA in the title game could push them back up to Top 10.

Assuming LSU to the Citrus, I think either South Carolina or Ole Miss gets the Tampa/Reliaquest Bowl. The other I would guess gets the TS/Gator in Jacksonville.

That leaves us, Mississippi State, Arky and Mizzou.

Best guess: State to Texas Bowl, Mizzou to Las Vegas, Arkansas, Liberty and Kentucky the MCB. These last two could switch, but geography says they will allow each fan base the lesser driving time. As to the lower paying LasVegas Bowl, Mizzou is closest, and finished only 6-6, so strap in for a long drive or a flight!

Florida gets the low-payout Gasparilla Bowl in Tampa, but it will sell tickets.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjjones
ADVERTISEMENT