ADVERTISEMENT

Bill O'Brien for OC at Bama?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
That's a huge step back, imo. Wasn't impressed at PSU and definitely not impressed at his stint with the Texans. For most of Bama's games, it probably doesn't matter who is calling the plays but I don't think O'Brien is much of a coach.

Well, the last guy was coming off a stint where he’d been fired for being drunk at practice. As the head coach at USC, mind you. Not exactly a case of winning the press conference. A few short years later, the reclamation project is complete, and Sarkisian was remade into a coaching star.

I wouldn't bet against the Saban Rehabilitation Process.

Well, the last guy was coming off a stint where he’d been fired for being drunk at practice. As the head coach at USC, mind you. Not exactly a case of winning the press conference. A few short years later, the reclamation project is complete, and Sarkisian was remade into a coaching star.

And the guy before that had been fired twice over a 5 year period. O’Brien will do just fine ahd move on to another HC job in a few years.

He also had a poor run as OC for the Atlanta Falcons before becoming the full time OC for the Tide. Nothing in his past would suggest he would have the success he had at Bama. Neither does O'brien, but that doesn't seem to matter, he is the 3rd recently fired OC in a row.

Reactions: Mojocat and UKat1
That's a huge step back, imo. Wasn't impressed at PSU and definitely not impressed at his stint with the Texans. For most of Bama's games, it probably doesn't matter who is calling the plays but I don't think O'Brien is much of a coach.

Wasn't impressed at PSU?

BOB took over a scandal ridden program and had them winning games and competing in the Big14. He did a great job.

He's on the fast track now. probably UT next year if they don't pull the plug this year on Pruitt.

Probably will trust Saban since his last 3 choices have been spot on.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Nothing I've seen from O'Brien suggests that he's capable of designing plays like Dark did for OSU. Anyone on this board could be OC and Bama would win 10 games. Maybe Saban can rehab BO like he has others. Kiffin was a disaster of a HC at USC but he's always been thought of as an offensive guru. Sark had personal problems that he's seemed to beat. We'll see if BO is better than I expect.

Nothing I've seen from O'Brien suggests that he's capable of designing plays like Dark did for OSU. Anyone on this board could be OC and Bama would win 10 games. Maybe Saban can rehab BO like he has others. Kiffin was a disaster of a HC at USC but he's always been thought of as an offensive guru. Sark had personal problems that he's seemed to beat. We'll see if BO is better than I expect.

The experts raved about O’Brien in his brief stint at PSU, said he did things that were unexpected and over-achieved with what he had. If I was a Bama fan, I would trust Saban. He seems to know football and his track record with the revolving OC door has been pretty darn good.

For O’Brien he’s going to have more talent to utilize than any team they play. It’d be like the nfl pro bowlers playing the Jets. Pretty hard to totally mess it up!

Should be an interesting relationship between the two. Both major league *@#holes. Live in Houston area. BOB singlehandedly set franchise back 5 years. Did a horrible job calling plays, and Watson had his best year after BOB left, even without Hopkins.

I know the PSU fans hated to see him go, Falcon fans were the opposite. But at Bama he will have more talent than anyone he faces, I do think Bama will take a small backward step. If no spring practice again it could be a little bigger step backward early on especially having to replace 2 coordinators and up to 6 1st round picks. I don't think there is another Smith on the roster, but Young adds the running threat to the QB position. But they are still Bama, I think. UGA can put an offense on the field that can match Bama, but with the losing our top S, and top 3 CB another DB, plus one in the portal, we are going to be very young in the secondary, talented guys but no experience and we open with CU. So 0-1 won't be a shock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT