ADVERTISEMENT

Birthday and Sugar Bowl 1951

MrHotDice

All-American
Nov 1, 2002
75 years ago today I was born in the old Paintsville Hospital. Now that’s no big deal but my father and I shared the same birthday so birthdays were a big deal. My father always included me with him from the time I was very little so hunting, fishing, and going to sporting events was common. Now my daddy loved UK football. He said UK football keep him alive during the war. He was a Marine in the South Pacific and was in the first wave to hit Guadalcanal, Saipan, Okinawa, and Tarawa.

In 1951 UK played Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl and my daddy and I got on the train in Paintsville and took it to New Orleans. My mother was against the trip. She was so scared because I was 5 years old but my daddy told her I spent 5 years fighting the Japanese so I can take my son to the most important game of my life time.. I remember that game with my dad, UK 13 Okla.7.

So to make a long story short, include your kids, they may be small but they will be memories that you will always have with them.

That’s a cool story.

I know one gent in my hometown still living who went to the game. And many who have passed on attended.

75 years ago today I was born in the old Paintsville Hospital. Now that’s no big deal but my father and I shared the same birthday so birthdays were a big deal. My father always included me with him from the time I was very little so hunting, fishing, and going to sporting events was common. Now my daddy loved UK football. He said UK football keep him alive during the war. He was a Marine in the South Pacific and was in the first wave to hit Guadalcanal, Saipan, Okinawa, and Tarawa.

In 1951 UK played Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl and my daddy and I got on the train in Paintsville and took it to New Orleans. My mother was against the trip. She was so scared because I was 5 years old but my daddy told her I spent 5 years fighting the Japanese so I can take my son to the most important game of my life time.. I remember that game with my dad, UK 13 Okla.7.

So to make a long story short, include your kids, they may be small but they will be memories that you will always have with them.

Your dad was a hero and a good man. Those battles were vicious and very high casualties. I know Tarawa and Guadalcanal were especially fierce not that the other 2 weren't. The pacific war was way different than the European war.

If he survived those campaigns, he was one tough sonuva gun!
I agree, include the kids, they won't forget it!

Good post. My dad passed back in February. He was 89. He wasn’t a die hard football fan, but lived UK basketball, until about the last 6 or 7 years. He was a dairy farmer and, couldn’t attend games even if he wanted to. One of the highlights of my life was taking him, along with my daughter,to a game in Rupp. I know this is a football site, but this is for him.

Beautiful story. Thanks for sharing. Both of my grandfathers fought in the pacific. Both saw a lot of action late in the war. One was 2nd attack wave at Iwo Jima. Was pinned down in a fox hole for several days with guys that didn’t make it. Unimaginable.

It breaks my heart I can’t get either of my teenage boys to join me for the games. They just aren’t into it and won’t give it a chance. One even plays football for his middle school, but has no interest. I’m not sure what the deal is. Makes me sad, especially since we’re so good!

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
ADVERTISEMENT