ADVERTISEMENT

Big stud Orlando Antigua loses another homestown recruit....

Never met Barbee but met Orlando many times and he was a great guy.
I will say UK has not signed a consensus top 1-5 player in a few years or since Orlando left just saying. Barbee has not signed a top 5 recruit, UK I don't think has signed one since Monk, not a consensus top 1-3 player in a long time. Monk was everything from 4-7.
Anthony Davis, MKG, Terrence Jones, Harrison's, Booker, KAT, Randle pretty damn great body of work. He and Cal were a dynamic duo when it came to recruiting.
Barbee would have to really up his haul to compare to that.

Reactions: jchammock
This is still, by far, his greatest work.
AdventurousEducatedAfricanrockpython-small.gif

Losing a guy to us is one thing now he lost another SF to Depaul. Ill keep Tony Barbee thank you....https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/sting-factor-terrence-shannon

I'd take Orlando over Barbee everyday of the week. Just go back and look at their records as primary recruiters. Not even close. Impossible to compare them at other schools. You think Barbee would do good without Cal? Orlando and Cal were awesome, he was considered one of, if not the best recruiting assistant in the country while he was here. Barbee has not had that same success. He's 3rd on the totem pole for our assistants.

Last edited:
I will say UK has not signed a consensus top 1-5 player in a few years or since Orlando left just saying. Barbee has not signed a top 5 recruit, UK I don't think has signed one since Monk, not a consensus top 1-3 player in a long time. Monk was everything from 4-7.
Anthony Davis, MKG, Terrence Jones, Harrison's, Booker, KAT, Randle pretty damn great body of work. He and Cal were a dynamic duo when it came to recruiting.

The whole FBI thing and other schools cheating along with Capel and Duke had a little bit to do with that I believe.

Not to mention Bagley and family were literally provided a $1 million dollar home from Nike/Duke (fact not speculation ) along with getting out of bankruptcy debt and having tuition provide for , for a private school attended by millionaire celebrities.

Bagley and Duval (who 90% of pundits and journalists said neither had a chance of being eligible for college ball much less able to be accepted into a prestigious academic school like Duke, somehow miraculously not only became eligible but also reclassified in like 17 days

Zona/ Anton =$$$ so on and so forth

homeStown Lol

I’m not really sure the purpose of making a (low effort) thread to... to what? Try and make fun of one of our old coaches ?

2/10 OP

Losing a guy to us is one thing now he lost another SF to Depaul. Ill keep Tony Barbee thank you....https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/sting-factor-terrence-shannon
Don't blame Orlando for that, you can lay that one on the university if Illinois. Who in the world would want to play for Illinois ? I live in Illinois and I wouldn't ever even dream of playing for them. Even if I were a super star recruit I would go to southern Illinois university or the university of Evansville before I would go to Illinois. They sucked yesterday, they suck today, and they will suck tomorrow, as well as every day after. Orlando is in a no win situation there and is defeated before he even gets started.

Reactions: ukfan041
Didn’t he get in trouble with the NCAA at his last stop for recruiting violations. If that is the case, don’t know that I would risk ever bringing him back.

What were the details on that?

Reactions: TeoJ
most everyone is a function of Cal anyways.

A lot of our current assistant look far better than they actually are.

I would say Kenny Payne is irreplaceable...but other than that...

Cal with Kenny and Orlando was almost can't miss. Spend 10 minutes with Orlando and you could see how a kid would love him and his parents. This stretch with those 3 was recruiting to a level that may not be matched. John Wall, Cousins, KAT, AD, MKG, Harrison's. Terrence Jones was on phone with Orlando during KY Oaks day when he committed to Wash. Mr Antigua was the guy he called and they chatted all night to make things right the next day.
Barbee and Justis are not even in same stratosphere, these guys are still pretty good but not close. Sorry,
Believe the Wiseman recruitment would be one that Orlando would be the difference. I really do. He is that good to go along with Cal. Just great chemistry.

Didn’t he get in trouble with the NCAA at his last stop for recruiting violations. If that is the case, don’t know that I would risk ever bringing him back.

What were the details on that?
His brother let a recruit sleep at his house on a visit.

Coach O's record is unblemished. And he brought in Cousins, Wall, Bledsoe, Kanter, Davis, Noel, Randall, and Towns. We haven't had a run on recruiting quite like that in some time. That is 7 top-5 recruits. We have only had one top-5 recruit (Skal) since he left.

Here’s another stud recruiter struggling at his new university...

Jeff Capel is trying desperately for a big man - went after Stewart, Tshiebwe, and Cockburn and didn’t even make the early cuts to 8 and 12 for any of those guys.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
We don't need to shit on O anymore than people need to be trashing Barbee.

I always laugh at fans who have strong opinions but don't actually know anything about that assistant's role.

It wasn't long ago that everyone here wanted Justus gone and had zero clue that he was laying the groundwork for future classes and traveling all over the world to build relationships.

Orlando was a great recruiter for us, but he’s not Cal.

And he’s not selling UK anymore. Having a great salesman doesn’t make the product great.

You got to have a product to see in order to get the elite type kids.

No matter how good your relationship is with a coach, they could be gone next year and you’re stuck at that school.

Orlando is still one of the best in the game.

Skal was rated no lower than 3 anywhere. May not have played like it but that wasnt the point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT