ADVERTISEMENT

Bilas out there day after draft telling us coaches are wearing down with this OAD

KMKAT

All-American
Sep 17, 2003
Duluth
Bilas on Rich on TV today spouting the OAD being tough on college coaches. Wonder who he is defending here?

I had just found an article about K from 6/22 stating players should be able to go pro out of high school or be stuck at Duke for 2 years.

It got me thinking K doesn't want to keep doing this and has his 'guys' out there pushing the notion to get rid of OAD.

Saw Scheyer at the draft last night instead of K because K isn't going to be there. Similar to Roy and his hypocritical opinion, they're simply not interested enough.

Reactions: UKUGA
It's not easy. We knew this for years and knew what Cal does can't be replicated, certainly not by some late 60's stubborn coach like K.

And things only get more difficult. The cupboard becomes more bare as time goes on. Duke's last title was a mix of great freshman talent and returning veterans with leadership. The days of Cook, Jefferson, Jones and Plumlee. Good luck with a new team this year and not vets to rely on.

Personally I think Duke/K are done. He'll retire or die before that team is ever a legit threat again. He can't handle and mold freshman like Cal, and that team is gotten to get eaten up in the ACC.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Calipari begs to differ

CoachCalHoverboard.png

Reactions: USSLair
Bilas is a pompous prick. Always has been.

Let's see it's now a mantra that "1 and done isn't good for anyone" despite the fact the league just negotiated a monumental TV contract with their partners last year that saw salaries for players grow to an all time high. NCAA did same with NCAA Tournament coverage with TV partners.

Adam Silver is a Duke alum. He comes out with the "need to change" and talks up D League--excuse me "G" League as a better option and fact is Calipari has often trashed that league as a wasteland where the player takes the risk and the franchises have no investment whatsoever.

Here's a suggestion. If you are a 70 year old HOF Coach who has accomplished all you want to do and don't care for the recruiting climate or how you have to coach a team--don't take those type of athletes and coach your type of guys. Kind of like the dip$hits who love to quote college football or basketball coaches who say they would take a "3 star with a 5 star work ethic"--well then why not sign an entire team of them and don't recruit the kids who are 5 stars? That reminds me of people who said "My Mom said looks aren't everything--look at a woman's personality"--and my response was "Why not find an attractive woman who has a great personality?

The Duke "Mafia" grows tiresome. They are everywhere in CBB and with Silver as NBA Commissioner, they have his ear, last night you had 3 Duke people on both networks spewing their mantra and garbage (Seth Davis on NBA TV and Bilas and Jay Williams on ESPN). They throw out their agenda and speak as if it's universally approved. What Cal did was go on stage and take a crap on Bilas who is so gutless he wouldn't refute him to his face/on air. But it's "not working"? Not working for who? No reason to go after Trevon Duval then--oh wait--Duke needed an elite PG after getting housed because they lacked one last year. This garbage is tiresome. Just say Coach K thinks....not NBA needs next time.

I've said all along as Coach K gets deeper into the one and done system and his teams will get younger, they will struggle. He doesn't seem to thrive with those types of teams. His better teams have those Jr & Sr laden teams with guys who are willing to sacrifice for the good of the team.

Reactions: Mr_GG
Cal loves to recruit. How many one and donee I'm the first round last night? They are doing fine. Bilas is carrying K's water.

Russillo Show spending time on the OAD today.

Some guy (Will Cain?) says Cal is only good w/OAD rule. So much blather from guys who want to try and slam Cal because he's FOLLOWING the rules.

Nothing on UNC and UL criminal acts however.

Did anyone else notice when Bilas went out of his way to take a shot at Cal last night? One of the announcers was saying something along the lines of "Cal produces a lot of lottery talent at UK..." and Bilas cut him off to say that Cal doesn't "produce" them, and implied Cal doesn't develop players. He basically said they are as good now as they would have been if they had gone anywhere. What he implied isn't anything new, people have tried to argue that against Cal for years. But the fact that Bilas went out of his way to force that into the conversation proves he isn't objective in the slightest.

If you all don't think having to not only rebuild but reload every year is difficult for coaches, including Cal, you have the blue googles on. Cal makes it look easy and genuinely enjoys what he does. He helps kids fulfill their dreams of playing in the NBA while going through the tedious process of having to play a year in college. But to say that it doesn't wear him down? Example: LeBron makes the game of basketball look easy (this is a fact, your opinion of the guy or how many finals he's been to/won have nothing to do with this fact) but what we fans don't see is the amount of work he puts in and the grind he puts himself through all season. Cal is a coaching and recruiting machine but I'm sure if he had a choice, he would be able to keep his guys around longer and not have to recruit 5, 6, 7 new blue chippers every season.

Our teams under Cal, while all share the trait of being extremely talented, have shown different styles of play. Do you think that's by accident? Cal has to recruit the players he wants, teach them an elevated sense of new fundamentals at the collegiate level and then adapt to their individual strengths that will give our team the greatest chance to win. This is a challenging and grueling process for anyone. Don't mistake Cal's exceptional work as our Coach for it being "easy work".

Bilas was all over Cal's nuts during the summer before the near undefeated run.

Wonder what happened?

Does it really shock anyone that this self-important bloviated mouthpiece is out there crying about OAD? K caught lightening in a bottle a few years ago and got lucky that UK flamed out. He can't handle or manage it like Cal can, so he has his boy run out there and run his over used mouth to speak for him.
Bilas is a complete dukie tool and don't ever think for a moment he isn't. He knows Cal is gonna truly own college b-ball recruiting even moreso very soon so he's trying to derail it anyway he can for his phony coach.
Never thought I would miss Vitale.

And a lot of the times, Cal will do what is best for the player. Take KAT as a example. Coming in he was a talented "soft" jump shooter. Cal made him post up and learn post moves. He knew PPat was not suited for PF in the NBA, what does he do ? Has Patterson work on a 3 point shot. Without Patterson learning that, i really believes he is out of the league a few years ago.

In short, Cal does coach and make guys better and helps them find a strength that will help them have a long term future in the league. Do people really believe Josh Harrellson would have been drafted without Cal ? That is just a few examples. KAT would have been lotto, but he would not have been #1 overall if Cal did not make him toughen up and work in the post.

Adam Silver being a Dookie is the revelation of this thread. Good info there and a fact that never would've occurred to me to look up. Everything he says re: one and done will now be considered via that nugget.

ADVERTISEMENT