ADVERTISEMENT

Bilas says the NCAA never had a case because it wasn't in the rule book

I have wondered for years why Bilas would support such a ludicrous & frankly ridiculously ignorant argument for UNCC's blatant cheating. While I have never bought his BS about most things I never really thought him to be lacking intelligence.

It dawned on me a few nights ago that perhaps the reason is because his beloved Coach K and Duke have been doing the exact same thing for years? Hmmm that would explain his vigor in defense of the cheaters now wouldn't it..
It's because Duke and UNC is not a real rivalry and it never has been.

Nice try, given he loves you and your fellow Pukies.

True opinions of Jay Bilas from the tamest and politest fan forum on the webs. These people tend to have the nicest opinions about an alumni.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport....ing-to-Apologize-to-Jay-Bilas&highlight=Bilas

uh_no;971747 said:
no. he was a pompous jerk to a nice old lady and friend of mine at a game who asked him about grayson, to which he responded

guy is so full of himself. I can't imagine any alumni I hope gets a dose of humility at some point more than him. I don't care if he's vindicated in anything he predicts; I lost whatever shred of respect I had remaining for him that day.

accfanfrom1970;971754 said:
If he talked about UNCheats and the scandal at all...I would have respect for him. Loved him as a player. Met him at several reunion type events. Have lost respect for him and others as they ignore the scandal and heap of piling S#$#t at the dump down the road from a really great university.

kAzE;971790 said:
I don't think many people question Jay's intelligence or basketball knowledge. He's just kind of a corporate sellout, as others have pointed out. I like him as a broadcaster more than Jay Williams, though . . .

bob blue devil;972027 said:
am i willing to apologize to jay bilas?

my impression is that he has used his platform to espouse positions related to the unc scandal that appear inconsistent with his maintaining integrity. did something new come out that i missed that shows this impression was invalid? i don't give a crap who he picked to win the title - that act is for fools anyway.

There is no specific rule about pedophiles either but that didn't keep the NCAA from slamming Penn State. There are vague rules about institutional control that the NCAA uses selectively on other schools not named Duke and UNCheat. Bilas is not right, he's just biased.
You cant spell BILAS without BIAS. I met him in kuwait many, many years ago. I asked him about the espn bias toward the acc. He had no answer.

So how do you punish academic fraud in college?

(Bold is from the link at the bottom and the rest are my comments.)

On Friday, the NCAA concluded it couldn't make a finding of academic fraud due to a 2014 rules definition that allows schools to define academic fraud on their own.

So according to that the school is responsible for policing themselves.

However, after reading the NCAA's report on Friday, Whelan (SACS president) said every student who took the infamous classes "had an extra benefit." (extra benefits are against the rules for student athletes)

The classes were taught by a secretary who had no teaching credentials and was an admitted fan of North Carolina basketball. The NCAA concluded there was no extra benefit to North Carolina athletics because the classes in question were available to regular students.

According to SACS, UNC in fact did give the players extra benefits and didn't do anything about it for nearly two decades. So what do you do if they don't police themselves? You can take away their accreditation, but of course SACS didn't have the balls (pun intended) to do it.

In the end, the probation by Whelan's organization was the most significant penalty against North Carolina in a case that reached back 18 years and was investigated by the NCAA for six years.

Whelan previously told CBS Sports there was no case similar to North Carolina's investigated by the Southern Association going back at least 40 years.

So because the problem was unprecedented you decide to just give them a smack on the wrist instead of making an example out of them. They should have said that cheating to keep students eligible will not be tolerated and since this has been an ongoing problem, then UNC will lose their accreditation for x number of years. They will be reevaluated after that period of time to see if they made the necessary changes to earn their accreditation back. Instead they didn't want to harm the school judging by this comment.

"Our board debated," said Belle Whelan, president of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission, one of the two largest accreditation agencies in the country. "There were some that wanted to drop them."

That means ending North Carolina's accreditation as an institution of higher learning. Oklahoma assistant professor and NCAA reformer Gerald Gurney told CBS Sports in May 2016 that "students simply would not attend the university if it were not accredited."

There had to be a bunch of cash changing hands between UNC, the NCAA, and SACS for them to get out of this with not even a smack on the wrist from the NCAA and only 1 year probation from SACS. Maybe the FBI will be involved with this as well. They need to do a major investigation into the NCAA and it's employees. The NCAA can't even monitor widespread cheating going on on their own and had to hire a special group to clean up their own mess.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...on-agency-considered-dropping-north-carolina/

Bilas is just wrong.

