ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest blow outs you can remember in professional playoffs?

JStaff2187

All-American
Sep 8, 2012

I was bored the other day and came across this score. Jacksonville defeated Miami 62-7 in the playoffs back in 2000. That’s crazy.

I also remember the Vikings losing to the Giants 40-0 in the NFC Championship. That team had Moss and Carter. How you get shut out with Moss and Carter I’ll never know.

Anyone have any worse beat downs?

I'll tell you, bias aside, some of those Kentucky wins from the 2014/15 season were unreal. We were dismantling teams. You almost kinda laughed at the beatings they put on Kansas and UCLA.. not so much AT them, but almost in disbelief along side our opponents, "how is this even possible?".

Shame we got robbed of a title, that was maybe the most dominant team in 25 years.

I'll tell you, bias aside, some of those Kentucky wins from the 2014/15 season were unreal. We were dismantling teams. You almost kinda laughed at the beatings they put on Kansas and UCLA.. not so much AT them, but almost in disbelief along side our opponents, "how is this even possible?".

Shame we got robbed of a title, that was maybe the most dominant team in 25 years.
I remember looking at the score against south carolina and it was like 67-23 at one point.

I remember looking at the score against south carolina and it was like 67-23 at one point.

I really can't think of bigger beatdowns in recent memory. Sure, Alabama and Clemson, but football beat downs are common. It shouldn't be a surprise when the top5 teams in the nation absolutely wax the Temples of the world. But what we did during that year was truly unheard of in college basketball. You had coaches running scared.

I recall the Celtics closing out the Lakers in the 2008 finals by 39 or 40.

Reactions: JStaff2187
Baseball oddity, the 1960 New York Yankees still hold the record for most runs scored in a World Series (more than 60 years ago) . . . but somehow managed to lose the series 4-3 on Bill Mazeroski's HR. All three of their wins were total beatdowns, like 16-3 or something, but lost the other four games. 😨

[Just looked it up - NYY won 16-3, 12-0 and 10-0, but lost the other four by a total of 7 runs, including two 1 run losses.]

Last edited:
Chicago 55, NE 10 in the Superbowl.

I think Chicago beat Washington 73-0 in the NFL championship game many, many years ago.

And the Bears/NE game wasn't really that close. NE had no answers for the Bears' D (neither did anyone else except Dan Marino on one special night). That may be the only SB game I ever bet and I took the Bears minus the points and the over. When they ran an INT back for a TD in the 3rd quarter, I was almost guaranteed winner on both bets. Nice to have a betting situation where you're not sweating out every 1st down late in the 4th quarter.

The playoff or championship game blow outs are something else. I realize every now and then a team is just that good being matched up with a team that can’t handle them... but it’s the playoffs!!!

Georgia Tech 222 Cumberland 0 in college football.
10 days before the Olympics started in 1980 the hockey team played Russia in an exhibition game and lost 10-2.
I remember seeing the score of that Georgia tech game and thinking someone was FOS... Did Cumberlands disband football for awhile after that game?

giphy.gif

Chicago 55, NE 10 in the Superbowl.

I think Chicago beat Washington 73-0 in the NFL championship game many, many years ago.
I think you might be thinking of the SB between the 49ers and the Broncos which was 55-10. The Bears-Patriots score was 46-10 I believe.
Both qualify as huge blowouts and were never close.

They literally got rid of football before the game. But they had a contract with Georgia Tech to play a game. They just put a bunch of frat bros in uniforms and sent them to the slaughter house.
That I did not know. That would explain the 222-0 score.

Watched that game at Grafenwöhr Training Area, Germany. I happily said "skull drag" nearly the entire contest.

Medieval Inn on I-35 across from Capital Plaza. Won a square on that game and $50 bucks answering a trivia question also.

Other than the Bears/Patriots and 49ers/Broncos blowouts, Dallas crushing the Bills 52-17 in the SB comes to mind, although Idk whose been smacked harder than Denver in the SB.
Denver was also up 10-0 going into the 2nd quarter against the Redskins. They were down 35-10 at halftime. It's hard to beat a team by 35 points in a quarter.

Celtics/Lakers Memorial Day Massacre? Celtics won 148-114 and it wasn't even that close IIRC.

Cowboys getting their ass kicked by the Lions in '91 POs.

I remember that. And then the Cowboys won 3 of the next 4 Super Bowls. (Of course, they've done nothing since)

ADVERTISEMENT