ADVERTISEMENT

Big Blue Fans Over 55?

I'm 77 and I have been an avid fan since 1957. I was a freshman in 1958-59 and I remember both Slusher and Pursifal. Ky beat SMU that year after being behind 3 points with 3 seconds to go. [There was no 3 point shot then.] Rupp called a timeout and told Benny Kaufman to drive for a layup and get fouled which he did! Game went to overtime and KY won a game that they should have lost. Great memories!
It wasn't SMU, it was Maryland which was ranked #3. SMU had one of the best players that year named Max who was an All American Guard and I got the two mixed.

Welp! My birth certificate tells I'm 63, my eyes tell me I'm 73, my ears tell me I'm 83, and my knees tell me I'm 93. So, I'm not exactly sure! :confused:

You mean like how on Johnny Cash's Cadillac the transmission was a '53 and motor turned out to be a '73? And what model year was it? Well, It was a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56, '57, '58' 59' automobile! It was a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65... :D

I am also 72 and my Mom is 98 and still watches "her boys"! GO CATS!!

Back in y'all's days men in their early 20s were typically known as boys...like "college boys", "soldier boys" (Tex Ritter's Deck of Cards).

How does your mom feel about nearing the big 1-0-0?

Reactions: awf and Sawnee Cat
Back in y'all's days men in their early 20s were typically known as boys...like "college boys", "soldier boys" (Tex Ritter's Deck of Cards).

How does your mom feel about nearing the big 1-0-0?
Thanks for asking. She's struggling a bit these days. However, she loves to wear her UK sweatshirts and watch the games. She don't yell at the refs as much as she once did. The big 1-0-0 is going to be tough, but she can do it. GO CATS!!

You mean like how on Johnny Cash's Cadillac the transmission was a '53 and motor turned out to be a '73? And what model year was it? Well, It was a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56, '57, '58' 59' automobile! It was a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65... :D

[laughing]

tenor.gif

Cool thread. Thanks, Simple_Man.

LOL funny...

I'm 77 and I have been an avid fan since 1957. I was a freshman in 1958-59 and I remember both Slusher and Pursifal. Ky beat SMU that year after being behind 3 points with 3 seconds to go. [There was no 3 point shot then.] Rupp called a timeout and told Benny Kaufman to drive for a layup and get fouled which he did! Game went to overtime and KY won a game that they should have lost. Great memories!

I remember Purciful and Slusher. Purciful was a great shooter particularly from the corner.

65 and have been watching and listening to the cats since 1964. I still remember before playing LSU coach Rupp said I don't think anyone is capable of scoring 45 against our boys. After the game in which Maravich scored I think 62 coach just said damn that boy can play

Hard to believe Marivich more than 40 points a game for all 3 years he played at LSU. If there had been freshman eligibility back then, he would probably averaged more than 40 points a game all 4 years but he was also a top shelf showman with his dribbling and passing.

He and Dan Issel had some major scoring battles. Amazingly, Issel average more than 30 points a game his senior year but still finished second to Pistol Pete. Those LSU games were special.

Reactions: awf and Simple_Man
I’m 64 and primarily just read everyone’s posts than post my own opinions anymore, since I got sick about 9 years ago.
I grew up a Wildcat fan and remember my Dad listening to Cawood on the radio. I distinctly remember listening to one game with him in which Cotton Nash was playing.
My brother and I both chose UK for our undergraduate degrees as did my two daughters. My oldest daughter and I have gone to every Final4 in the Cal era. Big Blue flows in our blood!
Now that I feel like crap most of the time, UK games one of the few things that can get me fired up!

I remember seeing Austin Carr light up Kentucky every time they played them in Freedom Hall, though Notre Dame seldom won the game.

You are right. Austin Carr was one of the best players I’ve seen play against UK. He was a scoring machine. Great UK/Notre Dame games in Freedom Hall every December. How anyone ever concluded that was a “neutral site” is beyond my comprehension. I know Digger Phelps hated playing there.

Reactions: katwest
I started in 1960 listening to a small electric radio. Sometimes just barely picking up reception in the mountains at night. FM was not even on the radios we had.
I would write the name of all the players, Rupp’s name, and all the common basketball terms on a sheet of paper. My Uncle Ray was a deaf mute and the game moved to fast for me to translate in the sign language I knew. I was just a kid and he was about 30 at th time.
I would point at the names and terms as Cawood would call them and as I heard them. Sometimes there would just be static as I would try to move the radio to get better reception. I was my Uncle’s play by play man thru Cawood Ledford. I would write the scores and time of the game. I did this for years until TV coverage became better and I became old enough to discover girls and Saturday night. Then I taught my younger sister how to do it.
So I am considerably over 55. I have been listening to the Cats longer than 55.

I know one that is 83 but he may not want me to disclose who he is, but he still post some, not as much as he used to.

This is a nice thread. I wonder what the civility tenor would be to a Wildcat message board geared exclusively towards “Baby Boomer” age fans as compared to Rupp’s Rafters?

Last edited:
Reactions: Simple_Man
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT