ADVERTISEMENT

Bilas going all out defending Pitino on Mike and Mike

Says there is no evidence he or anyone else knew, NCAA is inconsistent, blah blah. He's become such an ACC jock sniffing hack.

I'll agree with him in saying they're inconsistent. This decision is more consistent with what the rules state and how they've treated cases in the past. There was no evidence Cal knew about Camby. There definitely was no evidence that Cal knew with Rose as the NCAA cleared him with no red flags. What happened at UL went on for 4 straight years without Pitino finding out.

Bilas has become a complete joke, and I hate how he still tries to act like he's Mr. objectivity. I've not always agreed with his takes, but I used to always think he was being fair and gave his honest opinion. I guess he has his marching orders now from ESPN.

Last edited:
The point here isn't that Pitino knew or didn't know. It doesn't change the fact that it still happened! Pitino is lucky that they only suspended him for 5 games, and quite frankly, I think they somewhat let him off the hook with that light suspension. They aren't basing the penalty off of wether the coach knew or not. That's a ridiculous argument by Bilas. The penalties are based upon the fact that a former assistant coach provided hookers and god knows what else to players and recruits, thus making those current players ineligible, which is why the banners absolutely need to be taken down.

Also, I'll say it again, Pitino got hit on failure to monitor, which doesn't necessitate knowledge.

The NCAA is saying that if you hire someone to oversee your team, you should monitor them well enough that they don't set up a system of committing crime on your behalf.

So debating what Pitino knew or didn't know is a false premise. Louisville is guilty as sin regardless.

Of course reasonably intelligent people can read the situation for what it is. If Pitino didn't know, it was simply because he looked the other way. Multiple times and for several years.

So true. He's an insufferable know-it-all douchebag...

Listening to him weasel around trying to defend decades of cheating by UNCheat is the worst...

I can't believe that Bilas has stooped to this level. The brass at ESPN must've told him what to say and think about unc and he's in self-preservation mode. Saying the unc thing is not a NCAA issue? Well, I think its a big NCAA issue as they circumvented the academic rules to win NCAA games, so in my opinion, that's a HUGE NCAA issue. Does the NCAA not preach student-athlete? If there is an issue that makes the "student" portion questionable, then it is a NCAA issue.

That's just my opinion though.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Bilas is trying to lay the ground work to keep the wolves away from UNC

You're right. The NCAA went full bore on louisville and we all know the facade they had built with Jurich, et al. Maybe this committee on infractions might have enough gusto to actually go after unc.

Bilas had three main opinions in his discussion on Mike & Mike:

One -- There was no evidence that Pitino or anyone other than McGee knew. And this is true. There is no actual evidence. I don't fault Bilas for using this as a talking point. He's an attorney and it's understandable that he brings this up.

Two -- No one other than McGee COULD have known that this was going on because it would have required a conspiracy so intricate that keeping the secret would've been impossible. This is where I'll disagree -- as did Golic.

Three -- The NCAA is over-stepping their bounds. This is purely an extra benefits situation and as such, the punishment FAR exceeds other punishments handed down by the NCAA for extra benefits cases. Bilas thinks that the salacious nature of the "benefits" shouldn't matter. I, of course, don't agree with this either.

But his first point is a fair one. Although logic dictates that others knew what was going on.

It went on for four years. Either Pitino had some level of knowledge, or it was LOIC. Not really sure how someone could argue otherwise. 5 games is a joke.
If Pitino didn't know, his assistant/s definitely did. Direct quote from players who were interviewed:

At least seven of the recruits who engaged in sex acts with women were under the age of 18, according to the report, and one recruit interviewed by the NCAA said a Louisville assistant told the team it had practiced poorly "because y'all had strippers in there all night." The recruit told the NCAA the assistant knew about the parties because he was "close" with McGee. Another recruit told NCAA investigators it was "common knowledge" that the parties were occurring.

Seems like it's a prerequisite to be at ESPN to defend the ACC legend coaches(K, Roy, Pitino, Boeheim) to the death.

Get ready to smash your TVs as Vitale brings this up on every single game, even the ones that have nothing to do with Louisville.

