ADVERTISEMENT

Boom Williams signed by the Toronto Argonauts

TuckyFB

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jun 21, 2016
DarhLCqU0AA-u9e.jpg:large

Hope the best for the kid.

Interesting result whichever way you look at it...

It’s the G league for the NFL. CFL players who are not star QBs, often work second jobs. That said, Boom still has NFL potential. Playing in the CFL and improving his hands and RB routes is probably a good idea.

I want Boom to succeed and am happy to see him working at it. I think he might have been drafted right about now had he stayed at UK, but that is only a guess. I suspect current UK players learned from his mistake.

It’s the G league for the NFL. CFL players who are not star QBs, often work second jobs. That said, Boom still has NFL potential. Playing in the CFL and improving his hands and RB routes is probably a good idea.

I want Boom to succeed and am happy to see him working at it. I think he might have been drafted right about now had he stayed at UK, but that is only a guess. I suspect current UK players learned from his mistake.

^^Ditto.^^

I expect he'll cash some above average checks up there, and wander back to the States for a shot, after finally packing on 10-15 good weight.

Agreed. He never should have left early, but a man has to make his own decisions in life. I hope this works out for him and he can latch on with a NFL team at some point. I think he is a NFL caliber RB in spot duty IMO.

I never understood the theory that staying another year would have improved his receiving skills. How? Would he have been made offensive coordinator so he could call more screens to the back?

It's not like Boom had bad hands. Gran/Johnson don't throw to the running back. Same way Conrad doesn't get balls thrown to him, neither did Boom.

When Neal Brown was calling plays, Boom caught 17 passes his freshman year. And let's not forget, that was when he was splitting snaps four ways with Heard, Kemp, and Horton. They all caught 47 passes. His last year splitting the snaps with just Snell, he only caught 8. All running backs caught 12.

Playing another year would have only got him more injured and no better chance at NFL. I loved Boom and we are so much better with him, but I'm glad he left for his sake. Leaving will add another year or two to his football career.

Reactions: JDHoss
I really think a big part of Boom's decision to go early had to do with injury issues. I may be wrong but I think he had to sit games each year for being hurt.
Players have only so many plays in their body. The wide open CFL field and not quite the NFL monsters laying wood on him should allow him to do really well in CFL play.

I never understood the theory that staying another year would have improved his receiving skills. How? Would he have been made offensive coordinator so he could call more screens to the back?

It's not like Boom had bad hands. Gran/Johnson don't throw to the running back. Same way Conrad doesn't get balls thrown to him, neither did Boom.

When Neal Brown was calling plays, Boom caught 17 passes his freshman year. And let's not forget, that was when he was splitting snaps four ways with Heard, Kemp, and Horton. They all caught 47 passes. His last year splitting the snaps with just Snell, he only caught 8. All running backs caught 12.

Playing another year would have only got him more injured and no better chance at NFL. I loved Boom and we are so much better with him, but I'm glad he left for his sake. Leaving will add another year or two to his football career.

Never play a down in NFL...too soft

Reactions: howercat
ADVERTISEMENT