ADVERTISEMENT

Bourbon Question?

Brother in law & Sister are part owners of a (2-3 yrs old) distillery outside of Dallas, Five Points Distillery. They make a Texas wheat whiskey, Lone Elm, $49 a bottle. Supposed to be very good. I'm not a whiskey drinker...but I didn't have any issues with it.
pouring-lone-elm-400x225.gif

They're having a difficult time w/distributorship. I think it can only be bought around the Dallas & Austin TX area.

Edit: For $49 ...$hit better be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: ModernThirst_Bill
Brother in law & Sister are part owners of a (2-3 yrs old) distillery outside of Dallas, Five Points Distillery. They make a Texas wheat whiskey, Lone Elm, $49 a bottle. Supposed to be very good. I'm not a whiskey drinker...but I didn't have any issues with it.
pouring-lone-elm-400x225.gif

They're having a difficult time w/distributorship. I think it can only be bought around the Dallas & Austin TX area.

Edit: For $49 ...$hit better be good.
For a craft distillery, $49 isn't too high. Very expensive to make something and then have to wait 2-3 years before you can sell it.

The Stagg is gone. Cheers to everyone this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone interested in (3) bottles of Stagg Jr 134.4 proof in the Louisville area. Willing to sell for what I paid $55 each, will go $150 if you take all three. I have tried working through a 4th bottle for a year and I just don't enjoy this bourbon.

I'd probably do at least 1 or 2. Heck, probably all 3. I like it quite a bit. Shoot me a PM or email me at bill@modernthirst.com

Last edited:
Is Black Maple Hill still a thing? It too, was a hybrid, aged in California? Given to me as a gift and I about chugged that shit. Was very good.

I liked Very Old Pogue when that was available too. A little thin, but punchy.

I got a few rare ones stored. Pappy, Very Old Scout Smooth Ambler amongst.

Is Black Maple Hill still a thing? It too, was a hybrid, aged in California? Given to me as a gift and I about chugged that shit. Was very good.

I liked Very Old Pogue when that was available too. A little thin, but punchy.

I got a few rare ones stored. Pappy, Very Old Scout Smooth Ambler amongst.
No. When it was made in KY, it was excellent. Now it's non-age stated made in Oregon or someplace, and it's terrible.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
Bill- My sister gave me a bottle of Pin Hook Rye Bourbon/Whiskey. Ever tried or heard of it? Produced in Central Ky. I usually drink bonded.

I'm new to this. Anyone tried Koval Bourbon- 51/49 corn/?millet? Made in Chicago. Never heard of millet in a bourbon. Review I saw said very drinkable.

Bill- My sister gave me a bottle of Pin Hook Rye Bourbon/Whiskey. Ever tried or heard of it? Produced in Central Ky. I usually drink bonded.

I tried their Lot 001 Rye Whiskey , 'Bourbon N Rye,' just recently and thought it was one of the better 2-year old ryes on the market. I'd much rather find one in the 4-5 year range or better from MGP, but it's a very good presentation of that age and distillate.

There's a video review of it here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT