ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Beatty retires from Trinity

National recruiters ? Give me a break. If you are going to start the public school jealousy stuff, please don’t. Just give the man his props and move on. This isn’t a thread for all of the other crap.

They’ll wind up with another quality coach. They’ll look nationally like they did for Beatty. My nephew will be their starting kicker the next couple of years. He’s been busting his tail to get a kicking scholarship somewhere to the point he’s ready to give up soccer that he’s been playing at a high level all his life to devote himself to kicking. Was just invited to IMG academy in Florida for the Kohl’s Future Stars camp.

They’ll wind up with another quality coach. They’ll look nationally like they did for Beatty. My nephew will be their starting kicker the next couple of years. He’s been busting his tail to get a kicking scholarship somewhere to the point he’s ready to give up soccer that he’s been playing at a high level all his life to devote himself to kicking. Was just invited to IMG academy in Florida for the Kohl’s Future Stars camp.
Good luck to your nephew. Isn't it incredibly hard to get a scholarship as a kicker? Not even just because it's down on a coach's wish list but college coaches just don't trust what they see with high school kickers because they get to use the tee in high school.

Good luck to your nephew. Isn't it incredibly hard to get a scholarship as a kicker? Not even just because it's down on a coach's wish list but college coaches just don't trust what they see with high school kickers because they get to use the tee in high school.
That’s why they have the camps. I think colleges rely mostly on camp evaluations. If kickers are good enough they’ll get scholarships. I don’t think most schools will have more than one or two on scholly at a time. His goal is to be the best kicker in the state. He didn’t start kicking until his freshman year and worked his way up to starting for the freshman team. This year he earned the varsity starting job but a soccer related hip injury reared its head in the first game. He missed the rest of the regular season. He ended up getting called back into action for the playoffs and did well. He’s still got a some growing to do, he’s pretty small but hitting his growth spurt. He’s a class of 2023. He was rated the 7th best kicker nationally for his class at the Ray Guy camp over the summer.

Reactions: Texcat59
Not doubting in the least that he is a great coach at a great school. However, they were national recruiters , not just local but national. That is a fact and that was a large reason he could dominate the state of KY.

When did they start recruiting “nationally?” As if that was necessary to dominate the state.

Two big jobs open in the KY high school ranks this offseason with this one and Highlands.

I hope Beatty enjoys a good retirement.

15 state titles in 21 years, that is some kind of legacy to leave behind. Who ever follows him will have some big shoes to fill. My nephew played 4 years for him, he was on the Brian Brohm led team. He said he is one tough SOB to play for.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
They weren't playing by the same rules. Even saint x has a little more discretion that flat out recruiting a 3rd of the team away from public schools. They even do it for basketball too.
The more kids out of public schools and into private ones the better for education quality. Monopolies are never good.

JMO high school football is boring if you aren't in high school or have your own kids that play.
here's why I disagree. From Idiots thread:

"Just watched LA Rams player make interception.

He's still about 25 yard line with a guy chasing him down and he's holding the ball over his head and looking back at the guy chasing him like a total unprofessional Jacka**.

This is the kind of people who play in the NFL. No character. No decency. Just a bunch of criminals and idiots with low IQs.

And you wonder why ratings are so down in Pro Sports?"

here's why I disagree. From Idiots thread:

"Just watched LA Rams player make interception.

He's still about 25 yard line with a guy chasing him down and he's holding the ball over his head and looking back at the guy chasing him like a total unprofessional Jacka**.

This is the kind of people who play in the NFL. No character. No decency. Just a bunch of criminals and idiots with low IQs.

And you wonder why ratings are so down in Pro Sports?"
What does that have to do with HS football being boring to me?

JMO high school football is boring if you aren't in high school or have your own kids that play.

100%. The only thing I’d add is all the private/Catholic school grads who let you know where they went to HS within 10 min of talking to them - which is a good chunk of Lville and Cincy lol

Reactions: Deli owl
There is no denying that their life is better, but don't prop up state titles won by a full time high school football coach (he did not teach or have another job) with a recruited roster as some great accomplishment. He wasn't playing by the same rules.
The more kids out of public schools and into private ones the better for education quality. Monopolies are never good.

Reactions: Deli owl
There is no denying that their life is better, but don't prop up state titles won by a full time high school football coach (he did not teach or have another job) with a recruited roster as some great accomplishment. He wasn't playing by the same rules.
Not sure you know much about Trinity HS and Trinity Football.

Beatty did teach the whole time he was at Trinity -- classroom teacher too; not in the weight room. Taught in the fall and spring -- nothing different for being in-season. I think his "perk" from not having to have a full-load (not uncommon for HS coaches public or private in Ky) was that he had lunchroom duty for a couple hours each day.

Given that HS coaches spend roughly 90 hours at school per week in-season, it seems reasonable that they wouldn't have to do classroom teaching every period of the day.

Why would you post publicly "he didn't teach or have another job" when you obviously didn't know for sure if this was a falsehood?

Guess you don’t know Phillip Haywood at Belfry
Do know of Mr Haywood. Legendary. Anyone who devotes over 45 years coaching high school is a tremendous individual!

He has 6 titles in that time period correct? Great but no offense it’s not 15 in 21.

Sorry I was mistaken. Doesn't change the fact that he had more talent than every team he played. Trinity has sold out, nothing wrong with that. Just admit they are not playing on a level playing field.

Not sure you know much about Trinity HS and Trinity Football.

Beatty did teach the whole time he was at Trinity -- classroom teacher too; not in the weight room. Taught in the fall and spring -- nothing different for being in-season. I think his "perk" from not having to have a full-load (not uncommon for HS coaches public or private in Ky) was that he had lunchroom duty for a couple hours each day.

Given that HS coaches spend roughly 90 hours at school per week in-season, it seems reasonable that they wouldn't have to do classroom teaching every period of the day.

Why would you post publicly "he didn't teach or have another job" when you obviously didn't know for sure if this was a falsehood?

I think they recruit players, St. X as well. However, I think players recruit the school and playing for Beatty as much as the other way around. I don't remember all of the details but that loaded class playing alongside Brohm, at least some of them supposedly recruited the school, so they could continue playing together. Maybe someone on here remembers the details better than I do.

I watched first hand middle schoolers being recruited by Male, Ballard and Manual. Spoke with Manual’s old HC who talked about recruiting Catholic grade schools. It’s folly to act as if recruiting does not happen at the public schools.

Sorry I was mistaken. Doesn't change the fact that he had more talent than every team he played. Trinity has sold out, nothing wrong with that. Just admit they are not playing on a level playing field.
Appreciate you owning up to that. Most assume it to be true that the top HS coaches don't teach -- unless they are retired, there are very few in Ky like that (now, Georgia and TX are a different discussion).

I'd also take you task on the talent part. Outside of the couple of years they had Quick, Dawkins, etc., they have NOT been loaded with D1 kids. Usually it's one kid -- like when they had R. Moore -- and a bunch of good, NAIA/D2/D3 HS football players. That's the same kind of breakdown at most good HS programs (Douglass in Lex now has several Power5 D1 guys on one team).

What I'll give you is their D2/D3 type kids are extremely tough and well-coached. That's where they have an advantage over most others (outside of Male I'd say).

This year for instance--a team many said is the best they've had--I think they have zero kids w/ a Power 5 offer, one w/ an offer from UC, one from App St., and two from E. Illinois (FCS). Those guys were all on defense. I don't think they have an offensive kid w/ a full-ride offer at any level.

Strongly disagree. Male has as much talent as Trinity. St. X is very good. Also Trinity plays the best schools from Indiana, Southern Ohio and Tennessee on an annual basis. Those teams are among the best nationally. No one in their class plays a tougher schedule.

Last edited:
15 state titles in 21 years, that is some kind of legacy to leave behind. Who ever follows him will have some big shoes to fill. My nephew played 4 years for him, he was on the Brian Brohm led team. He said he is one tough SOB to play for.
I know he was responsible for much of that, but Trinity's situation is partly responsible as well. I really think there should be a regional league for the private Powerhouse programs that would make things more competitive and winning a championship more of a challenge. would mean they'd have to travel to places like Indy, Nashville, Cincy, or up into Ohio more, but would be interesting to see something like that work.

Here is my statement about Trinity and their greatness and I may be wrong so you Trinity guys correct me if this is off base.

I think Trinity is great because of coaching and specialization. They have a great team full of dedicated kids who are identified for a specific offensive OR defensive position very early and then they have to compete everyday at that one position with a quality position coach every day.
They have no players starting by default. Every player has to earn their spot in practice against 3 or 4 or 7 others who want to play.

If my son is a def end at his HS and yours is one at Trinity then your son gets 70 practices at his position with a coach who coaches def ends everyday. My son practiced 35 times as a def end with a coach who prefers to coachrunning backs on offensive days but has to coach def ends on def days.

By the time your kid is a Trinity senior he has 105 more practices at his position than mine, all with a quality coach.
Now think about that for all 11 positions on both sides of the ball. THAT is why Trinity is so disciplined and GOOD!

But I may be wrong

Reactions: Kommonwealth
Here is my statement about Trinity and their greatness and I may be wrong so you Trinity guys correct me if this is off base.

I think Trinity is great because of coaching and specialization. They have a great team full of dedicated kids who are identified for a specific offensive OR defensive position very early and then they have to compete everyday at that one position with a quality position coach every day.
They have no players starting by default. Every player has to earn their spot in practice against 3 or 4 or 7 others who want to play.