First, pretty notable that NOONE else from espn even acknowledged this investigation till unc was cleared. Then they echoed the party line.

Second the ncaa had 100 reasons to crush unc. But accepted the one and only argument that allowed them to escape. To accept this argument, they also had to accept the unc argument that their use of the term "academic fraud" in a previous filing was a typo.

Anyone who buys that argument WANTS to buy it. NCAA had no intention of punishing unc. Thats why it took years to release the ruling, because it took them that long to figure out the best way to let them win, while doing their best to appear pissed.

Then they knew they had the perfect time to release it, on friday before a football weekend; with the fbi investigations, vegas shooter, and hurricane devastation all dominating the news.

It all adds up to one thing: unc and NCAA worked together to make this go away. They were partners. Not adversaries.

So why does the NCAA have academic criteria for athletes if it is left up to each individual school? Why are they required to meet certain GPA standards when a college can make up a class and assign a grade without any study or attendance. That is not cheating to give the athlete the required GPA standing?

But since Bilas says cheating does not warrant a penalty then I guess it is so. But would he have said that about any other school? Maybe Duke but that is about it.

Reactions: Chuckinden
Lack of a rule never stopped the NCAA before. With this acceptance of filth like NC, they have proven they are utterly corrupt.

I’m ashamed the Cats are affiliated with the NCAA. It is the worst thing in our history, but we have no choice. The gangsters are making the rules.

I just learned that in 2015, UNCheat even admitted that it was "academic fraud", but subsequently they told the NCAA that was a "typo". How does the NCAA infractions committee still exist, and how do they go out in public without a disguise?

Reactions: Chuckinden
What rule was the NCAA enforcing against Penn State for having a pedophile on their campus?? Not saying Penn State shouldn't have been slammed, just wondering why Bilas has turned into a cyborg rule fool and the NCAA always seems to find a way around the rules when they choose to. Guess it is not against their rules and values to create fake classes to keep athletes eligible.
"There has been much speculation on whether or not the NCAA has the authority to impose any type of penalty related to Penn State,” said Ed Ray, Executive Committee chair and Oregon State president. “This egregious behavior not only goes against our rules and Constitution, but also against our values.”
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-release-on-penn-state-penalties/
Buck Fay Jilas

So why does the NCAA have academic criteria for athletes if it is left up to each individual school? Why are they required to meet certain GPA standards when a college can make up a class and assign a grade without any study or attendance. That is not cheating to give the athlete the required GPA standing?

But since Bilas says cheating does not warrant a penalty then I guess it is so. But would he have said that about any other school? Maybe Duke but that is about it.

Why even have that stupid APR?! Lol. The NCAA contradicts themselves constantly.

In all due respect Bilas is an idiot. I'm personally embarrassed for Matt Jones for pretending on his show that Bilas had some good points. He clearly didn't. No it's not the NCAA's job to crack down on "easy" classes but these are classes that didn't have assignments, essays, tests and in some cases didn't even have instructors. There is a world of difference in an easy class and a fraudulent one, even for a lawyer.

The NCAA doesn't have specific wording for half the things they investigate. There are broad enough statutes that allow for the investigation of academic fraud. They do have language to go after North Carolina.

I would have loved to see the NCAA question UNC on the degree program itself. UNC claimed that it wasn't set up for an easy grade for athletes and that it was set up for academic reasons. I'd love to see them ask well who did request this major and what exactly was it's purpose. What gap in the academic portfolio was it designed to address? I bet they don't have an answer and if they do try to come up with one I'm pretty sure the actual curriculum that athletes followed didn't match that description. It would also be interesting to get an answer as to why it was abandoned. Even if you thought it was poorly run wouldn't you just reform it with a new leader? UNC didn't try to fix the program they totally abandoned it. That alone tells me there was no academic reason supporting it and it's total purpose was fraud.

Simple fact of the matter is there was no way to hit UNC at all on this with fatally damage Dean Smith and UNC in general and the NCAA was never going to allow that. UNC got away with it simply because they are UNC. If Virginia would have been caught doing the same thing they would be road kill right now. And deep down Bilas knows that.

Reactions: law1127
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT