ADVERTISEMENT

Billion's UK games website is gone thanks for the copyright nazis :(

I hope you have a really good lawyer if you try to defend what you just typed.

You can copy the broadcast and watch it till your eyes swell shut. But you best not try to profit from the reproduction. That is the difference.
Never said, I was for people that wanted to profit from the games shared. Others here have offers to purchase game replays, but the subject of this thread never, that I know of, wanted to profit from his actions. He did try to recover his costs. He was sharing.

It is legal if the owners of the copyrighted material "give" the permissions for the material to be used in a particular way, which they can and often do. Having said that, I do realize there are serious issues involved and the discussion isn't all that simple.

Again, life is a gift. I believe that sharing is a moral obligation. Having said that, I do realize that UK basketball games aren't in the same category as feeding the hungry or providing a bed for the homeless, etc[winking]
You are a good man, preacherfan; however, the good lord does not let us cut corners.

If the Copyright holder wants to give it away then fine. But until then NO.

Never said, I was for people that wanted to profit from the games shared. Others here have offers to purchase game replays, but the subject of this thread never, that I know of, wanted to profit from his actions. He did try to recover his costs. He was sharing.
Recovering his cost is illegal. Sorry.

Only he can disclose his real cost.

I will say this about copyrights and trademarks, unless you are willing to enforce and defend them every time you notice they are infringed upon, they can eventually become worthless. Failure to protect your property actually makes it easier for others to use and abuse it.
I've had some instances where I have been the copyright holder and had to resort to legal measures to defend my property.

It's a little different in this situation in that Billionth and others were simply reposting old material, sometimes decades old. Not sure what the life of the copyright would be on a UK game from the mid-70's for example. And I don't think Billionth ever posted anything associated with UK sports expecting to make money off of it. But, the law in this case probably doesn't care about intent. Hate to see him shut down though.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
He did a good thing. I like people who do good things without all the lawyer BS.
Are you a lawyer? Me neither. The site was a Blessing for many here. I wouldn't do it but I Salute those that do.
I don't agree. However, legal versus illegal is determined by law. So I guess you root for the illegal?

Maybe it is time to change some laws involving broadcasting sporting events exposed for public consumption?

Laws should be, "what the people want."
Constitutional.
Then get them changed.

Do you need Mitch McConnels phone number?

If they want me to agree or disagree, I should have the option to not agree. With no choice, I am left with my disagreement.
Just because someone says something, doesn't make it true.

Sharing is good. (echoes of kindergarten).

I’m afraid it’s not your opinion that counts. When it’s comes to IP, the owner dictates terms. That’s why I used the example I did. Rowling vigorously protects her IP and she wins.

Don’t know what to say about your sharing comment. Rather unlikely that this would be contested in kindergarten.

That analogy is totally invalid and is not the same at all. You're talking about property in the physical sense. Of course if that gets stolen then the owner is without it unjustly and to the owner it's gone, possibly forever if the owner cannot recover it. What we're talking about, archiving/preserving games/history is nothing like that at all.

The archiving/preserving old games OTOH is not "stealing" anything at all, all that is being done is to preserve/archive history, no different than the way a library does it. And without this, these vintage games might be forever lost.

Yes I know all about copyright and such and of course I know they have the legal right to make ukbillionth's take them down...but just because they can do it doesn't mean they should do it. And yes they are totally within the letter of the law but they completely forgot about the spirit of the law.
Property is property. There is no distinction in the law for “physical”property vs some other kind. Someone owns the copyright, they get to decide what to do with it. Period. I don’t think you understand the whole letter of the law/spirit of the law thing.

Are you really a Good guy like you tell everyone?
I never heard anyone say, "kindergarten was a lie" before.

Never been accused of being a good guy. I also never said kindergarten was a lie. Most adults have come to grips with the fact that children are introduced to life in simpler terms. And well adjusted adults learn to cope with the complexities of life.

Most.

And well adjusted adults learn to cope with the complexities of life.
Complexities like: people like to steal, take no blame for their own actions and just flat out lie? Yes, they don't teach that in kindergarten.
So why do you want to think opposites of kindergarten is acceptable? You just want to go with the flow?

Last edited:
You know this is not unlike the South Park flag debate in the episode "Chef Goes Nanners". There are those who believe that copyright infringement is wrong and the same thing as stealing from a store or something, no matter the circumstances. And then there are those like myself who insist, at least in some circumstances that no one is really stealing anything (like in terms of royalties and such) if it's about preserving/archiving history.

You know this is not unlike the South Park flag debate in the episode "Chef Goes Nanners". There are those who believe that copyright infringement is wrong and the same thing as stealing from a store or something, no matter the circumstances. And then there are those like myself who insist, at least in some circumstances that no one is really stealing anything (like in terms of royalties and such) if it's about preserving/archiving history.
And verifying the value for history for all to see.
History belongs to all of us alive to review it.