If my son is a def end at his HS and yours is one at Trinity then your son gets 70 practices at his position with a coach who coaches def ends everyday. My son practiced 35 times as a def end with a coach who prefers to coachrunning backs on offensive days but has to coach def ends on def days.

By the time your kid is a Trinity senior he has 105 more practices at his position than mine, all with a quality coach.
Now think about that for all 11 positions on both sides of the ball. THAT is why Trinity is so disciplined and GOOD!

But I may be wrong

Having a bunch of kids learning one position for four years is really key. A kid that may never play at Male, may play his senior year at Trinity, because he practiced and played that one position for three years.

Give Beatty his due..what he did is incredible and made the most of the opportunity to coach at a place like Trinity in a state like KY (with not as much talent as say GA, FL or even TN). Whoever the next coach for the Shamrocks is will not win at the same level...Beatty had a lot to do with that success..its not Trinity alone. They went out and competing regionally year after year against some of the best and won their fair share. Yes he recruits but its not a wide area of recruitment and not like every kid is dying to enroll there.

Now, in fairness to the other great coaches like Haywood at Belfry...you can't outright the two and their success. Its a different deal and on some level harder to sustain a quality program at such a rural school. These guys are recruiting as well but its on a separate level.

Trinity has about 1,400 boys if the numbers are still accurate...thats essentially a school with 2,800 kids in it (assuming same number of girls) which makes it by far the largest school in KY....add in the quality of life and discipline of most kids along with the coaching advantages you have a distinct advantage over your average rural public school.

Give Beatty his due..what he did is incredible and made the most of the opportunity to coach at a place like Trinity in a state like KY (with not as much talent as say GA, FL or even TN). Whoever the next coach for the Shamrocks is will not win at the same level...Beatty had a lot to do with that success..its not Trinity alone. They went out and competing regionally year after year against some of the best and won their fair share. Yes he recruits but its not a wide area of recruitment and not like every kid is dying to enroll there.

Now, in fairness to the other great coaches like Haywood at Belfry...you can't outright the two and their success. Its a different deal and on some level harder to sustain a quality program at such a rural school. These guys are recruiting as well but its on a separate level.

Trinity has about 1,400 boys if the numbers are still accurate...thats essentially a school with 2,800 kids in it (assuming same number of girls) which makes it by far the largest school in KY....add in the quality of life and discipline of most kids along with the coaching advantages you have a distinct advantage over your average rural public school.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and while I agree that T has some built in advantages, I think that the smaller “only game in town” schools have way more advantages.

The kids in those small towns learn the system from the time they start playing. The drills are the same. The plays are the same. The coaches know exactly what kind of kids/talent they have coming every year.

I agree but these posters who downplay Beatty’s success surely say the same thing about Nick Saban right? If not for the Alabama name and recruiting base, no way he would have had that success.

At the end of the day to win 15 titles it takes great players but also great coaching.

Reactions: Kybluedude
Appreciate you owning up to that. Most assume it to be true that the top HS coaches don't teach -- unless they are retired, there are very few in Ky like that (now, Georgia and TX are a different discussion).

I'd also take you task on the talent part. Outside of the couple of years they had Quick, Dawkins, etc., they have NOT been loaded with D1 kids. Usually it's one kid -- like when they had R. Moore -- and a bunch of good, NAIA/D2/D3 HS football players. That's the same kind of breakdown at most good HS programs (Douglass in Lex now has several Power5 D1 guys on one team).

What I'll give you is their D2/D3 type kids are extremely tough and well-coached. That's where they have an advantage over most others (outside of Male I'd say).

This year for instance--a team many said is the best they've had--I think they have zero kids w/ a Power 5 offer, one w/ an offer from UC, one from App St., and two from E. Illinois (FCS). Those guys were all on defense. I don't think they have an offensive kid w/ a full-ride offer at any level.

This! It's a combination of things. Numbers, coaching, kids who WANT to be at Trinity and COMPETE to be on the field. I will say, the year they had R. Moore. If he wasn't on the field, St. X would have won. R. Moore may be the best HS player I've ever seen in person. He was dynamic. Probably touched the ball in that game 75% of the offensive plays. It was so funny watching St. X fans yelling "get him". Ummmmmm....they are trying to "get him". He was unreal.

I agree but these posters who downplay Beatty’s success surely say the same thing about Nick Saban right? If not for the Alabama name and recruiting base, no way he would have had that success.

At the end of the day to win 15 titles it takes great players but also great coaching.

Exactly...elite talent will get you wins, but it takes great coaching to get a title and then to stay there and dominate takes elite coaching on top of the talent. The best coaches in college football (Saban, Dabo, Ryan Day, Urban, etc.) get top end talent, but they also are elite coaches and make all the difference. Yes Bama has some built in advantages that other places don't but so does Texas, Georgia, Michigan and so on.

Beatty was that elite level coach that are few and far between.

ADVERTISEMENT