Bilas had three main opinions in his discussion on Mike & Mike:

One -- There was no evidence that Pitino or anyone other than McGee knew. And this is true. There is no actual evidence. I don't fault Bilas for using this as a talking point. He's an attorney and it's understandable that he brings this up.

Two -- No one other than McGee COULD have known that this was going on because it would have required a conspiracy so intricate that keeping the secret would've been impossible. This is where I'll disagree -- as did Golic.

Three -- The NCAA is over-stepping their bounds. This is purely an extra benefits situation and as such, the punishment FAR exceeds other punishments handed down by the NCAA for extra benefits cases. Bilas thinks that the salacious nature of the "benefits" shouldn't matter. I, of course, don't agree with this either.

But his first point is a fair one. Although logic dictates that others knew what was going on.
At least one other assts knew...
Thst is in report... read article by mark schlabach of espn (surprisingly)

Edit. Mwes. Best me to it,..

I just find it really hard to believe Pitino didn't know when evidently many on staff knew and players weren't exactly keeping it a secret.

Also keep in mind part of the reason there's no evidence of Pitino knowing is that McGee has refused to stay anything about it.

Seems like it's a prerequisite to be at ESPN to defend the ACC legend coaches(K, Roy, Pitino, Boeheim) to the death.

Get ready to smash your TVs as Vitale brings this up on every single game, even the ones that have nothing to do with Louisville.
Golic must be on the chopping block... he is/has been slamming RP all morning

Last edited:
There's no other way to say it - Bilas has become a disgusting piece of crap with his continuous defense by coaches blatantly cheating

Yes we get it, YOU HATE THE NCAA! Guess what douche...WE ALL DO! That doesn't excuse a coach'a unethical behavior you goof.

You wonder why people hate lawyers? People like him, always trying to get sleazebags off the hook.

Bilas has become a complete joke. He has gone from a breath of fresh air as a game announcer/gameday guy to nothing more than a hack. He's just a game announcer. Nothing more. And he's not good at that any longer. I give no credence to his spewing.

He's lost what made him good, and that was being fairly impartial, level headed and witty. He thought he was bigger than a game announcer and morphed into a crusader for cheaters. Has Jay given his thoughts on underage kids being seduced by whores?

Says there is no evidence he or anyone else knew, NCAA is inconsistent, blah blah. He's become such an ACC jock sniffing hack.

First maybe he should read all the stuff, there are quotes that note certain asst. coached made reference to poor practices being because of hookers, second Rick or someone else had to have some idea no way the coaching staff doesn't know what is going on. Hell football coaches know most of what is going on and they track 85 or more kids. Third no way A.M. had that kind of money on his salary to be paying for this stuff out of his pocket.

The point here isn't that Pitino knew or didn't know. It doesn't change the fact that it still happened! Pitino is lucky that they only suspended him for 5 games, and quite frankly, I think they somewhat let him off the hook with that light suspension. They aren't basing the penalty off of wether the coach knew or not. That's a ridiculous argument by Bilas. The penalties are based upon the fact that a former assistant coach provided hookers and god knows what else to players and recruits, thus making those current players ineligible, which is why the banners absolutely need to be taken down.
Can I like this post more than once? This the quintessential statement on this and one I argued yesterday wathcing the press conference. Pitino's knowledge doesn't factor into the vacating of records. Everyone defending Pitino is missing the bigger picture of what really happened and how despicable it truly was. But Jay is a lawyer and this is what you would expect him to do while trying to bring down this misguided ship that is the NCAA.

So the part of the report that mentions a THIRD assistant telling the team they were practicing like crap cause they had strippers around the night before is not evidence that anyone else knew? Mmmk then.

Wish someone would step up and provide these easy counter points when fools like him spout such nonsense.

I guess it's fine to try and defend Pitino, but does it even matter? No matter what way people try to spin it, Pitino is the head coach and should be held accountable for his team. This play the victim, and saying stuff like I go to bed at 10 PM and can't be held accountable is just plain stupid.

Reactions: MWes11 and jgraf_1
Bills is a POS.

As well as anyone making Pitino out to be the victim.
The narrative is becoming about Pitino and how the NCAA "wrongfully " vilified someone with lack of knowledge. When has this defense in any circle of life ever held up? CEOs and other leaders in many other capacities have been fired for a lot less because something tragic happened under their watch.

Bills is a POS.

As well as anyone making Pitino out to be the victim.

That's the most sickening part: so many Uofl fans are making Pitino, and Jurich, out to be victims.

I'm in Louisville, talk to Uofl fans every day and I've heard ONE, yes just ONE, call both of them out. It's incredible their mindset.

Ok. Even if so, he should have known. It is part of his job to know what his assistants are doing, and to be accountable for his own AND their actions. So he was incompetent instead of going against the rules. Yeah that's better.
These are the same reasons why Calipari took his sanctions at UMass & Memphis like a man. He didn't appeal. How could he have known that Camby had taken money from an agent, or Rose cheated on his SAT. But he accepted that even though he didn't know, he was still accountable.

Bilas used to be so incredibly good. Unbiased, spoke the truth, had great insight.

I wonder what changed or what happened to him? It's kind of bizarre. Almost like someone told him he had to start being this cranky, negative, ACC lover for some reason.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and MWes11
I can't believe that Bilas has stooped to this level. The brass at ESPN must've told him what to say and think about unc and he's in self-preservation mode. Saying the unc thing is not a NCAA issue? Well, I think its a big NCAA issue as they circumvented the academic rules to win NCAA games, so in my opinion, that's a HUGE NCAA issue. Does the NCAA not preach student-athlete? If there is an issue that makes the "student" portion questionable, then it is a NCAA issue.

That's just my opinion though.
Exactly, that's what I think is an 'all inclusive' ruling. The NCAA doesn't pass out grades, but monitors the grades so to ascertain eligibility.

Oh Pimptino knew.

He knew all along. Remember he said he knew if a chair was broken at that whore house called Minardi Hall. This low life screwed a bimbo on a restaurant table, got her pregnant and then paid to kill his unborn child. You think him turning a blind eye to hiring whores to recruit players is somehow beneath him? Please. You need to remember the time period this evolved. Cal was hired at UK. Wall and company made UK a sensation and then UK followed with a final four the next year. Meanwhile, Pimptino had just lost to Morehead State in the tournament and was getting a lot of heat from UL fans because his tournament record was below average. Even worse, he couldn't beat Cal and UK. He was going to do anything to win- anything. If that meant his coaching staff hiring whores, so be it. It is undisputed that his best years at UL were when they were cheating with whores.

Bilas used to be so incredibly good. Unbiased, spoke the truth, had great insight.

I wonder what changed or what happened to him? It's kind of bizarre. Almost like someone told him he had to start being this cranky, negative, ACC lover for some reason.
He has severe disdain for the NCAA since the likeness/money thing from a few years ago and now will use any platform to show their inconsistency. I don't think it was "toeing the company line" I think it's Jay doing what he feels is necessary to get a better government for collegiate athletes.

Umm I think someone had to know. Whether it was Pitino or he just took the I don't want to know approach is debatable. You can't have strippers coming into the dorms and having sex with recruits and think that isn't going to get out. Kids talk and parents would talk so you know the word would get around that U of L was doing those things. I mean come on Jay are you that naïve or just that big of a homer.

He has severe disdain for the NCAA since the likeness/money thing from a few years ago and now will use any platform to show their inconsistency. I don't think it was "toeing the company line" I think it's Jay doing what he feels is necessary to get a better government for collegiate athletes.
Ms Bilas, you should have another cup of tea.

Great lawyer? Seems he's not doing any research
Bilas has become a complete joke. He has gone from a breath of fresh air as a game announcer/gameday guy to nothing more than a hack. He's just a game announcer. Nothing more. And he's not good at that any longer. I give no credence to his spewing.

He's lost what made him good, and that was being fairly impartial, level headed and witty. He thought he was bigger than a game announcer and morphed into a crusader for cheaters. Has Jay given his thoughts on underage kids being seduced by whores?
Well said...

ADVERTISEMENT