Complexities like: people like to steal, take no blame for their own actions and just flat out lie? Yes, they don't teach that in kindergarten.
So why do you want to think opposites of kindergarten is acceptable? You just want to go with the flow?

What does that have to do with IP?

If you want a pissing contest, stay on topic.

You do realize this isn’t a matter of belief? This is a legal system. Your interpretation is not relevant to the outcome?

What does that have to do with IP?

If you want a pissing contest, stay on topic.
What? This is a contest?
You hit my leg with your comment and I responded.

This is my last post in this thread.
I am saddened by the death of the site.
The King is dead and Long live the King.
(You guys were really good stuff)

Last edited:
You are a good man, preacherfan; however, the good lord does not let us cut corners.

If the Copyright holder wants to give it away then fine. But until then NO.

I don't have a problem with what you just said at all. It is illegal and the copyright holders have the rights. That fact is indisputable.

My contention continues to be the "public good." My argument is not legal but rather moral. If I thought it was a legal issue, I would write my congress persons and explain this is no different than Amazon![laughing]

It's not overly complex to create a Kodi repo, less work than a website and the hosting & bandwidth costs would be the same. It would also allow (domain) separation of older games from current year games which I'm assuming is their biggest gripe for copyright holders. As others have mentioned, the SEC network doesn't even offer older game streams.

I'm not sure of the storage space required for a decade of UK games but that might be one way to separate sources (to avoid everything getting taken down). Five domain's could cover 50 years of games. I would imagine that current year games are 80-90 percent of the bandwidth so hosting for older games wouldn't be too expensive.

I'd be willing to help someone with a UK basketball kodi repo.

UKBillion's (sorry if that name isn't quite right) website that hosted all those great historical UK games is no more, thanks to the copyright Nazis :( I guess I can maybe understand not being allowed to post the current season's games but there is no good reason why they should've made UKBillions take down the history games as well. Thank God I downloaded them to my hard drive!!

This is just unreal and ridiculous, all he was doing was helping preserve history, if it weren't for him many of those older games could've forever been lost. So now what do we do as far as preserving UK game footage history?
Can you send me some copies or something?

If he had all the games and just asked for donations to keep the site going. ... I don’t see any problem with that... if UK or the SECN isn’t going to provide the same type of service then there shouldn’t be a problem as long as it’s based on donations and not ad revenues or subscriptions for money

Can you send me some copies or something?

Do I have to pay for them?

Like how much?

il_570xN.652303722_easf.jpg

Reactions: Kentucky fan 1989
It's not overly complex to create a Kodi repo, less work than a website and the hosting & bandwidth costs would be the same. It would also allow (domain) separation of older games from current year games which I'm assuming is their biggest gripe for copyright holders. As others have mentioned, the SEC network doesn't even offer older game streams.

I'm not sure of the storage space required for a decade of UK games but that might be one way to separate sources (to avoid everything getting taken down). Five domain's could cover 50 years of games. I would imagine that current year games are 80-90 percent of the bandwidth so hosting for older games wouldn't be too expensive.

I'd be willing to help someone with a UK basketball kodi repo.

This was an idea before the site was pulled down..... I'm extremely hesitant as well I'm sure Billionth is to in relaunching, its the legal stuff, we'd be on the hook for everything. As far as storage required it would be quite a few TB. you're including past and future games.

Would be great to have a "netflix" style type of site for a history of Kentucky games. I know there are a lot of fans out there who'd pay a subscription for something like that. For something legal like that to happen, would take the co-operation of all of the owners of the copyright material to allow UK to make that happen.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
This was an idea before the site was pulled down..... I'm extremely hesitant as well I'm sure Billionth is to in relaunching, its the legal stuff, we'd be on the hook for everything. As far as storage required it would be quite a few TB. you're including past and future games.

Would be great to have a "netflix" style type of site for a history of Kentucky games. I know there are a lot of fans out there who'd pay a subscription for something like that. For something legal like that to happen, would take the co-operation of all of the owners of the copyright material to allow UK to make that happen.
If you made a Netflix for U.K. style thing I would be the first one to sign up brother.

Reactions: Lost In FL
Yeah, it really sucks that this happened, but it wasn't worth the legal risk of me keeping the site going after being contacted by the SEC and told to stop or else.

Maybe 10% of the older games were from his collection. Most of the rest I converted from VHS myself from tapes that fans sent me over the last several years. Ritchie is a great source for older games though.
Billionth, one thing i loved was the video/radio sync. Flipping awesome they were... :(

ADVERTISEMENT