ADVERTISEMENT

Billy D

justin_uk_5

Junior
Gold Member
May 26, 2007
with OKC doing so bad this season, it’s possible that billy gets let go. I hope that doesn’t open up an opportunity for him to go to Louisville.

Horse Hockey
2d103fe7ef6f937ea76b6b310cfa5e0c.jpg

Someone has been listening to Louisville propaganda.

You don't turn down UK twice and end up at Louisville, much less THIS Louisville. People in Louisville have loved pushing this crap as a way to make themselves feel important.

Louisville isn't a top 15 job to perceptions outside of the state. Donovan has absolutely no ties to the university. The only connection he had was through Pitino, who was just fired in shame.

I've think if Donovan returns, it will be to stay somewhere until retirement. I've always though maybe a program like Syracuse could be his future. Huge name, basketball school, No pressure, northeast, and he'd probably pass Boeheim quickly and he's got the friggin court named after him.

OKC does look like a total mess right now so I could see Donovan leaving or getting the boot after this season. But, I seriously doubt Louisville would be an attractive landing spot for him at all with the huge mess of problems they have going on now.

Reactions: justin_uk_5
I would imagine if Billy D returns to college basketball it would be somewhere up in New England where he is from. This would be a good recruiting ground for him and little pressure. Plus he would be back home with his people and could retire in peace with a good legacy

Reactions: Grs51
I hope everyone is right. Billy d is one of the few coaches I would hate to see go to uofl. I was watching ESPN this morning (probably the first mistake), and they mentioned billy d getting fired as a possibility, so I started to think about what billy would do if he did get fired. Not sure of any good job openings off the top of my head. The blue bloods are steady at head coach

You don't turn down UK twice and end up at Louisville, much less THIS Louisville. People in Louisville have loved pushing this crap as a way to make themselves feel important.

Louisville isn't a top 15 job to perceptions outside of the state. Donovan has absolutely no ties to the university. The only connection he had was through Pitino, who was just fired in shame.

I've think if Donovan returns, it will be to stay somewhere until retirement. I've always though maybe a program like Syracuse could be his future. Huge name, basketball school, No pressure, northeast, and he'd probably pass Boeheim quickly and he's got the friggin court named after him.
I hope you’re right. I actually don’t listen to any uofl stuff and am about the biggest uofl hater you can find. I’m hoping they keep Padgett around

Billy D to UL lol. He's more likely to take the Duke job after K retires. Idk why anyone not named Tom crean would want to go to UL.

Billy D to UL is what Brad Stevens is to UK. Never going to happen

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Billy to the east? Duke (Mayyybe but not sure the timing is good.)? After his tenure in Florida? Hmmm...I think there will be other opportunities more attractive soon...

Billy D and even if Little ricky turns out to be a legend too.......... neither will ever coach UL because they'll always side with Rick.

And if Billy D comes back to coaching the NCAA anytime soon....... it would probably be UConn or Arizona since its possible those coaches could lose their jobs soon (one for sucking and the other for the FBI stuff)

but I'd put my money on Donovan trying it one more go with another NBA team and then the NCAA if the next NBA gig doesnt work out.

Reactions: WildcatDJ

I know for a fact, Pitino didn't won't Billy D to take the UK job. Donavon wanted to be the coach here at UK. You can bet money, if the Thunder releases Donavon this season, he will be Louisville's top choice.

Reactions: Dirt Court King
I know for a fact, Pitino didn't won't Billy D to take the UK job. Donavon wanted to be the coach here at UK. You can bet money, if the Thunder releases Donavon this season, he will be Louisville's top choice.

Oh, no doubt he will be lewisville's top choice but you can want in one hand a dump in the other and see which one fills up first....jmusao

Super teams take a while to adjust. They almost never come out of the gate firing. GSW with Durant last year, Lebron in Miami, Lebron in Cleveland.. Heck even the '04 Lakers... they all took time to gel (or in the 04 Lakers case, not really at all).

I do think Melo is just a cancer at this point. OKC doesn't need him and his salary to contend.. but they will start to figure it out.

Reactions: Deli owl
I could see him coming in and resurrecting the UL program, much like Pitino did ours...unless he is still close to Pitino and doesn't want to undermine him. I can see UL going all out for him if he becomes available. Don't know his mindset on whether he wants that type challenge and he knows for sure he can't recruit with Calipari, I believe that was one of the reasons he left Florider as the Yankees call it. If I were him I would take my millions and go to a place where there wasn't as much pressure and live my life out peaceably....but these guys don't get where they are at by taking the easy road.

Reactions: 78Gooses
Jay Wright to UNC, Bobby Hurley to Duke, Billy Donovan to Billanova
Jeff Capel is Associate Head Coach right now . It would be a slap in his face if he was passed over and coach K will never let that happen. He is the heir apparent. Now when he crashes and burns (and he will) , Hurley may be in the mix .

Reactions: morgousky
Jeff Capel is Associate Head Coach right now . It would be a slap in his face if he was passed over and coach K will never let that happen. He is the heir apparent. Now when he crashes and burns (and he will) , Hurley may be in the mix .
Well Capel is going to get a slap in the face. Imo I think Mike White will be the Dukies top choice.

Billy is loyal to his mentor Rick Pitino. Rick hates this board/president/admin. The admin wants to be cleansed of Pitino people and Billy's high price combined will keep him away.

Well Capel is going to get a slap in the face. Imo I think Mike White will be the Dukies top choice.

Sadly, you're all incorrect.

It's Bobby Hurley's job and it's not even close. He's a Dukie, he's put in work at every level now, being in a low-major (Buffalo) and a power conference (ASU), He's young, He's white, he hasn't gotten in trouble.

The longer coach K hangs around, the more cemented the above is. I think Capel's shot at coaching has to be in the next year or two, because Hurley is going to blow him out of the water in due time and Capel will be an after thought.

with OKC doing so bad this season, it’s possible that billy gets let go. I hope that doesn’t open up an opportunity for him to go to Louisville.
Why on earth would he want to go to a program that he has no connections to, literally quit recruiting for an entire season, and is about to get destroyed by sanctions?

I would slap him in the face then if I were the decision makers there, Hurley has accomplished a lot more as a head coach than Capel...not saying you are wrong but I would want the yellow brick road that has been paved for them to not be under construction but to continue, let Capel continue to recruit.

Donovan was only rumored to consider UL because of his relationship with Pitino...which is so strong I do honestly believe that played a part in him turning down UK, could have been a major reason.

So, you don't go spurn that relationship and go to the university that just fired your mentor, who is now suing them for millions.

So he didn't go to UK because Pitino didn't want him there, but he'd go to UL who just fired his mentor and is looking at getting sued?

ADVERTISEMENT