ADVERTISEMENT

Blade Runner [SPOILERS]

Which version of Blade Runner do you prefer?

• The US theatrical release (1982)

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • The director's cut (1992)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • One of the other versions

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
At least half a different versions of Blade Runner exist, but the two best-known versions are the original 1982 version and the 1992 director's cut. Their differences are subtle but they significantly alter both the plot and theme of the work. Which do you prefer?

I prefer the theatrical version. Deckard being a human doesn't detract at all from the movie's exploration of the definition of humanity, but if he's a replicant, I don't see how that fact doesn't not create a plot hole. Why would Tyrell -- a guy who can create replicants at will -- try to save himself from a group of rogue replicants by creating one deliberately weak and fragile replicant, needlessly crafting an incredibly elaborate fake life for it just to trick it into thinking that it's human for absolutely no apparent reason, and then just kinda sitting back and hoping that maybe, just maybe, with some luck, it'll get the job done? What am I missing? XD

On the other hand, I very much like Blade Runner 2049, and it's definitively a sequel to the director's cut, not the theatrical cut, since its plot hinges on Deckard being a replicant.

Regardless of which version of the movie I'm gawking at, I think its aesthetics are some of the coolest ever filmed. I love absolutely everything about its look and tone. :)

027_blade_runner_theredlist.0.jpg

I saw the directors cut before I saw the theatrical version. When I watched the theatrical version it just felt like Harrison Ford had a gun to his head while he was narrating. He sounded like he would have rather been anywhere else on Earth.

2007 Final Cut is what I go to, the "director's cut" is a huge improvement but not really a director's cut. Theatrical cut was a studio created, focus tested product, not anyone's artistic vision.

Reactions: chroix and J_Dee
are you saying he is a replicant in the 2049 release? two replicants had a child, or a human and replicant had a child?

Reactions: chroix
are you saying he is a replicant in the 2049 release? two replicants had a child, or a human and replicant had a child?

It's deliberately kept ambiguous but it's implied that he wouldn't have been able to survive in the ruins Las Vegas for so long if he wasn't a replicant, and also Wallace is extremely condescending to him, like he's just a broken toy.

I liked the deleted scenes on the DVD. It better explained things, and explains why Deckard stays on Earth and is so bitter. (His wife went off world with another guy) I prefer the version they released in the early 90's.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix and J_Dee
It's deliberately kept ambiguous but it's implied that he wouldn't have been able to survive in the ruins Las Vegas for so long if he wasn't a replicant, and also Wallace is extremely condescending to him, like he's just a broken toy.
maybe, but then why not just kill him and extract the information postmortem, if he is a replicant?
i suppose my thought was that he fell in love with the replicant and they somehow had a child, and then understood those ramifications and hid it from everyone. we never see Deckerd run through stone walls.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
maybe, but then why not just kill him and extract the information postmortem, if he is a replicant?
i suppose my thought was that he fell in love with the replicant and they somehow had a child, and then understood those ramifications and hid it from everyone. we never see Deckerd run through stone walls.

Yet he is able to defeat the replicants. He’s next gen like Rachel.

Favorite movie ever. Not sure anything could have honestly but felt like 2049 was visually there but missing the substance and depth of the OG.

Reactions: christophero
we never see Deckerd run through stone walls.

And yet the director's cut strongly implies that he's a replicant.

crop;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60.jpg

That's my entire problem with that version of the movie: why would Tyrell, a guy who can build an infinite number of super-powered replicants, defend himself by building one single replicant with all the powers of 40-year-old Harrison Ford? :b

Imo I think it's pretty clear deckard is human. The entire second movie is premised on covering up the fact a human (deckard) and a replicant had a child. Also in both movies deckard is always seriously overpowered by replicants.

Imo the reason they mentioned no human could live in the wasteland was to show how stubborn, tough, and reclusive deckard became. Of course we find out why.

Jmo

I always thought the movie played better if Deckard is human. There is irony; he is drinking and trying to suppress his feelings while the replicants all live life to the fullest because they are on borrowed time. I really liked 2049 but it can't quite capture the magic of the original. Still a very well made film that should age well.

I saw the directors cut before I saw the theatrical version. When I watched the theatrical version it just felt like Harrison Ford had a gun to his head while he was narrating. He sounded like he would have rather been anywhere else on Earth.
That's because he didn't want to do it and decided that if he did it as poorly as he could they wouldn't use it in the film......

Reactions: J_Dee
‘Blade Runner 2049’ Sequel Series Ordered at Amazon

Silka Luisa serves as showrunner and executive producer, with Ridley Scott also executive producing under his Scott Free Productions banner.

Michael Green, the co-writer of “Blade Runner 2049,” will also executive produce with Alcon Entertainment co-founders Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson, Alcon’s head of television Ben Roberts, David W. Zucker and Clayton Krueger of Scott Free, Cynthia Yorkin, Frank Giustra, and Isa Dick Hackett. Tom Spezialy has joined the writers room and will also serve as an executive producer.

I don't know much about Silka Luisa, but Spezialy rules. Over the years I've named at least two D&D characters "Kubiak". :)

ADVERTISEMENT