ADVERTISEMENT

Bowden thought about giving up football

He was put in a pretty stressful situation last year IMO, with getting here late and then being asked to learn a new position in three weeks. Accordingly his numbers in 2017 were not impressive. With a year under his belt he really had a breakout season in 2018, and now I'm sure he's already thinking about what his draft position might be after next season.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
So glad he didn't quit Football. The kid is an exceptional football player. Can't wait to see what his JR year brings. If he improves at the rate he did between his Freshman and Sophmore years he will be one of the best at his position in all of College Football.

Reactions: Jazzycat
Hope he makes some money in the NFL and has success after football. Would be a great story.

Probably gone after next year, but that be will good for our recruiting if he is drafted after three years, maybe some dumb four star will notice. Doesn't he have a wife and kid to support, wonder if she misses the extra $7,500 Cincy would have given them over those three years?

When Bowden hit that seam on the punt return late at Mizzou, I was standing up along with the rest of the state, but I provided the call:

“Bowden finds a seam, . . . he’s to the 40, . . . the 30 . . . .”

There was no empty seat near a TV in Kentucky, when he ran it back.

Nor a dry seat in Old Mizzou!

When Bowden hit that seam on the punt return late at Mizzou, I was standing up along with the rest of the state, but I provided the call:

“Bowden finds a seam, . . . he’s to the 40, . . . the 30 . . . .”

There was no empty seat near a TV in Kentucky, when he ran it back.

Nor a dry seat in Old Mizzou!
Arguably, that play saved our season...my question is..why isn't he returning every punt?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Probably gone after next year, but that be will good for our recruiting if he is drafted after three years, maybe some dumb four star will notice. Doesn't he have a wife and kid to support, wonder if she misses the extra $7,500 Cincy would have given them over those three years?

11, you actually think he will be drafted ? :fries:

You actually don't?

It all depends on the quality of his Junior season. All-American mention and an increase in production could well do it.

Ironically, with a youngster, getting that degree will matter. But Bowden is a sharp youngster and will be done by 3.5, if he wishes.

He was put in a pretty stressful situation last year IMO, with getting here late and then being asked to learn a new position in three weeks. Accordingly his numbers in 2017 were not impressive. With a year under his belt he really had a breakout season in 2018, and now I'm sure he's already thinking about what his draft position might be after next season.

Yeah, some fans and fake fans pretended that learning a new position and showing up late should have had no impact. That was rubbish. Glad he did not listen to the small voices and had a fantastic year!!!

Reactions: The-Hack and jauk11
Arguably, that play saved our season...my question is..why isn't he returning every punt?

Don’t shoot the messenger but someone in the past said he was quoted saying he wasn’t comfortable doing it. I would get him comfortable. :)

It seems to me that Bowden physical ability was far greater than his level of maturity his first season. It seemed like he improved some this season as far as his maturity level. Hopefully he continues to grow and reach his full potential.

The first relocation away from home is always stressful. Young people go through a coping process. We will never know how many college football players think about giving up the game at some point. But the opportunity for a free education keeps most of them on the path.

Reactions: Blue Decade
He had the stress of fatherhood mixed in.

The life of a college FB player is pretty consuming, now 12 months a year.

Likely, less than half of any signing class, here or elsewhere, makes it to Senior Day.
Good point. I’m sure having a season that didn’t live up to expectations last year mixed with the new baby really made him have to evaluate how he was going to balance his new priorities and if the time commitment of school/football was going to pay off on the long run.

He was frosh ALL-SEC. I doubt this had much to do with production or opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT