ADVERTISEMENT

Big Night For AJ...

Against Sacramento...hits three run shot for #21 along with a double and SF...5rbis(80).

I wish this could translate into a real shot in the majors. He was given a cup of coffee a couple of weeks ago where he played in a total of one game.

Thought the Astros should've/would've gone after Britton - AJ would've been a good piece to send to the Orioles to replace some aging sluggers they have. Shame

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Another hot night so far AJ ...hits #26 and pushes his rbi total to 102 both of which lead all of minor league bb... Tied with two others for HR lead.

They need to trade him - a different youngster got the opportunity to play 1B for the Astros (Tyler White) and has been doing well...Reed wont see the bigs with Houston.

He could have fit in with both NY teams and St. Louis prior to going out and reacquiring Matt Adams. Perhaps Detroit because Miggy won't be around forever. John Hicks who was filling in for Cabrera is no everyday 1B there.

He could have fit in with both NY teams and St. Louis prior to going out and reacquiring Matt Adams. Perhaps Detroit because Miggy won't be around forever. John Hicks who was filling in for Cabrera is no everyday 1B there.

St. Louis likely would have only used him for a short period because Martinez is hurt. Once Martinez returns the Cardinals won't need a 1B as much.

St. Louis likely would have only used him for a short period because Martinez is hurt. Once Martinez returns the Cardinals won't need a 1B as much.
Martinez is in RF at the moment because Ozuna/Fowler are hurt which are giving free reign for O'Neill in LF and Bader in CF. Carpenter is filling at 1st shifting Martinez to the OF for now. Adams takes away any need they may have had for a 1B especially when they can rely on Carpenter with his utility ability. I expect Gyorko will be back to the bench when the OF is healthy and Carpenter will shift to 3B.

Martinez is in RF at the moment because Ozuna/Fowler are hurt which are giving free reign for O'Neill in LF and Bader in CF. Carpenter is filling at 1st shifting Martinez to the OF for now. Adams takes away any need they may have had for a 1B especially when they can rely on Carpenter with his utility ability. I expect Gyorko will be back to the bench when the OF is healthy and Carpenter will shift to 3B.

Thanks. I could have sworn that I read that Martinez had been injured. Still, Adams is basically just filling a gap while there are injuries that have moved players around. Adams also helps them by giving them a lefty if they make a playoff run. They aren't looking to fill a long term gap at 1B, they have that with Martinez as long as they are healthy. Point being that AJ wouldn't have had as much value to them, and it wouldn't have been good for AJ because he would have struggled to find playing time over Martinez. Had he possibly shown out in the majors then he might not be a bad take as a bench player, but he needs to find someone desperate for a 1B and get as much everyday time as he can.

I'd bet the Cardinals will be looking for an American League team to send Jose Martinez off to. He is horrible defensively.

Thanks. I could have sworn that I read that Martinez had been injured. Still, Adams is basically just filling a gap while there are injuries that have moved players around. Adams also helps them by giving them a lefty if they make a playoff run. They aren't looking to fill a long term gap at 1B, they have that with Martinez as long as they are healthy. Point being that AJ wouldn't have had as much value to them, and it wouldn't have been good for AJ because he would have struggled to find playing time over Martinez. Had he possibly shown out in the majors then he might not be a bad take as a bench player, but he needs to find someone desperate for a 1B and get as much everyday time as he can.
I get the point which I stated in my first post there is currently no room for the rest of the season since St. Louis brought back Matt Adams but how there could have been a use for him. Just thinking of teams that could have utilized him more than Houston has and I think long term St. Louis would not be the worst spot for him.

For Adams, it's essentially another logjam like he was in Washington. I do not believe St. Louis thinks Jose is the long term answer. Adams & Martinez have expiring contracts. Martinez is a late bloomer already at 30 and was said to be on the market before the trade deadline. A little over a month ago, he was in a platoon situation. While he is a solid bat, he was hurting them as bad defensively. He is essentially Matt Adams with a little bit less power potential who can fill in at 1st or a corner outfield spot. Yes, Matt Adams was brought in for depth and a big lefty bat off the bench. Never thought for a second he was brought in for anything more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT